Author Topic: Restaurant critics in Belfast !!  (Read 13645 times)

Arteast

Restaurant critics in Belfast !!
« on: June 11, 2006, 03:45:18 PM »
 ;)

Hi,

I'm new here so let's give it a go, I'm a food lover ( I'm, French) and whisky connoisseur.
I like to go out during the week ( I avoid the weekend) in order to enjoy good food, service and drinks.
I hope to be able to share some of my experience.

My first review:

JAMES STREET SOUTH

No 21 James Street South
Belfast
BT2 7AG
Tel: 028 9043 4310
www.jamesstreetsouth.co.uk

Ok:

Very Good food, small portions, but elaborate cuisine, service is ok, and a good Cigar selection.

Good Points:

:)
+ Haute cuisine,
nice menu,
excellent wine list,
brilliant web site.

:(
- The layout for a table of 2 is very poor, there is no intimacy ( large open space)  too many table for such a small room.
Portion are quite small.
Evening Meal is too pricy ( value for money)

Enjoy it.

Arteast

Christopher

Re: Restaurant critics in Belfast !!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 08:41:01 AM »
Thanks for the short write up on your visit to a restaurant Arteast. It was a new experience. I hope you do not mind my criticising your article. The usual gourmet write up describes what a couple had for their meal. Many of the write ups include an approximate cost of the meal for two. What do you mean by OK? Could you possibly use a star system
5 for Excellent
4 for Above Average
3 for Average .. is that what you mean by OK
2 for Leaves a lot to be desired
1. Dont think of going there. I wont go a second time.
What type of meal did you have .. Irish, Italian, French, Thai, Chinese .. there are restaurants for so many nationalities.
I note you are a whisky lover (obviously you prefer Scotch) I am a Whiskey lover (I prefer Irish) Oh by the way .. what difference does it make if a restaurant has a brilliant web site .. I feel it is so much important to know if they have a good chef. You can't eat a web site :D

Arteast

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 12:46:57 PM »
 ;D
Great, thanks for your feedback.
Ok, let's do it this way,  having a relevant rating system with the stars from 1 to 5 one been the best.

For the different sections we can start with the following, fell free to add some more.

1) Overall Layout
2) Atmosphere
3) Seating
4) Menu ( Choice/easy to understand)
5) Wine List ( Variety..)

6) Staff ( Service/Professionalism/...)
7) Overall food quality and preparation.

-Example of meals.
-
-
8) Prices

We can mention as well if there is an easy access for disable, Kids Area or Menu, Smoking or no smoking area, High Chair, do they accept groups, Early bird menus, bring your own drinks,  

What do you think about this rating system?

Thanks,

Arteast

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 04:10:52 PM »
Brilliant Arteast. Easy access for disabled is an important point. I understand that the No Smoking in all places in introduced throughout Northern Ireland as from January 2007

Addy

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 01:29:37 AM »
Ah here we go !!! I wondered when Smokers would be brought into it !!! If there is a current disaster blame a Smoker,they are to blame for anything that goes wrong. Ban them,burn them,ostresize them. They are the cause of all illness. When they are picking on us,do they calculate their Carbon Deficit. I hope to see their faces when we have been burned at the stake and are rid of us and they are presented with the increased Taxes to fund this ever increasing black hole called the NHS. I now know how the Wiches of Salem felt as the fire rose up towards them. >:(   
Cheer up !! It could be better !!!

Christopher

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 09:10:48 AM »
After all we have done for them too Addy. We helped keep people in employment and kept the NHS going for years. Who will get the blame for those higher Taxes I ask you? Not all smokers used hospital beds or died of cancer. Alchohol causes much more damage to society and yet is not banned. Again I ask you why? Will alchohol be next in the queue to be banned? No way. Will budgies, canaries and dogs be banned from peoples houses in the same way that circuses are being banned because they say circuses are cruel to animals. Again no way. Why. Does anyone know why? Budgies and canaries in their natural environment do not live in cages. They love the sunshine....flying around enjoying themselves under the bright blue sky. How do their owners treat them ... exceptionally cruelly.

They (whoever thay are who feel they ought to control ... nay indeed have the right to control our destiny) after banning the hunting of the vermin fox because they say the sport was cruel have smelt success and feel banning everything enjoyable is good for our souls. Back to the days of the Puritans.  Hunting is healthy for both horses and humans ... hunting is a good social occasion too .. it brings country people out for the day .. they see their neighbours and have friendly chats with them ..ye gods and little fishes the English people gave in to such a ruling. I see the banning of hunting has not yet been introduced in Ireland .. a good thing too. 

