Author Topic: Restaurant critics in Belfast !!  (Read 12682 times)

Mrs Timberlake

Re: Restaurant critics in Belfast !!
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2007, 01:56:07 PM »
Me and Him Indoors were at Mynt in Belfast for our lunch the other week.  It's the old Parliament (a gay bar) in Dubar Street.  Believe it or not, it was recommend to us by a Drag Queen mate of my husband's who works in the bar at the weekend!

I would definitely recommend it for lunch.  I had a 8 oz home made burger served with fried onions on toasted ciabatta bread with real chips (no oul frozen muck), homemade coleslaw and side salad.  The other half had gammon (a proper big slice of gammon off a joint, not one of them oul rubbery 'gammon steaks'.  His was served with chips and vegetables.  The waiter was very pleasant and very attentive.  He kept coming out apologising for the wait (we were hardly waiting any time), as my burger was quite thick and the chef wanted to ensure it was cooked through.  The food arrived about a half an hour after we ordered, which I don't think was a long wait at all.  We had two pints of Harp while we waited.

I would definitely give Mynt a 10 out of 10.  It was busy enough without being crowded, the staff were extremely friendly and the food was delicious.  The pints of Harp weren't bad either  ;)  There were tables and chairs outside for those who smoked.  Prices were excellent - our meals were about 6 quid each - so overall we had a lovely lunch and two pints each for about 20 quid.  The menu was very good, with plenty of choice.

I realise that Mynt being a gay bar might put some people off, but we were made to feel more than welcome and were so settled after the two pints, we didn't want to leave!  I wholeheartedly recommend it.
Does my face look bothered?

daleigha

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2007, 02:38:57 PM »
Gourmet Burger Bank have just opened a new branch (if thats the correct word!!  ???) beside the bot. Its just a good as the original one on the Belmont road - the food is delicious - obviously it is burgers & chips, but the range of burgers is great & they are all made from meat sourced from NI, and they have three veggie options so thats me happy!!!
the burgers range in price from about 6 - 10 and are huge - we usually get a chip between the two of us as it isn't really necessary, and the milkshakes are beaut!!
the service is really fast & the staff are attentive - the only issue i would have is that you don't book, once time we went over to the one on the Belmont road & there was a huge queue & we were told there would be a wait of at least 45 minutes.  but i have been to the new one beside the bot a couple of times & its been fine!!
would totally recommend it - 5 stars!!

daleigha

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2008, 01:36:30 PM »
couple more reviews for ya's.   O0

the point, ballyhackamore
was here for dinner on Friday night - would highly recommend!! the early bird menu, which is on until 6.30pm (i think!!) - tho only weeknights i think -  meant that selections off the menu were only 7.50 - i had an artichoke pasta ensemble which was yum, and others had steaks (2 extra), and the OH had the salmon - which he said was delicious!!  ;D
we also availed (took so much persuasion!!) of the delish range of alcoholic coffees - me & my bro had one with jack daniels & grand marnier in - was worth the 4.50!!  O0
afterwards we went for a drink in the bar - me & my brothers girlfriend shared a jug of cocktail - 11.50 - but we got about 3 1/2 drinks each from it - so quite a wee bargain!!!

the blue print pizza co, stranmillis road
was a bit disappointed with this to be honest - it had gotten restaurant of the week a while ago in the South Belfast Community Telegraph, so my hopes were high.
good selection of meals & pizzas, and the price is very reasonable - my veggie lasagne was 7.75 & it was a good big portion, but there isn't really any atmosphere & its so skinny its like sitting in a corridor!! also, there was only one ladies toilet - it has seats outside for the summer so i cant imagine what the queue would be like when its busy - me & my galpal had to use the (singular) mens loo as we couldn't wait much longer!!!  :-[

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 01:30:07 AM »
LES

It is perfectly correct to drink RED WINE with curry. O0

July 01, 2000     
  Volume VII No. 7

Specialized Branded Wines Make the Buying Choice Easier for Consumers

By Ryan Quinn

Beverage brand owners are exploiting increasingly specialized niche areas of both the on and off premise trade. Two highly specialized and distinctively branded newcomers enjoying great success in their respective categories, proving that when it comes to market placement, specific doesn't necessarily mean small.

