Author Topic: Did you or a relative serve with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers?  (Read 127358 times)

maura

Re: Did you or a relative serve with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers?
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2010, 04:14:42 PM »
Garmoyle do you know when & where your grandfather was born, as I found 4 medal card index's for a Joseph Meehan in the Inniskilling Fusiler's

garmoyle

« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2010, 06:41:48 PM »
Garmoyle do you know when & where your grandfather was born, as I found 4 medal card index's for a Joseph Meehan in the Inniskilling Fusiler's
I'll get his birth address from my mother tomorrow.  I would like to get copies of his medals as the originals have gone missing. Thanks for all your help Maura.

Sean T Traynor

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2010, 06:01:12 AM »
My grandfather Patrick Traynor of Greenfields, Portglenone served with The Skins from 1919 to 1924, saw overseas service in Iraq and India. De mobbed on reduction of establishment.
Re enlisted into Royal Pioneer Corps 1941 and was lost in Borneo, November 1942.
Traynor/Trainor, McDade/Daid of Carnsampson, Kirkwood of Portglenone, Nummey & McKee of The Commons, Newry.  McKee & Warnock of Armaghbrague, Jemphrey

garmoyle

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2010, 10:23:36 AM »
Maura, do you have a Joseph Meehan from Strabane?
G

maura

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2010, 11:54:14 AM »
Sorry Garmoyle nothing coming up for a Joseph Meehan born in Co Tyrone.

garmoyle

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2010, 09:32:05 AM »
Sorry Garmoyle nothing coming up for a Joseph Meehan born in Co Tyrone.
You've been very good Maura and thanks.
I'm getting more information from distant relatives who remember that he was also with another regiment, possibly the the Rifles.  This could be when he earned his medals.
G

delane

« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2010, 01:19:10 PM »
hi,maura..is there any john mullan,s in this regiment.??..do you know of...the one i am looking for was born in dublin-city, & lived in belfast in 1898, in the dock-ward area..i keep searching & only this one comes to mind ..john mullan 6496,private..was in the 2nd boer war [1899-1902].. help needed badly...regards,...delane..
the older you get the worse you get..

maura

« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2010, 04:37:03 PM »
Sorry Delaney nothing coming up in any service records for a John Mullan born Dublin. The John Mullan 6497 was born in Dublin 1865 , but too early for your man.

delane

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2010, 08:05:52 PM »
thanks, maura, for your help..my john mullan was born in late 1870,s..it states on his marriage cert he was 22,in 1898.. on the 1911.census born [dublin-city].. i do have both his parents, names,...& his wifes. yet i cannot find any record of his service in the wars..2nd boer war..my father saw a foto of john mullan at the city-hall his cap on & his medals..from a news paper he carried in his coat... does, private 6496 1st battalion john mullan,.give any info of his next of kin.. if you find any info maura could you please let me know ,..many thanks....regards...delane..

maura

« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2010, 10:36:19 AM »
Delane the one I found father's a John but his regiment was Commissarial transpt regiment number 6497, birth parish Werburgh Dublin, document year 1885 and he was 20 year's old when he enlisted, making his birth abt 1865. I can't even find my own grandfather's record's, alot of the records were destroyed in the Blitz's ww2. Some say 60% other say 40% of them were destroyed.

delane

« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2010, 07:05:47 PM »
nice 1..maura for trying to help me..i did go to KEW in london to search for his service records in boxs. [WO97].. i do know he was in an irish regiment, one of 7,from n,ireland in the 2nd boer war.. maybe this is just a lost cause??...maybe in time we will see what the 1901,census says, where john mullan was in that time spell...my father did say he saw a foto, it could of been the 50th Aniversity of the boer war 2nd in 1952..in an irish paper..as my dad was only a kid then??..some thing will turn up some day of some news heres, wishing....thank you so much maura....all the best...delane..

rusty

« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2010, 07:40:58 PM »
my uncle was james humphrey private 19796 royal inniskilling fusiliers and served in france. he died on 31/7/1918 in france .i don't know if he died of his wounds or if he was killed in action. does anyone know how i could find this out , i know he is buried in mont noir military cemetery in st-jans cappell.

maura

« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2010, 08:07:18 PM »
Name James Humphrey
Birth place Whirehouse, Co. Tyronne
Resident Castlederg
Death date 31/7/1918
Rank private
Regiment royal irish fusilers
Battalion  9th Battalion
Number 19796
Type of casualty Killed in action
Threatre of war Aldershot

rusty

« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2010, 10:11:07 PM »
Thank-you so much Maura, your help is really appreciated. Your a wee star.    :smile: :smile:

delane

« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2010, 01:04:38 PM »
hi maura, this may just be a shot in the dark, my ggfather john mullan, who served in an irish regiment some time in the 2nd boer war. on his marriage cert in 1898..his father profession was a captain?.[deseased] age approx 38-40...can you see were i am going maura..i cannot find any info on my ggfather were i may find info on his father also called [john mullan]  i keep trying!!...regards...delane..