Author Topic: Titanic and Nomadic Convention 6th - 8th April  (Read 4970 times)

Christopher

Titanic and Nomadic Convention 6th - 8th April
« on: March 07, 2007, 03:37:16 AM »
                                          The Nomadic Preservation Society

in collaboration with

Titanic Conventions

have pleasure inviting you to the

‘THE TITANIC & NOMADIC CONVENTION’

to be held in Belfast 6th, 7th and 8th April 2007.

The Convention dates coincide with the 95th anniversary of RMS Titanic’s disaster and the 96th anniversary of .SS Nomadic, the last White Star Line ship still existing in the World and the former Titanic’s service ship.

Various fascinating visits willl be possible on Titanic’s construction site : Old Harland & Wolff Administrative Buildings (Thomas Andrew’s Office, Drawings Room,), RMS Titanic and RMS Olympic’s slipways, the Thompson Dry-dock (where Titanic was fitted out), Abercorn Basin and Hamilton Dry-Dock (where SS Nomadic was fitted out), Thomas Andrews’ House…..Inaugurations, exhibitions, lectures, Gala Dinner, … will …………. !  For the first time for the past seven years, SS Nomadic will be opened to the public!

SS Nomadic is the last survivor from the whole White Star Line fleet.  She is also the last direct floating link with RMS Titanic.  She was built in 1910/1911 on Harland & Wolff’s slipway #3.  She has been launched on 25th April 1911 and fitted out in the Abercorn Basin.  She was then delivered to the White Star Line on 27th May 1911.  Nomadic attended the departure of Titanic’s older sister, the Olympic, on 31st May 1911; the same day Titanic was launched!  She ferried Bruce Ismay, Lord Pirrie, J.P. Morgan and other VIP’s. on board RMS Olympic.

The 67 meters long tender was devoted to the transportation of 1st and 2d class passengers in Cherbourg, White Star Line’s port of call.

On 10th April 1912, the SS Nomadic ferried 274 passengers to« The Ship of Dreams » calling in Cherbourg.  Well-known millionaires John Jacob Astor, Benjamin Guggenheim, Molly Brown …

Later, during World War I, SS Nomadic was used as a troopship ferrying thousands of US soldiers landing in France.  In June 1940 she participated in the evacuation soldiers and citizens from Cherbourg before being returned to Britain when France was occupied.  There she acted as a troopship for apprentice soldiers from Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight.

After WWII when the White Star Line was absorbed by Cunard, Nomadic (by then renamed Ingenieur Minard) returned to Cherbourg, in 1945, and continued to carry passengers to the Cunard liners – including the two great Queens: Elizabeth and Mary.  After serving the Queen Elizabeth in November 1968, Nomadic was sent to the breakers yard.  However, she escaped an inglorious end when she was acquired and converted into a floating restaurant on the river Seine, near the Eiffel Tower.  She had a 30 years second career in Paris.

Threatened with the scrap yard, Nomadic Preservation Society founders launched the SaveNomadic.com campaign late 2005, in collaboration with Belfast Industrial Heritage Ltd.  The campaign was a tremendous success as we received pledges from the World over for more than £56,000/Eur 84,000.

Arrived safely in Belfast on board the AMT Mariner, a special immersible barge, more than 8,000 people came to Belfast to see that unique relic of transatlantic liners golden age.

The monies raised by public subscription towards Nomadic’s acquisition and restoration was, with DSD’s permission, used to acquire magnificent original paneling and artifacts removed off the vessel during her conversion to a floating restaurant.  These include a considerable quantity of her original panelling, including the wonderful onate ‘bulkhead’, with its apertures for clock and etched mirror, from behind the first class buffet, an original door with grills intact, and an original table (complete) and the legs from five others.

We have also purchased her sole surviving lifeboat from the Chantereyne Museum.  Originally Nomadic had two lifeboats; unfortunately, these were left to deteriorate and one was in such a poor state of disrepair that it was burned by the museum.  The surviving one also is in poor condition but, if it is not restorable, it will be preserved for all time and it will act as a template to create replicas.  To our knowledge this is one of, perhaps, only two White Star Line original lifeboats still in existence and it may well now be the only one.

