Author Topic: Buskers wanted to appear on website  (Read 4039 times)

gchapman

Buskers wanted to appear on website
« on: February 27, 2007, 11:37:05 PM »
Hi, we're two students who are making a website about the place of buskers in Belfast's culture. We want to talk to Belfast's buskers and take photos and maybe some video/audio. Email me ([email protected]) if you're a busker and want to be involved, it'd just involve letting us know when you're next out so we can come down and interview you about your experiences of performing on the street and we'd try not to take up too much of your time. Sorry but we can't offer you any money but it'd be a good opportunity to get yourself on the internet and get a bit of publicity.

Christopher

Re: Buskers wanted to appear on website
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 11:48:54 PM »
Hi gchapman,

Welcome to the Forum.

There's not a Busking website for Belfast but there's a new site being prepared for the Dundrum Busking Festival The BBC Your Place and Mine were at the Festival and have a page about the Festival on their website. Why not post your message there too. It will be read by the YP&M team but they'll probably add your message to their page. I've had messages posted on several of the YP&M pages.

I don't want to worry you but there's a guy called Alan Deane, originally from Belfast who is now based in Cornwall. He is known as the Belfast Busker. Will your project be limited to buskers resident in Belfast or will buskers who have left the shores of Ulster be included? Will you be including Belfast guys who did some busking at one stage ... I can think of one off hand ... Terri Hooley

Christopher

Christopher

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 06:42:24 PM »
I'm presuming the Busking Project is completed. It never rains but it shines. This past week I met a busker playing a penny whistle in Donegall Place on Thursday and on Sunday I spoke to four people who have busked in their time. Three of them were just back from a somewhat crazy busking weekend in Dublin. I think the four of them each have a MySpace page ... certainly three of them have a page. 

elwoodprints

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 10:28:35 PM »
I've done a little busking in my time in dublin but I'm orginally from newtownards and am back living here now!  I was wondering if you knew the official stand point on belfast for busking!  Is it permitted, do you need a license!  Cos corn market is a fab pitch and I have a lot of professional, full show buskers that would love to work belfast!

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 04:47:34 PM »
Hello elwoodprints,

You're really getting organised. Organising craft fairs and planning to go busking. You're not available to play in a band by any chance ... Forum member Soo P is looking for band members. She's an artist as well as a musician ... I'm not sure if shw displays her work at Craft Fairs.

I posted a Bulletin for Belfast MySpacers asking about licences and busking as I know that a few of them have busked. It mightn't be a bad idea to call in at the Rotterdam to get advice from the lads there ... Ludwig should be able to help and a few of the others have busked. A PM to Forum member Ruth McGonagle might get the answer to your question as she has busked in both Belfast and Dublin.   

Christopher

elwoodprints

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 09:25:21 PM »
Thanks Chistopher!

I'll let you know if I find anything out!  Yeah I'm trying to be all proactive at the moment and get all organised, I've been interested in so many activities and arts for so long but it's hard to crack into those circles!

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 03:51:11 AM »
Hi elwoodprints,
What instrument do you play ??? Did you come across a guitarist named Nial Lawlor whilst you were in Dublin? I hope some of the promoters in Belfast get to hear about this guy and invite him to play at a few venues in this part of the world. 

There was a message on MySpace inviting members of that site to have a look at a new Forum called IrishRockers.com If you visit that Forum have a look at the General Discussion board where there's a thread headed "Amazing guitarist - A busker that deserves his page on IrishRockers.com" You can see Nial on YouTube ... http://tinyurl.com/4gpzzf

Christopher

elwoodprints

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 06:07:15 AM »
Sweet! I'll hafta check him out - I might know him - I knew most of the buskers.
I play the viola - not a very exciting instrument - actually most of the busking I did was juggling!
I was very good friends with all the "circle show" acts - like stickman - lies on beds of nails and juggles chainsaws!!! (you can check him out on myspace or youtube - I think url is probably timothyterror and O.G. - juggles fire and has strange body parts - contortionist!  He also is the bassest in an Irish punk rock band called ONOFF - these guys are fantastic and finally starting to make it with the immenient release of their third album!!! You can check them out at www.onoffmusic.com if you're into that style!
Their was also Sean and James and Jimmy - guitars - did the best version of Halleughah I've ever heard and on the street like!
I don't know if you know but there's always an international busking festival in Bangor at the end of August - all those guys will be there many of them have won it in the past!
If anyone's looking for irish bands for gigs or street performers for like full hour shows (that's what these guys do the street) I should be able to round up a few contacts!!!
Wasn't a great juggler myself but got sucked into the hippie bohemian lifestyle and kinda following that now!
Anywho hope life's treating you good!

elwoodprints

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 07:56:23 PM »
I do know Nial!  Used to see him a lot on the street!  He's fantastic - really talented!  There's a couple of really fantastic buskers on Grafton!  There's Jimmi - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=61106714
and Sean is a legend - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=68851310

Christopher

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 08:33:51 AM »
I wonder what happened to the photos of Belfast buskers taken by gchapman and the other student. 

There are some great buskers on MuZuTV www.muzu.tv/buskertv/breffni-o-rourke-music-video/18846