By the way Addy what has this to do with "The Arteast Good Food Guide" ???

Addy

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 06:25:23 PM »
Haven't a clue !! Just thought I'd throw it in !!  Good food and related pleasures are interlinked !!! Women included,but they are hard to find !!!   :)

Christopher

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 06:40:05 PM »
Haven't a clue !! Just thought I'd throw it in !!  Good food and related pleasures are interlinked !!! Women included,but they are hard to find !!!   :)

Addy, have you thought about a job on Blue Peter ??? Zoe Salmon, a former Miss Northern Ireland worked on
the programme. I am not certain if she is still there. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3951183.stm

Addy

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 11:13:20 PM »
A beautiful Woman indeed. The problem with Modern Woman is they think all beauty is from without. They have forgotten  about the Beauty from within  !!! :-X  

Christopher

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 01:55:03 PM »
Hiya Arteast, have you dined in The Old School House Inn near Comber?

A Friend and I had a meal in Kelly's Cellars Good efficient service... told us how soon a meal would be ready ..
we were in a hurry so they made excellent club sandwiches for my friend. I had soup and salad sandwiches. 

giannineo

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 09:17:33 PM »
The smoking ban has been in Scotland for some time now.Most pubs have people standing outside puffing away,and pubs have ashtrays mounted on their wall(except those which are listed buildings).Many pubs have put tables outside during this hot summer;but I believe that councils are going to be charging them for the use of the pavement.Restaurants too are not allowed smoking,and this I support for the non smokers.However,common sense has gone out the window  and the government still collect the tax on the commodity which is harming every ones' health.The winter will tell a more accurate story as smokers may not brave the outdoors ciggie and drink a carry out at home.Some old guys I speak to no longer visit the pub and miss the 'craic' with their buddies as they cannot have a smoke.
         However,unnecessary 4 wheel drives on school runs still pollute the air as do gas guzzling Jaguars of over weight politicians.
         Surely a compromise of pubs/restaurants with a smoking room should have been allowed.
         Smokers at Dundee F.C. Stadium can no longer have a puff at the Stadium under Club Rules following the Govt. ban,but cholesterol raising pies are still sold there.
      If the govt. are so concerned about our health them they should ban all health endangering activities.Hypocrisy methinks.
       Anyway,good thread and interesting to read about Belfast 'ating houses'.

Christopher

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 07:27:41 AM »
Ach the times have changed since Greasy Joes :D We have gone upmarket wi the Rankins having a chain o' places, Nick a Warehouse and thon man Deane moved into the city from his Railway Station in Helen's Bay 8)

Fermanagh June

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 11:59:56 PM »
Anyone tried the fried Seagulls in KFC Enniskillen?
Think that would get a minus minus.

Maby a trip into schools would give a better perspective since now the kids are eating better than ever.

I'm just waiting on mine landing home and asking for some fancy dish, there may be a riot as big as a fight in my kitchen.
June

PS, discussions about smokers in resteraunts have no place here, since when did you see a smoker with live taste buds?
If ya cant be good be careful.

Christopher

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 12:13:11 AM »
I spoke to a mum in Ballynahinch the other day. She told me that the pupils in St Patrick's Primary in the town are still having burgers and chips. She has to make a packed lunch for her kids.

Mr Bounce

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 09:19:56 PM »
Out for a meal last night,fancied an Indian,so as we internet people do i looked for one on yell.com
http://directory.visitsouthbelfast.com/Gingeroot/
First empressions not good,place was very quiet,we had booked for 7.30 and when she checked our booking i noticed only 3 more for the night.
The place strikes me as a family run affair which i dont think works nowadays,on to the meal we had poppadoms and a variety of accompaniments,mango chutney,yougart with mint,cucumber and spring onion,very refreshing,and another side that was too hot and too salty.
We had 2 bottles of house red which was very nice at about a tenner a bottle,the starters were onion bahji and vegetable pokora,I asked for a recommendation for the main course and the waitress advised a lamb dish that wasnt on the menu but was available,my 2 friends also had lamb dishes with two types of nan.
Overall i thought the meal wasnt bad but the service wasnt up to standard,the main butt of contention was the lack of atmosphere.The bill came to about 90 which wasnt over the top,but after signaling the waitress for the bill several times when we got it we were keen to go so we put the money in the bill book and handed it to the lady at the till and left,only to be persued up the street by the waiter asking had we payed our bill.
So over all i give it about 6/10