Author Topic: belfast chippy pastie recipe??? Anyone??  (Read 36735 times)

grannyspice

Re: recipe for pasties
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2009, 10:07:10 PM »
Maureen I live at Cregagh and always at this side of town. Aunt Margaret Seaton was my late father's sister and as you know traditionally us children visited our mother's side of the family more often, though we did visit Lecale Street about once a month.  I would not know a lot about the Seaton family other than Ella and her husban Alec Farrell were missionairies in Japan for a long time. Kenneth was the youngest and he would have been about 3 years older than me. I do have another cousin who lived closer to them and when I next see him I will ask him more about the family,.

maureenr25

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2009, 11:00:27 PM »
Maureen I live at Cregagh and always at this side of town. Aunt Margaret Seaton was my late father's sister and as you know traditionally us children visited our mother's side of the family more often, though we did visit Lecale Street about once a month.  I would not know a lot about the Seaton family other than Ella and her husban Alec Farrell were missionairies in Japan for a long time. Kenneth was the youngest and he would have been about 3 years older than me. I do have another cousin who lived closer to them and when I next see him I will ask him more about the family,.

Thanks Grannyspice,  When I lived in Belfast it was on Clonduff Dr. off Castlereagh rd.  My cousin owns a shop on the Cregagh Rd.  McGrath Office Supplies. It will be interesting to hear about more Seatons, I'm sure we would be related somehow, don't you?  I will email my cousin in Bangor this week and see if any of these names mean anything to him.  He still owns the family home on Windsor Rd. Belfast.

grannyspice

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2009, 11:09:55 AM »
Maureen did you go to Lisnasharragh. My daughters both went there. They are both in their 40s now. I know McGarths shop very well and would be in there from time to time.Regards
Margaret

maureenr25

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2009, 12:59:35 PM »
Maureen did you go to Lisnasharragh. My daughters both went there. They are both in their 40s now. I know McGarths shop very well and would be in there from time to time.Regards
Margaret

No, I left Belfast just before starting school.  My cousins lived on Carney Cres at the same time and they went to that school.  Their names were Boal.  If you go into McGraths you must know Kelly and Sally.  They are related to me.

misslexilea

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 09:36:12 PM »
A quiet wee pub the Duke Of York.
I remember goin' in one Wednesday night. There was two or three fellas playin' dominos in the corner, seemed to be nobody behind the bar.
After a few minutes I spoke to the fellas in the corner to see if they knew where the barman was. One of them got up, moanin' his head off, "Name a Jasus" he says' "A man can't even get playin' a game of dominos without somebody wantin' to buy bloody drink" ;)

misslexilea

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 09:43:49 PM »
My granny and granda used to be the landlords of the Duke of York bar in Malcolm Street I think this was during the 60/70s. I have heard many fond stories Of the bar. I believe it had a real homely feel with a big open fire and sing songs etc. Just laughing here wondering was the bar man my granda lol  :)

marycolette

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2012, 02:56:00 AM »
The chippies don't use meat in their pasties.  I know they use old chips in the mixture.  Does anyone know if you can purchase pastie spice mix??
marycolette

pipefitter

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 07:31:05 PM »
..The best pasties on the planet were from Phillips chippie that was on the corner of armitage street off mersy street they were nicknamed flyin saucer pasties and i think they were made from spiced pork sausage meat wrapped in potato bread. The chippie was owned  a couple called phillip and isobell from the 50,s to early 80,s .both the chippie and street have gone but the memories of growing up there haven't and i can still taste those drippin fried pasties mmmmmmm

bailieguys

belfast chippy pastie recipe??? Anyone??
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 09:49:38 PM »
I'm an expat living in Arizona.  I relly miss a pastie every now and again. I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me out.

Kenny.

Burnsy

Re: belfast chippy pastie recipe??? Anyone??
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 10:27:49 PM »
ballieguys,

If you post on the Canada Today thread the ladies on there will be able to help you, although I'm not sure if they are any good. :D
It's Nice to be Nice.!!

jean79

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2012, 08:29:21 AM »
I was told that the secret to a good Irish pastie was to use cold chips my friend was home for a trip to belfast and was told this by someone from a chip shop worth a try gl

zeebeedee

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2012, 11:45:27 PM »
Use the search function, this subject has been covered at least half a dozen times since the forum started.
 :) :)
Political Correctness is the new Fascism
There is no-one more unchristian than the devout Christian

ger

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2012, 01:17:49 AM »
jean 79 you,ve just confirmed what i often thought. Nicest pasties i ever ate were Mat Daltons which were made with meat, pieces of onion chips and whatever else he used. Have never tasted any to match them although Beatties come a close second

shamie

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2012, 01:53:13 AM »
ballieguys,

If you post on the Canada Today thread the ladies on there will be able to help you, although I'm not sure if they are any good. :D
                                   The pasties or the ladies ?????????   ???

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2012, 07:15:15 PM »
I'm an expat living in Arizona.  I relly miss a pastie every now and again. I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me out.

Kenny.
My mum & aunt used to have a chippy in Gortfin Street. This is how they made Belfast pasties but you might have difficulty getting an ingredient in Arizona. They used to mix vegetable roll from the butchers with cold mashed potato and some seasoning,form it into rounds,about 3inches across and 1inch thick then coat it in batter and deep fry it until golden and cooked through. Last time someone brought me back some vegetable roll from Belfast to England it wasn't as nice. They used to put more leeks, tomato etc in it. I suppose u could try using sausage meat and add your own veg. My Mum's/Aunt's were lovely probably not too good for the arteries!!!!! They also used to make scallops (not the seafood ones) from slices of peeled large spuds sliced about 1/4 inch thick coated in batter and fried.