Author Topic: belfast chippy pastie recipe??? Anyone??  (Read 36229 times)

eddee295

belfast chippy pastie recipe??? Anyone??
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:04:32 PM »
does anyone have a recipe for the pasties that you used to get in befast chip shops i had 1 but lost it i used to live in mount st east belfast, and lecale street donegall rd. its been years since i have been back but lately all i can think of are those pastis and i cant find recipe. if you can help me i would very much appreciate it. eddee295

grannyspice

Re: recipe for pasties
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 10:34:25 PM »
eddee did you buy your pasties in the chippie on the corner of Mount Street and Glentoran Street? Anyone remember what that chippie was called? I know there was another chippie in the other side of Mount Street owned by Mrs Dane but dont think her pasties were in the same league. Eddee, my aunt and uncle lived in Lecale Street. They were called Seaton. I lived in Malcolm Street till 1963. Beatties chippie in Tates Avenue was, and still is very good.

sydenhambetty

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 10:56:16 PM »
Eddee I have a recipe but if you could hold on a few days I have to dig it out. Will get back to you soon.  :)
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.  Oscar Wilde

mcd

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 11:00:52 PM »
Hi grannyspice the name was Beggs chip shop their fish was really good but small if i rembember right ... where was malcolm st i know the name just cant think where it was
Light travels faster than sound, This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

sydenhambetty

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 12:07:19 AM »
Eddee herewith the recipe for Pasties.... Combine cooked sausage meat and mashed potatos. More meat that potatos also finely
chopped onion in a bowl. Add a dash of nutmeg, same of Mace, allspice, corriander, ground ginger, ground cloves. Lots of Pepper.
Mix all together and form patties then dust with flour. Freeze and when they are frozen you are ready to cook. Batter is Self Rising
flour and soda water to form a soft batter. With a spatula drop into deep fat and fry untill golden brown.
Hope you enjoy with a few homemade chips, bread and butter. Good luck.
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.  Oscar Wilde

grannyspice

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 04:08:50 PM »
Hi grannyspice the name was Beggs chip shop their fish was really good but small if i rembember right ... where was malcolm st i know the name just cant think where it was
Hi mcd - Malcolm Street was in the other part of Mount Street and it ran from Mount Street to the Albertbridge Road. The Duke of York pub was at the bottom of the street where it also joined Clermont Lane.

grannyspice

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 08:34:01 PM »
Eddee herewith the recipe for Pasties.... Combine cooked sausage meat and mashed potatos. More meat that potatos also finely
chopped onion in a bowl. Add a dash of nutmeg, same of Mace, allspice, corriander, ground ginger, ground cloves. Lots of Pepper.
Mix all together and form patties then dust with flour. Freeze and when they are frozen you are ready to cook. Batter is Self Rising
flour and soda water to form a soft batter. With a spatula drop into deep fat and fry untill golden brown.
Hope you enjoy with a few homemade chips, bread and butter. Good luck.
Betty thanks for that from me too. Have written it all down and cant wait to try them out. Mcd thanks also for telling me it was Beggs chippy. Always had a big queue there

Seaviewite

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 02:08:07 PM »
Hi mcd - Malcolm Street was in the other part of Mount Street and it ran from Mount Street to the Albertbridge Road. The Duke of York pub was at the bottom of the street where it also joined Clermont Lane.

A quiet wee pub the Duke Of York.
I remember goin' in one Wednesday night. There was two or three fellas playin' dominos in the corner, seemed to be nobody behind the bar.
After a few minutes I spoke to the fellas in the corner to see if they knew where the barman was. One of them got up, moanin' his head off, "Name a Jasus" he says' "A man can't even get playin' a game of dominos without somebody wantin' to buy bloody drink" ;)
When at Thy call my weary feet I turn
The gates of paradise are opened wide
At Goodison I know a man can learn
Rapture more rich than Anfield can pr

pussy-galore

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 02:21:53 PM »

Hi GS - Is this where The Mount Conference Centre now stands?  :-\

grannyspice

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 06:17:11 PM »
Yes Pussy it  is indeed. In fact I have told my children that my family home is now a bus stop!!!Remarkable changes down there now. Could never have visualised it.  Do you know of anyone having tried the restaurant in the Mount Complex?? If so what was it like?

grannyspice

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 09:02:35 PM »
Betty my husband made pasties today using your recipe. They are absolutely gorgeous. Many thanks. Ooooooooh they are really scrumptious. Thanks again.
 Margaret xx

sydenhambetty

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 09:04:38 PM »
Grannyspice..so glad you enjoyed them. Now you can have them anytime.  :-**

eddee295

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 08:01:28 PM »
thank you betty for the recipe will try it this week end sounds good to me. i used to get pasties at all those places you mentioned also i think there was one around swift st as well. i think the seatons lived about 4 doors from me in lecale st, i didnt spend a lot of time at home then but i know i met them, eddee295.

pussy-galore

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 02:03:51 AM »
Yes Pussy it  is indeed. In fact I have told my children that my family home is now a bus stop!!!Remarkable changes down there now. Could never have visualised it.  Do you know of anyone having tried the restaurant in the Mount Complex?? If so what was it like?

No, can't say i do, GS.  :smile:

kraftcheese

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 07:31:06 AM »
Freeze and when they are frozen you are ready to cook.

Hi Betty,  Thanks a lot for your pastie recipe which is really delicious and the most authentic we've had outside of Belfast.  We made a batch of about 20, ate 6 of them, and left the rest in the freezer.  When we want to have them again, should we thaw, or partially thaw them before putting them in the hot oil?  Would appreciate your advice.  (I'm not much of a cook, as you would have already guessed.)  :swoon: :swoon:
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.