Author Topic: erskine mayne  (Read 5177 times)

kathbert

erskine mayne
« on: November 01, 2009, 12:28:52 PM »
hi, did anyone on this forum frequent erskine mayne's on donegall sq. west. I remember buying my first beatles single there in 1963. (please please me ) I used to browse in their book shop quite a lot, and their female sales staff (especially the record dept) HI kathleen, were exceptionally friendly.

justluvbeingme

Re: erskine mayne
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 12:36:40 PM »
hi, did anyone on this forum frequent erskine mayne's on donegall sq. west. I remember buying my first beatles single there in 1963. (please please me ) I used to browse in their book shop quite a lot, and their female sales staff (especially the record dept) HI kathleen, were exceptionally friendly.
Forgot all about that shop, used to get my art stuff there a long time ago. now go to bradbury graphics,
jus.

Biffo

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 05:32:38 PM »

I went there often to browse books.  There was another book store, beside a milk bar right down by the Castle Junction.  Does anyone remember it ?  Called Mullen's, I think.

wilfam

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 11:23:28 AM »
Loved Mullan's bookstore -  lovely old white wood and glass double doors at the entrance - inside books everywhere, you could have browsed in there all day. Very sad when that disappeared.
wilfam

Boydee

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:37:23 PM »
Used to work there

earl

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 01:01:08 AM »
When did you work there, Boydee?
I was a message boy there for a year when I was 15, delivering books to schools and to addresses up the Malone Road.

TS77

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 10:14:50 AM »
Loved Mullan's bookstore -  lovely old white wood and glass double doors at the entrance - inside books everywhere, you could have browsed in there all day. Very sad when that disappeared.
I agree Wilfam...was just talking about Mullans to a very old friend last week...so sad that Belfast lost something so special like that.

harrydunn

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 12:29:25 PM »
A great place to browse, where The Northern Bank, " Danske Bank" now stands, there was also another great bookshop opp the front of City hall can't remember the name.

notguilty

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 12:38:12 PM »
Hi Earl - did you ride a bicycle with a basket on the front . Do'nt see many now.

Boydee

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 06:27:31 PM »
Hi Earl I worked at WEM from approx 1957 until 1967
starting in their Queens Arcade shop and then onto the Donegall Sqr West bookshop

earl

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 04:39:17 AM »
Boydee - I'm in error. The ordering of the posts on this thread are such that I thought you had been referring to Wm Mullan & Sons, rather than their rivals, Eskine Mayne. I worked for Mullans.

Notguilty - As a message boy for Mullans, I used to travel by bus. It was a nice little moneymaker as I would be given amounts equal to the adult fare when, looking younger than my 15 years, I always asked the conductor for a "half". I could thus deliver a few books to Strathearn School, claiming eight pence each way for a journey which cost me only tuppence each way.

I know the type of bike to which you refer. I spent a summer delivering medicines, water siphons, etc. for a chemist on the Upper Newtownards Road. The bike was black (they only came in black, didn't they?) and was a beast to ride uphill (downhill was only marginally easier).

doare.

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 05:17:06 AM »
Hi Earl - did you ride a bicycle with a basket on the front . Do'nt see many now.
I used those "message boy" bikes, they had a smaller wheel in the front to accommodate the carrier, when I worked in easons they had the 3 wheelers with a box in front, man they were murder getting around the city centre filled with st directories, especially for a 14 year old. pressing back on the paddles was part of the braking system, james garveythe paint contractor had the best message boy bike I ever used, it had equal size wheels, I was the envy of all message boys :D  I dumped a few gallons of oil paint on a side st off the lisburn rd, the cars ran through it , there were beige tread marks all the way along that st for many years after :D i wnt back to the paint factory off sandy row? and I told the oul lad I needed the same order again, no questions asked, boy was I glad.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

doare.

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 05:20:08 AM »
Forgot all about that shop, used to get my art stuff there a long time ago. now go to bradbury graphics,
jus.
I used to get art stuff on queen st, on the right hand side.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

vinnym

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 07:26:06 AM »
The bookshop on the corner of Donegall Sq W and Howard Street where the Norther bank stands now was called APCK Bookshop.

Anne Marie Murray

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 03:12:52 AM »
[my sister worked upstairs in the office back in the mid 70's)]
Used to work there