Author Topic: Excise Street, Grosvenor Road.  (Read 1648079 times)

Jimmy Patterson

Re: Excise Street, Grosvenor Road.
« Reply #13665 on: July 13, 2019, 11:55:00 PM »
I know colin I realised after I put it on I had forgot the other church parades.

James James

James James

« Reply #13667 on: July 14, 2019, 05:09:03 AM »
A lot of happy memories Freda of 11th nights and 12th days. Memories come flooding back of many people who are no longer with us.i get more homesick at the 12th than I do at christmas.have a good one hope you are well.
Ironically, the 12th of July Battle of the Boyne/Cath na Bóinne, never really happened. !

Because,... it should really be,... the 1st of July parades,... because in 1752 when the British calendar was changed from the previous Roman Empire Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar,... and ironically of course, Gregory XIII was a Pope,... eleven days were added to the previous dates,.. so the 1st of July, the date on which the battle had really taken place on,... became the 12th of July.

In fact what is really being commemorated and celebrated,... isn't even the Battle of the Boyne/Cath na Bóinne,... it's really the Battle of Aughrim/Cath Eachroma,... which took place on the 12th of July 1691 under the Julian calendar,... which became 22nd of July under the Gregorian calendar.

It was the Battle of Aughrim/Cath Eachroma which had originally been the battle that was commemorated and celebrated annually, and on the original Julian calendar date of the 12th of  July.

Until the Orange Order was created in 1795, when the new Gregorian calendar was in use, and they combined the annual commemoration and celebration of both battles and used the date of the Battle of Aughrim/Cath Eachroma as the joint commemoration and celebration day.

However, in keeping with the custom of that era,... they used the original Julian calendar 12th of July date for the Battle of Aughrim/Cath Eachroma, as the date for their annual commemoration and celebration day.

Welllll, it is Ireland of course !  ::) ,... oops,... I mean Ulster,... oh no !,... I mean  Northern Ireland,... well anyway, it's a place that is somewhere to the left of the the United Kingdom,... well at least geographically if not politically.  ::) 

So,... "Remember 1690",...  should really be,... "Remember 1691". !  ::)

Oh no it isn't !,... it's really a place that is somewhere to the left geographically, of Great Britain, but so are the Republic of Ireland, North America and South America, and Canada,... oh !,... I give up. !  ??? ::)

Note,... No Belfast or Northern Ireland wall murals, or any lyrics of any traditional orange songs, have been damaged by the creation of this post,... or at least, I don't think that they have been. !  :) 

LONE RANGER

« Reply #13668 on: July 17, 2019, 01:01:58 PM »
Thanks for that james that was great. The sandy row parade was a church parade I think it was the Broadway prespreterian church parade which was always well attended and drew large crowds. I had forgotten how big the 12th parade was in those days even in the rain the crowds were huge.
  Hello Folks as I watched the 12th possession from Broadway Presbyterian Church every year It was a well attended crowed on both sides of the Broadway Road & both sides of the Falls Road I belong to the Broadway 2nd Life Boys there & went to Broadway Primary School , my  father marched every year in the parade I loved watching the parade I was so proud of him all my brothers went to Broadway Primary School & went to the 2nd Life Boys you know us all Jimmy .   

James James

« Reply #13669 on: July 17, 2019, 02:24:25 PM »
Thanks for that james that was great. The sandy row parade was a church parade I think it was the Broadway Prespeterian church parade which was always well attended and drew large crowds. I had forgotten how big the 12th parade was in those days even in the rain the crowds were huge.
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,27065.0.html

Freda Astaire

« Reply #13670 on: July 19, 2019, 03:11:30 AM »
Look who’s back.  Why it’s

https://youtu.be/p9lf76xOA5k

Dawson

« Reply #13671 on: July 23, 2019, 09:53:05 PM »
HI Peter I bought my first mobile phone when I had my motorhome When you passed Enniskillen my phone died because the West side of Ireland didn't have no transmitters up that was a waste of money for near three years I only got the phone incase something happen over the border regaqrds  Colin
I’m parked up just outside Donegal at the moment. Heading North tomorrow. On the road now 3 weeks today. All good.

LONE RANGER

« Reply #13672 on: July 24, 2019, 01:52:01 PM »
Look who’s back.  Why it’s

https://youtu.be/p9lf76xOA5k
       Why It`s Freda !  Thankyou Freda for remembering the old ex lawman of the plain`s nice to be seen in my old day`s as strong & youthful & Silver as skilful of the day`s of yorn , howdy Hi Ho Silver Away .

Freda Astaire

« Reply #13673 on: July 24, 2019, 02:57:59 PM »
Good to see you back, LR

Dawson

« Reply #13674 on: July 26, 2019, 10:16:50 AM »
That’s me home for awhile. Nearly 4 weeks away. Need to get my season ticket sorted for the new season and then I’ll head off to pastures new for another while.

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #13675 on: July 26, 2019, 01:44:09 PM »
Do you travel alone peter or have you got a lady friend who travels with you.

Freda Astaire

« Reply #13676 on: July 27, 2019, 02:39:00 AM »
Crafty auld Jimmy tiptoeing in.  Have you got a lady friend, Peter or do you travel alone?

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #13677 on: July 27, 2019, 04:20:43 AM »
Omg it's not you Freda.lol.

Freda Astaire

« Reply #13678 on: July 27, 2019, 10:26:37 AM »
We had a lovely time on the road.  So refreshing to get a break away.  Just a pity Dawson’s so young.  Just a boy really.

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #13679 on: July 27, 2019, 11:49:31 PM »
Is that a hint you would rather be on the road with me.lol.