Author Topic: Excise Street, Grosvenor Road.  (Read 1643966 times)

James James

Re: Excise Street, Grosvenor Road.
« Reply #13920 on: November 08, 2019, 06:09:17 PM »
4 minute 20 second video,...                  "A Ride On A Tramcar Through Belfast 1901"

https://tinyurl.com/y5q597s5

"Filmed on May 27th, 1901 by Sagar Mitchell & James Kenyon, this was shot from atop a horse drawn tram along Royal Avenue, turning onto High Street, and terminating at the Albert Clock in Queens Square, Belfast, Ireland."

"It was shown as part of an exhibition at the Ulster Hall in May of 1901."

misssmyth1

« Reply #13921 on: November 09, 2019, 01:14:32 PM »
  thank you JJ that was very enjoyable ...the horses worked so hard  they had to be very strong .  i remember the Milkman coming in a horse drawn cart with the big silver colour   milk /buttermilk urns. I used to get a ride on the cart   and the horse  seemed so huge to a very  little girl . our milkman's name was Geordie . a lovely man .  It wasn't too long after that the milk floats came in to practice  I always wondered what happened to Geordie and Samson the horse .

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #13922 on: November 10, 2019, 03:23:22 AM »
Smythy it was geordie nesbitt the horse used to walk and stop at the next door without being told.

James James

« Reply #13923 on: November 10, 2019, 04:06:40 AM »

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,25900.msg1199642.html#msg1199642

I didn't know Freda Woodside.  I lived in Buckingham Street and my Gran lived in Hutchinson Street.  My two uncles had a beer every Thursday in that little pub on the corner of Willow Street and Hutchinson Street (see photograph).
Who remembers Bobby the Coalbrick?  He used to bring coalbrick round once a week and his face was jet black but his teeth were pearly white against the black face. 
Do you remember Sammy  the Co-op breadman.  Every Saturday we got 6 pastry and if you were about you could pick the one you wanted.
What about Geordie Nesbitt he collected 'Any Refuse' for his pigs

James James

« Reply #13924 on: November 10, 2019, 04:09:23 AM »
HI freda do you remember gordons the shop selling coalbrick also we had two bread servers coop and was it inglis i think georgie nesbitt i helped him with the milk round at the weekends and when school closed also refuse for browns pigs and chickens kept in Lesson street georgie didnt own anything except Beauty his horse what i hated was the bath after it head to toe scrub so if your mum bought from Browns bet you there was a lovely flavour from there chickens i watched browns boiling all refuse up that the chickens could eat and the rest went to the pigs  memorys   regards colin                                                                                                                                                             

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #13925 on: November 10, 2019, 06:11:15 AM »
Shocking bush fires here in nsw.3 dead and 150 houses gone so far lots of animals dead. Koalas don't run away they climb to the top of the trees.those poor people most bush fires are either deliberate or started by someone throwing a cigarette butt away.

misssmyth1

« Reply #13926 on: November 10, 2019, 01:41:50 PM »
yes you are right Jimmy  thank you  he was a friendly person as most of the delivery people were  He probably retired  I loved his horse  he was so gentle.

James James

« Reply #13927 on: November 10, 2019, 04:19:26 PM »
Shocking bush fires here in nsw.3 dead and 150 houses gone so far lots of animals dead. Koalas don't run away they climb to the top of the trees.those poor people most bush fires are either deliberate or started by someone throwing a cigarette butt away.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/video-news/wildfires-burn-on-australias-east-coast-at-prime-minister-comforts-victims-38677597.html

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/10/nsw-and-queensland-fires-sydney-to-face-catastrophic-fire-danger-for-first-time

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #13928 on: November 10, 2019, 08:58:06 PM »
For the first time sydney has a catastrophic fire warning for tomorrow.

brisamar

« Reply #13930 on: November 11, 2019, 09:16:08 AM »
So sad to see these fires in east Australia and itís hard to believe that people are starting fires deliberately

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #13931 on: November 11, 2019, 09:43:37 AM »
Looks like tomorrow is going to be bad the local bush fire brigade are showing people what to do in the event of fire breaking out.

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #13932 on: November 11, 2019, 10:04:16 AM »
Just got advice to be out of homes by 11 am and stay out for the rest of the day. If a fire goes through we won't be able to get out.85 per cent of the fires are started by people 59 per cent are deliberate.

brisamar

« Reply #13933 on: November 11, 2019, 10:08:33 AM »
Sorry to hear that Jimmy. Hope all goes well for you and the family.

misssmyth1

« Reply #13934 on: November 11, 2019, 08:32:15 PM »
 Thinking of you and everyone concerned Jimmy... in parts of the Uk it is the opposite flooding people have to be rescued  the weather has been awful but in London we get off lightly  good luck and best wishes keep us  posted pls.