Since her return to Belfast, Nomadic has undergone some repair work by Harland & Wolff Shipyard (the yard that built her) to the hull where holes had been punched through to accommodate pipes for air conditioning etc.

Nomadic has also undergone several surveys in order to determine hull integrity.  We are thankful to report that she is in remarkably good condition.  Her hull has lost little, if any, density and she has now been moved from Harland & Wolff across river to the Barnett Dock which will be her home for the next eighteen months or so while work continues on her...

The Nomadic Charitable Trust has now been set up in order to oversee the restoration of the Nomadic.  The Trust includes representatives from Belfast Industrial Heritage Ltd., Nomadic Preservation Society, Belfast Titanic Society, World Ships Society, Belfast City Council, together with Government and business representatives.  The Nomadic Charitable Trust has agreed on our vision to restore the Nomadic and make her accessible to the people of Northern Ireland so that she can play a key role as a celebration of the Titanic and Northern Ireland’s maritime heritage as well as acting as a catalyst for tourism and social and economic development.

Nomadic Preservation Members are actually engaged in First Aid repairs including providing temporary covers to protect the vessel from any further damage from rainwater ingress whilst the exciting plans for a comprehensive restoration are being developed.  We all look forward to the day the Nomadic takes her rightful place as a major cultural and tourist attraction in her home city....

Contacts:

John White – Operations Director – 0044(0)7947 876837

David Beddard – Head of Funding Nomadic Charitable Trust – 0044(0)7970 593572

Philippe Delaunoy – European Coordinator – 0032(0)494.426296

Nomadic Preservation Society

"Titanic's 'Little Sister '- Last of the once-mighty White Star Line"

stewie

Re: Titanic and Nomadic Convention 6th - 8th April
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 02:29:08 PM »
Chroistopher heard an appeal on the radio looking for voulenteers to go down and to i bit of work on the Nomadic painters joiners that type of thing ???they are trying to get it opened for the public by easter time :D should be worth a visit ;)

Hindcaster

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 02:34:04 PM »
I see the Nomadic has appeared in the lough. She is moored beside the Odyssey.Be better looking once she gets her funnels fitted.Looks a bit like a barge at the moment.

Belgenland

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 08:57:48 AM »
Dear all,

Nomadic will be opened to the public during T&N Convention starting next Saturday.
The Nomadic Preservation Society is still looking for staff to work on board.  Don't let pass that unique opportunity to work on board the last White Star Line ship in the World.  We are looking for people at the Reception, Cafe, Gift Shop, Security or as Steward!!!

Please contact John White [email protected] or David Beddard [email protected]

We look forward to meet you all on board for Easter.  Her external aspect is not yet attractive but we started restauration of interiors.  Come and walk into the saloons used by Titanic's millionaires !
Philippe Delaunoy
European Coordinator
Nomadic Preservation Society

"Titanic's 'Little Sister '- Last of the once-mighty White Star Line"

ardieB

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 11:56:40 AM »
Hi Bel
Do you think the proposed "ghost ship" project will float,so to speak? It certainly seems very ambitious.It is a shame that so little of the shipyard remains.When they bulldozed the site just down from the Odyssey it was a shame and disgrace.It is still lying vacant and more of her heritage destroyed.
ardie

Belgenland

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 12:30:54 PM »
Hi ardie,

Sorry I forgot to sign my post.

My name is Philippe Delaunoy and I come from Belgium.  I am the European Coordnator of the Nomadic Preservation Society and I have been working for the return of Nomadic to Belfast since July 2000.

I, for myself, have quite little information re Titanic's Quarter's project but I doubt the 'Ghost ship' will be a floating 'replica'.  I think it will only be an iron empty shell  :'(

BUT Nomadic is real and believe me her interiors and splendid !

I will fly from Belgium to Belfast and attend the T&N Convention.  So I hope I will meet you soon on board ...  ;)

Greetings from sunny Belgium

Philippe

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 12:37:45 PM »
Gee ardieB,

You shouldn't ask such questions   they're difficult to answer. We've a great example of the Nomadic Preservation Society's publicity here. I spotted details of this event on 7th March and opened this tread to inform members. Stewie heard some details on the radio and posted those details on the 20th March. Now just one week before Easter Philippe Delaunoy, European Coordinator of the Nomadic Preservation Society decides to post a message looking for volunteers. I get the feeling they are not too well organised. They're not exactly showing consideration for people. I'm certain that a lot of people who might have been able to volunteer may now have made other arrangements for Easter.  

