Author Topic: Sydenham  (Read 116681 times)

irish

Sydenham
« on: October 20, 2009, 11:21:44 PM »
Hey anyone out there from the Sydenham area?   
I was born there many years ago.  Devon Parade.

I have not been home in years. MY sister took a ride down there & she said it had really changed. It was my gradparents house & I lived with them.
I am now living in New Mexico USA

sydenhambetty

Re: Sydenham
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 02:54:11 PM »
Hi Irish, How are things in New Mexico? I am from Sydenham. Been gone a long time too. Welcome.  
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.  Oscar Wilde

irish

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 11:31:24 PM »
Hi Sydenham Betty,
Good to hear from someone from the old stomping ground.   What part where you from & where are you living now?

New Mexico is a great place to live,  I have lived here since 1979. My youngest son Sean had his first birthday here.  We were originally from New York. 

You cannot beat the weather here, & you get very little rain.  Plenty of sunshine.
My aunt Maureen came to visit a few years back she fell in love with it.

Thanks for replying.

Frances

sydenhambetty

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 12:15:15 AM »
Hi Francis you don,t have to sell me on New Mexico. Beautiful place. I lived in So. California for 18 years. I am now back though where
I started in Toronto Ontario Canada. Came here at 17 from home. I lived just off Pimms Avenue in Hillfoot Street. Walked down
Devon Parade lots of times. I still miss the old neighbourhood because I had a great time growing up there. Glad to have you on
here and stay posting.   Cheers Betty.  :)
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.  Oscar Wilde

DMW

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 06:19:57 PM »
Irish  - attempting to restart this thread - even though it is old  - I came from Connsbrook Ave - btwn Devon Parade and Connsbrook Dr  - Desi Whyte is the name
Could I know you ? I moved to Canada in 1965  -  Also Sydenhabetty and I have been contact previously on "Any exiles from East Belfast"thread - look there to see if there is anyone you know.  Also there was another thread started by  -ulsterstan- back in August 2006n - also named  Sydenham

sydenhambetty

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 06:33:44 PM »
Hi Desi I am glad you have brought this wee thread up to date. Was with Jim Weatherup yesterday and mentioned you. He could,nt remember you but remembered your brother. It was great talking to him and the time flew by. Keep on posting on this wee thread and keep Sydenham going. When we arrange another meet I will keep you informed and maybe Jim will come as he wants to stay in touch. He is married to my
friends sister. Hope all is well at your end. :air_kiss:

irish colleen

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 06:39:46 PM »
not wanting to butt in here but seeing this post reminded me that back in 67 I knew a Ted Mooney from Sydenham his wife was Canadian her name was susanne he was a jeweller all his family lived in Sydenham  Ted and Susanne went back to Canada I think in 68 it was they lived on hollywood road near Co-Op maybe you know then Sydenhambetty please excuse me for butting in just it has been awhile since I thought about them  IC
HAPPINESS IS BEING IRISH

sydenhambetty

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 08:14:19 PM »
Irish, don,t know the name. Wish I could be more help to you. :air_kiss:

DMW

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 12:16:25 AM »
Irish Colleen - where are you located/from ?  Do you know where about on Holywood Rd the Mooneys lived - it quite a long road and there could be more than one CO-OP. AND DON'T feel you are butting in ALL are welcome.
Betty thanks for your response - I wonder if Chris can combine these two threads on Sydenham - also I got a message from him(Chris - aka Belfast Forum) saying one of my postings did not go through.Could it be because the thread was old(you got it!) but possibly the originator - Irish -(Frances) not Irish Colleen -a different person is no longer on Belfast Forum.  I'm new to this only since April this Year
And I'm sure Jimmy would not recall me  he is couple of years (2 or 3) older than me as was my brother - he passed away in 1986 at the early age of 45

sydenhambetty

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 12:57:08 AM »
Desi, sorry to hear about your brother, that is way too young. I will tell Jim when I meet up with him again. Yes I think the two threads should combine. :smile:

DMW

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 09:45:31 PM »
Betty Thanks - yes he was young I had visted him in Whiteabby hospital-  left on Sunday and two of my sisters - one here in Hamilton and another from California came in the same day I left - but he passed away on the following Wednesday but I could not turn around and go back home,so soon. Lucky they were there to look after his 3 sons - 18-16 and 10 at that time. His wife (also a Betty)
had passed away a few years earlier at  just  35 from Huntingdons  Chorea.  The boys turned out fantastically.
The eldest became a Baptist Minister. the Middle one works for Harland & Wolff ( now Bombardier) as an aircraft
wing designer - they brought him to Montreal(with his family) to work for 18 months - last December. The youngest put himself through Edinburgh University as
an Engineer and currently is Area Supervisor for what used to be British Telecom (like Telus or Rogers telephone division) for SW England,all of Wales and Northern Ireland.
I choke up when I thinkn how weel they've done. 

DMW

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 10:25:29 PM »
Betty  I said my nephew worked at Harland & Woff - it should have been Short & Harlands  - Desi

irish colleen

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 11:18:19 PM »
Irish Colleen - where are you located/from ?  Do you know where about on Holywood Rd the Mooneys lived - it quite a long road and there could be more than one CO-OP. AND DON'T feel you are butting in ALL are welcome.
thanks dmw    I made a mistake on the name it was moody he was Ted   Susanne his wife they had 2 daoughter  very close together   we live in those flats almost facing the road you go down to go to sydenham rail station  then 67  they lived in the ver first one beside the shops and we lived in the next one         those flats are still there  Ted had a jewelery repair I think on the newtownards road his family all lived in the sydenham area  that is all I know about them lovely couple they were     we were all very youn  then  :scratch_ones_head: :smile: Betty thanks for your response - I wonder if Chris can combine these two threads on Sydenham - also I got a message from him(Chris - aka Belfast Forum) saying one of my postings did not go through.Could it be because the thread was old(you got it!) but possibly the originator - Irish -(Frances) not Irish Colleen -a different person is no longer on Belfast Forum.  I'm new to this only since April this Year
And I'm sure Jimmy would not recall me  he is couple of years (2 or 3) older than me as was my brother - he passed away in 1986 at the early age of 45
HAPPINESS IS BEING IRISH

william bickerstaffe

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 09:36:08 PM »
hello there betty do you remember the mcalleese,s on conns brooke

DMW

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 10:16:19 PM »
William  - What part of connsbrook did they live ?