Currying Favor

Cobra is an Indian owned company with its headquarters in London. Cobra owns and markets the Cobra Beer brand, one of the fastest growing beer brands in the U.K. They also recently launched a new wine brand called General Billy's. Both products specifically target the booming U.K. Indian restaurant trade and claim to be the ideal match for spicy food. 

According to Karan Bilimoria, Cobra's founder and director, Cobra Beer can be found in well over 70 percent of the Indian restaurants in the U.K.--of which there are about 8,000 and counting. Bilimoria's strategy with the General Billy's wine brand is similar to the path he took ten years ago when he introduced Cobra Beer. Then, at age 27, tired of being offered only "harsh, fizzy European lagers" with his curry, he decided to create his own beer that would complement Indian food, or so the story goes. Cobra Beer was born.

Now Bilimoria has come to the rescue of wine drinking curry eaters. "I searched wine from more than 15 countries, including India, the Americas, Australia and Europe to find wine which would complement rather than fight with spicy food," explains Bilimoria.

"It is notoriously difficult to match wines with Indian food but finally I discovered a blend of Terret Sauvignon (white) and a Merlot deep in southern France, both of which are perfect."

Cobra promotes General Billy's wines primarily as an accompaniment to Indian food but is quick to add that they are equally good on their own. Recognizing the opportunities inherent in the huge rise in popularity of Indian food, Cobra has not only capitalized on the trend, they have nurtured the trend itself. Their offbeat advertising campaign (featuring Dave the curry-holic) encourages the consumption of curry as much as it does its own product.

Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

abbey

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2008, 01:50:17 AM »
LES

It is perfectly correct to drink RED WINE with curry. O0

Agree - my favourite a NZ Villa Maria Cab Sav Merlot O0

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2008, 05:50:54 AM »
Abbey

Right on O0

There is no accounting for taste ::)
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

giannineo

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2008, 06:24:10 AM »
To me  you can drink what you like with anything you like if you enjoy.I enjoy the Indian beers chilled best with a curry but see no reason why not to drink your preference.I have had wine with a curry also but prefer the volume of the beer and I find the  Indian beers are not too gassy.Certainly there are wines and drinks which go best with certain foods as they bring out or compliment the taste....but, a little of what you fancy is fine .
          The hot countries of India  and Japan are big importers of fiery Whisky for instance.I remember having a very spicy hot meal in Greece(scorpion fish with chillied potatoes) and the restaurant served a drink of  water melon which had gone through the blender...perfect.
   If in doubt ,stick to corporation ale...but not with curries.
      There, that will add to the confusion :D ;) ;)

EllCee

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2008, 06:52:44 PM »
"LES

It is perfectly correct to drink RED WINE with curry. "

Not if you don't like it, it's not.

I've tried red wine with a beef and with a chicken curry and I don't like it.  In my opinion, and in the opinion of many others, cold lager or cold water is what to drink with curry.

So far as I am concerned, you can drink red wine, Guinness or tequila with an Indian curry, I won't.

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

kat1

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2008, 07:00:55 PM »
les,

can you recommend a good indian restaurant,  would like to go out for one on friday night.

kat

AL CAPONE

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2008, 07:16:21 PM »
Kat my mate swears by this place.

http://www.thespiceclub.co.uk/

EllCee

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2008, 07:20:21 PM »
I've only ever been to one in Belfast, and it is no longer in business.

However, the Bengal Brasserie on the Ormeau Road gets good reports.  It's opposite the police station, on the corner of Whitehall ??

There is another on Botanic Avenue, opposite the Regency Hotel, and the Ashoka on the Lisburn Road.  We once went to one on the Stranmillis Road, but neither of can remember the name.  It was good though

Have a look here:  http://www.restaurants.co.uk/htmlpages/County_Antrim/Belfast/Indian.htm

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

kat1

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2008, 07:35:17 PM »
thank you gentlemen :)

BigAgiesMan

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2008, 07:49:43 PM »
The Ginger Root, Great Victoria Street  O0 O0 Strength of Curry depends on no. of kisses you ask for  8) 8)

kat1

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2008, 07:55:04 PM »
ginger root?  number of kisses?  sounds like Gian's place ;D ;D

BigAgiesMan

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2008, 07:58:53 PM »
Or you can stipulate what Johnny Cash you want in the morning 8)