Do you think we should put out an appeal light bulbs for the "ghost ship" I think a Son et Lumiere on the wall of that building that appears to be on the opposite side of the Lough to the "ghost ship."would be a great idea. I wonder if they still have such a form of entertainment.

ardieB

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 12:43:32 PM »
Yes it was one of the reasons I brought it back up to the top,Easter is only a few days away and most of us have family things to do or trips away arranged.
I think the building is still there,over the lough and is maybe Clarendon docks/grain warehouses.
ardie

Christopher

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 12:44:27 PM »
Hi ardie,

Sorry I forgot to sign my post.

My name is Philippe Delaunoy and I come from Belgium.  I am the European Coordnator of the Nomadic Preservation Society and I have been working for the return of Nomadic to Belfast since July 2000.

I, for myself, have quite little information re Titanic's Quarter's project but I doubt the 'Ghost ship' will be a floating 'replica'.  I think it will only be an iron empty shell  :'(

BUT Nomadic is real and believe me her interiors and splendid !

I will fly from Belgium to Belfast and attend the T&N Convention.  So I hope I will meet you soon on board ...  ;)

Greetings from sunny Belgium

Philippe

Welcome to the Forum Philippe.

What do you mean you forgot to sign your name ??? I saw your name on your post. I hope you've no objection to the comments I made about the way that the Nomadic Preservation Society appear to be going about things. It looks slightly chaotic to say the very least.

I hope large crowds visit the Nomadic over the Easter period and throughout the year. If you're planning anything over the July holiday period you'd better start posting the details immediately after Easter because large numbers of Belfast people go away, others go marching on parades and visitors complain that everything is closed over the Twelfth. By the way ... advance publicity about the Co. Down Twelfth gathering ... it takes place in Ballynahinch this year. 

All the Best,

Christopher

ardieB

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 12:48:40 PM »
Hi Philippe
Why not put some photos of the Nomadic interiors on the Forum? We all have seen it on the news or when it was moored at the Odyssey but I dont know the condition of the ship inside.It might generate more interest to those who havent seen the ship.
Just a thought. 8)

Good luck!!! ;D

ardie

Belgenland

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 12:51:17 PM »
Christopher,

I forgot it into my first post.

No problem re your comments.  But you must know that NPS does not own the ship.  The owner is DSD.  NPS is working on behalf of the Nomadic Charitable Trust set-up last October by DSD and they first have to meet, decide and then NPS can act.

Things are moving, slowly but moving ...

All the Best,

Philippe

Christopher

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 12:55:14 PM »
Gee, I hate acronyms. You have to google them or use a dictionary 8)

Not only that ... they keep changing the titles 8) DSD is the Department of Social Development.

ardieB

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 01:01:23 PM »
Looks like a committee is involved. That will slow things down a bit!
ardie

Belgenland

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 01:10:13 PM »
ardie,

Here are some links to NPS website and forum.  You can follow the latest developpements re the Convention, restoration, ...

http://www.nomadicpreservationsociety.co.uk/thumbs.asp?p=1&sub=2
http://www.nomadicpreservationsociety.co.uk/thumbs.asp?p=1&sub=3
http://www.nomadicpreservationsociety.co.uk/thumbs.asp?p=1&sub=5&page=2
http://www.ssnomadic.co.uk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=99
http://www.ssnomadic.co.uk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=80

Most of the pictures were taken during restoration/refurbishment works.  She now have new carpets, her iron gates have been restored/repainted in Black and Gold, ...

For your information, Nomadic will be moved from Barnett Dock to Queen's Quay tomorrow 6th April about 09:00am

Feel free to contact me if you have any question.

All the Best ,

Philippe

Belgenland

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 01:13:47 PM »
Yes,

DSD is the Department of Social Development and the Trust is composed with Members from DSD, Belfast City Council, Belfast Harbour Commissioners, Belfast Industrial Heritage, Belfast Titanic Society, Nomadic Preservation Society and maybe some other bodies (sorry if I missed one)

They only meet once by month.

Phil