Author Topic: belfast chippy pastie recipe??? Anyone??  (Read 42613 times)

pete57

Re: belfast chippy pastie recipe??? Anyone??
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2019, 11:43:37 PM »
are you for real pete  .. I'd need to have a hole in my head to request your recipe   ..  trapped wind/2 weeks   ..   

no thanks   ..   I once got hold of a pasty recipe  ..  followed the instructions/ingredients to a tee  ..  main spice

was nutmeg   ..    sliced the log like mass   ..  cooked on the bbq    ..    my God it was revolting   .. 

never again for me   ..   I'll stick to the traditional Cornish pasty  ..  baked in Cornwall ..   all ingredients locally

sourced ..     :dance:

A good blow out now and again is always beneficial. I wont take no for an answer ,i will mail the recipe to you and i wont hear another word about it ! get it into ye !  :0)

valkillow

Re: recipe for pasties
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2019, 11:23:32 AM »
Thanks for this, Hoover.

I kind of followed most of it but being the thicko I am I got a bit lost with the bit that said : one to 30.

What does that mean ?

Thanks Hoover.

it means 30 times more pepper than salt but don't forget they were making loads so just salt and pepper to taste like you would with your dinner or it will be too much pepper.

* I want my Ulster pastie and I want it now  ;)

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2019, 02:14:56 AM »

of one of my friends who had giant lumps of deep fried monkfish scampi. 

What is " Monkfish Scampi "... ???

I was of the opinion that Scampi was only ,  Shrimp or Prawns or Lobster  .. :-\

scampi skăm′pē, skäm′
   n. Large shrimp broiled or sautéed and served in a garlic and butter sauce.
  n. a large cooked shrimp
  n. a langoustine or Dublin Bay prawn
TRUTH, is in the eyes of the beholder, but it's a pity that some have Cataracts

syriana

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2019, 05:13:08 PM »
What is " Monkfish Scampi "... ???

I was of the opinion that Scampi was only ,  Shrimp or Prawns or Lobster  .. :-\

scampi skăm′pē, skäm′
   n. Large shrimp broiled or sautéed and served in a garlic and butter sauce.
  n. a large cooked shrimp
  n. a langoustine or Dublin Bay prawn

http://seafoodacademy.org/monk-fish.php

Pedantic post Bloomers.  Back in the 1970's Monkfish was used widely as a scampi substitute - surely you're old enough to remember that.  In recent times Monkfish has become expensive so it's probably cheaper to use prawns nowadays.  If you feel strongly about it you should ring the Lighthouse Bar and Grill in Donaghadee at 02891884316 and give them a brollicking - Jumbo Monkfish Scampi is still on their menu.
No answer is an answer.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2019, 10:09:09 PM »
http://seafoodacademy.org/monk-fish.php

Pedantic post Bloomers.  Back in the 1970's Monkfish was used widely as a scampi substitute - surely you're old enough to remember that.  In recent times Monkfish has become expensive so it's probably cheaper to use prawns nowadays.  If you feel strongly about it you should ring the Lighthouse Bar and Grill in Donaghadee at 02891884316 and give them a brollicking - Jumbo Monkfish Scampi is still on their menu.

I had checked it out on the INTERNET , before I made my ORIGINAL Post   :D

My take on it is as follows.

The " Fur Coat and no knickers Crowd " who can't afford REAL Scampi , eat an upgraded form of the regular Battered Fish with their CHIPS,

and they call it SCAMPI, -----  Typical " Cherry velly talk "  ;    only in Norn Ireland , eh   :haha: 

From the  LIGHTHOUSE  MENU.

Jumbo Battered Monkfish Scampi --------------------------12.95 W/ mushy peas, tartar sauce & chunky chips

Local Ale Battered Cod & Homemade Chunky Chips------12.95 W/ mushy peas and tartar sauce

James James

« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2019, 08:26:43 PM »
https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/fish-seafood-counter-monk-fillets-serveover/p-1028883000

€34.99 per kg  =  £ 28.60 per kg !

Perhaps consider just investing in some Bushmills instead.   ::)

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2019, 09:30:22 PM »
https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/fish-seafood-counter-monk-fillets-serveover/p-1028883000

€34.99 per kg  =  £ 28.60 per kg !

IF, that is the Retail Price of RAW MONKFISH ---- I can see that there is good  chance that Restaurants are SUBSTITUTING cheaper fish  ;)

" Firm, white, mild fish that can be cut into thick fillets are the best substitutes for monkfish. Angel fish most closely resembles monkfish

although they are not related. Angel fish is comparable in weight and yield and can be prepared using the same cooking methods as monkfish.

Grouper, red snapper, black cod (sablefish), striped bass, tilefish, turbot, orange roughy, Alaskan Pollock, sturgeon, hake (whiting) can also

replace monkfish in a variety of recipes. These types of fish fare well with the same cooking techniques used for monkfish..."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2754475/Is-Fish-Fraud-y-One-six-cod-suppers-sold-chip-shops-actually-cheaper-type-fish-says-food-safety-expert.html

ANGEL FISH

MONKFISH

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2019, 09:49:20 PM »

I almost forgot, it was rumoured that some Chippies in the 50's were serving up Dog Fish aka Rock Salmon, in Belfast  :o
 Maybe some of the Forum Members who owned / worked  in Chippies , could comment ...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2707964/Warning-Your-fish-chips-actually-SHARK-Steve-Boggan-reveals-unsuspecting-customers-conned-vast-scale.html

" DM, you'v surpassed yourself. All of my generation (forties-kids) have known all our fish&chip-eating lives that "Rock Salmon" is actually

Dogfish , Bull Huss, Tope or other shark species. Don't insult our intelligence with this puerile rubbish. Give us some real news articles, please. "