Author Topic: Restaurant critics in Belfast !!  (Read 12683 times)

EllCee

Re: Restaurant critics in Belfast !!
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 10:26:38 PM »
"We had 2 bottles of house red"

Red wine with an Indian curry?  Ugh. 

Strong, cold lager beer, or cold water is all that can be drunk with a spicy Indian meal.  Definitely NOT red wine.

IMVHO

:)  ;)
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Christopher

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 10:37:52 PM »
It looks bad when a waiter pursues you up the street, Mr Bounce.

In my book he should have been standing at the door saying "Was everything all right, Sir? We look forward to seeing you again." Anyone who remembers Tom McGrattan at the Windsor Restaurant, Donegall Square South in the 50s and 60s would know what good customer service means. I wonder if there are any 10/10 places these days. I suppose your high scoring place could be another person's low scoring place .. places can have their good and bad nights.

I was given advice about the quality of Guiness in pubs many years ago. If there are a large number of old gentlemen with a pint in their hand or on their table it's good ...if not forget it. The same probably applies to restaurants .. if you have to wait while others finish their meal it is good .. if there are only a few having a meal go elsewhere.

EllCee

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 11:03:26 PM »
It looks bad when a waiter pursues you up the street, Mr Bounce.

In my book he should have been standing at the door saying "Was everything all right, Sir? We look forward to seeing you again." Anyone who remembers Tom McGrattan at the Windsor Restaurant, Donegall Square South in the 50s and 60s would know what good customer service means. I wonder if there are any 10/10 places these days. I suppose your high scoring place could be another person's low scoring place .. places can have their good and bad nights.

I was given advice about the quality of Guiness in pubs many years ago. If there are a large number of old gentlemen with a pint in their hand or on their table it's good ...if not forget it. The same probably applies to restaurants .. if you have to wait while others finish their meal it is good .. if there are only a few having a meal go elsewhere.

And when on holiday on the Costa del Wherever, eat where the locals eat, not where the holiday rep reccommends.

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

weedotty

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2006, 02:34:13 AM »
Les,
Cant say I'd agree with your comments about eating where the locals eat. When you are in a country where the locals appear to have a different rate of cleanliness, you don't want to eat there....thanks all the same.
While  holidaying in Mexico, some of the locals eat from taco type stands where I would not dream of eating from....cooking outside, no sinks to clean hands, taking money...sure their stomachs may be used to that, but on the whole, non-Mexicans aren't used to that. 
Sure some are clean, but others...run for your life.

Christopher

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2006, 03:56:51 AM »
What about some of the things you ate as a kid, Weedotty ???
Did you never pick a biscuit off the floor, blow some dirt off it and eat it ???

weedotty

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 04:13:33 AM »
Sure  I did, a good blow and a wipe on one's sleeve did the trick and I'm still alive.
But, I'm older and supposedly wiser now and do not want to get sick while on holiday. After all, I spent a lot of money to get there and don't want anything to spoil the much anticipated trip, or a visit to their "professional hospitals"...many horror stories there too, plus fighting afterwards with some of our medical insurance companies...no thanks. Me, I try to adapt the attitude that it is better playing safe, than sorry, especially away from home  in a country where I cannot speak their language. :(

EllCee

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2006, 09:54:28 AM »
Les,
Cant say I'd agree with your comments about eating where the locals eat. When you are in a country where the locals appear to have a different rate of cleanliness, you don't want to eat there....thanks all the same.
While  holidaying in Mexico, some of the locals eat from taco type stands where I would not dream of eating from....cooking outside, no sinks to clean hands, taking money...sure their stomachs may be used to that, but on the whole, non-Mexicans aren't used to that. 
Sure some are clean, but others...run for your life.

Sorry Dotty, I assumed that I didn't have to mention using common sense.  And to be honest, I was thinking more of the European resorts in Spain, Portugal, France, Italy  etc.    ;)

However, in 8 years of working in Libya, the one and only time I ever had food poisoning or any sort of stomach upset, despite eating food from some rough and ready roadside cafes and stalls, was after a lunch in the modern and sophisticated company canteen.  I was ill from both ends for three or four days afterwards.   :'( :-X

EllCee

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2006, 06:59:47 PM »
I've been reminded that one time I was really really ill with very severe food poisoning was after eating chips from a chippy not very far away from here. 

I had sat my Morse Code test and bought chips on the way home.  By 2230hrs, I started going to the toilet, which I continued to do very often and at all times of the day and night  for the next two weeks.

I haven't bought anything from that chippy since 1988.

weedotty

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2006, 07:04:17 PM »
Don't blame you Les...what a  bummer...excuse  the pun  ;) ;)

MAgeeka

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2006, 04:11:11 AM »
Anyone ever gone to Omeath in the 50s They used to sell cockles oysters right at the shoreline   Well that was the worst case of food poisoning I ever had, after eating 6 of  them  The illness lasted more than a week

Christopher

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2006, 04:19:23 AM »
I've been reminded that one time I was really really ill with very severe food poisoning was after eating chips from a chippy not very far away from here. 

I had sat my Morse Code test and bought chips on the way home.  By 2230hrs, I started going to the toilet, which I continued to do very often and at all times of the day and night  for the next two weeks.

I haven't bought anything from that chippy since 1988.

Is it still in business under the same owners or has it changed hands since those days, Les ???

Christopher

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 03:38:25 PM »
Has anyone heard of ArtEast recently ??? Has the Forum's Restaurant Critic died of food poisoning ??? I've found some Reviews of Belfast Restaurants on MyBelfast.co.uk but think a few of the places may have closed or now be trading under a new name. Is Larry's Piano Bar still there in Bedford Street? Do we have any members who eat out on a regular basis and would be willing to post reviews of restaurants for the Forum?

Belle Fast

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2007, 03:28:22 PM »
I'm a foodie and like good food at a good price, I will not pay unrealistic prices for food in any restuarant. Belfast has some great places to eat, the pub grub is the best I've had. It gets down to individual taste and expectations. I wouldn't worry if a place was empty or it was family run it's what's on the plate that matters. Like Les I've eated all sorts of eateries, from vendors on the beach in Nha Trang to street vendors in Hong Kong. Fortunately I've a stomach of lead and my kids have inherited my best feature. :)

Christopher

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 05:00:22 PM »
I wonder if there's still a late night kebab trailer on the Malone Road near the Egg and the Bot ???

daleigha

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2007, 09:11:54 AM »
i was at printers on fri night for dinner - opposite the duke of york?!? quite yummy, but im a veggie & they only had one veggie option so a bit disappointing really.... everyone elses meals looked good tho.... ???

a place i wouldnt bother going again is bennetts on the belmont road.... but on up the road is gourmet burger bank which is faaaaaaab!!! :D