Author Topic: Balmoral Industrial school (Ballygomartin)  (Read 2506 times)

joanmelville

Balmoral Industrial school (Ballygomartin)
« on: October 25, 2009, 09:31:31 PM »
Hi everyone Has anyone ever heard of this place ?It was apparently a school for neglected ,orphaned or abandoned boys.My grandfather Hugh Melville  was there aged 15 in 1911,which is why of course I couldn't really find his parents anywhere on the census...I really need to go back home to find all this out(I'm in Spain by the way)but can't go until at least July....Has anyone ever heard of it ,or know where there might be any more details of the pupils there?Would that be in proni?Does anyone know if the building still exists?or are there photographs?I love the site by the way and have been helped hugely in the past!Thanks to everyone Joan

simonjm

Re: Balmoral Industrial school (Ballygomartin)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 07:23:51 PM »
Hello joanmelville,

I have just stumbled upon your request. I too have found relatives listed here in 1911-William and Henry Elwood. From the limited info I have it seems these Industrial schools were set up for orphaned and or 'problematic' children from poor backgrounds who were deemed likely to not attend formal school and turn to petty crime. The conventional wisdom at the time was that the rigourous structure and strict discipline would build character. In many cases these lads later joined the armed forces (especially during WW1) certainly mine did. As you say, you may be able to find out more in PRONI but be mindful that these records may be subject to the 100 years confidentiality rule. If you get to Belfast before I do, do let me know how you got on.

Good Luck

joanmelville

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 02:54:01 AM »
sorry I didn't reply -didn't see it until now-No I didn't go home yet,so I don't know about it,but I do know my grandfather had 2 brothers who were in the workhouse Lisburn road in 1911 aged 7 and 9-probably because both parents died aged 35 around 1907...Was there an epidemic or something then?

Mulholland Hart

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 12:01:49 PM »
My grandfather was there in 1911. There is a gap in records so I can't find out why he was there but his brother was there in the 1911 census, He died of TB shortly after. My Grandfather was in the Tb sanatorium but managed to leave healthy enough.

normalynne

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 05:14:35 PM »
I have just found my grandfather's name (after weeks of searching) at this school in 1911, he was 11 years old.  Does anyone have any further information on the place?  How could we find out about his parents I wonder?

normalynne

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 03:13:32 PM »
Thanks to one of your hero members, I found out about his parents, and grandparents and so much more.  What a great help!  This is a wonderful forum.  Many thanks to GMcM

BenBeag

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 03:15:05 PM »
Hi.  If this is the industrial school at Balmoral, it is still there as part of Musgrave Park Hospital and you can see it on Google street view.  There's a brief history here: childrenshomes.org.uk/BelfastBalmoralIS/

normalynne

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 03:29:10 PM »
Thank you for the information, will check out the site.

Regards,
Norma-Lynne