Author Topic: LONG LOST WW1 PHOTO  (Read 1685 times)

Hendy

LONG LOST WW1 PHOTO
« on: October 02, 2009, 02:57:52 PM »
I always remember a photo of my Great Grandfather which used to hang in his youngest daughters house.

It was of him in uniform sitting on a horse, he wore the rank of a Sergeant in the Army Service Corp 36th Ulster Division.

In later years I questioned as to the whereabouts of the photo, my Grand Mother told me that her sister had probably sold it as she was always very hard up.

So maybe it is out there in the hands of someone who appreciates old military photos.

My Great Grandfather was to transfer to the Royal Engineers 122 Field Squadron of the 36th before embarkation for France, he survived the War and seen out his days in Connaught St off the Donegal Rd. So maybe the photo could have been pawned around that area.

Has anyone seen such a photo or know of anyone who collects military photos?

Jack The Kipper

Re: LONG LOST WW1 PHOTO
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 10:35:08 AM »
Hendy, have you inquired at the Rifles museum - I know its a million to one chance
but you never know - they have a lot of stuff from the 1st world war from a lot of
regiments.
God Bless President Trump! God Bless Israel....and God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!

ned

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 12:25:09 PM »
I always remember a photo of my Great Grandfather which used to hang in his youngest daughters house.

It was of him in uniform sitting on a horse, he wore the rank of a Sergeant in the Army Service Corp 36th Ulster Division.

In later years I questioned as to the whereabouts of the photo, my Grand Mother told me that her sister had probably sold it as she was always very hard up.

So maybe it is out there in the hands of someone who appreciates old military photos.

My Great Grandfather was to transfer to the Royal Engineers 122 Field Squadron of the 36th before embarkation for France, he survived the War and seen out his days in Connaught St off the Donegal Rd. So maybe the photo could have been pawned around that area.

Has anyone seen such a photo or know of anyone who collects military photos?

To be frank it is highly unlikely that she got money for a photo. They mostly had to sell their medals. But It is a good piece of advice to go to Waring St and the RUR museum you never know what you might find. Also a bit of a long shot might be the Somme Centre in Conlig. Give it a try. Good luck.
Be careful out there folks because they aren't.

Hendy

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 02:45:18 PM »
To be frank it is highly unlikely that she got money for a photo. They mostly had to sell their medals. But It is a good piece of advice to go to Waring St and the RUR museum you never know what you might find. Also a bit of a long shot might be the Somme Centre in Conlig. Give it a try. Good luck.
My Grand Mother told me she would have got the money for the frame, I have also visited the Somme Centre on a few occasions and I have scoured everywhere just thought I might try for a snowballs chance in hell, but thankyou anyway for your replies.

marystreet

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 11:11:05 AM »
My Grand Mother told me she would have got the money for the frame, I have also visited the Somme Centre on a few occasions and I have scoured everywhere just thought I might try for a snowballs chance in hell, but thankyou anyway for your replies.
the rifles musem in belfast city centre would be a good place to look . good luck