Author Topic: Excise Street, Grosvenor Road.  (Read 946523 times)

Dawson

Re: Excise Street, Grosvenor Road.
« Reply #885 on: February 03, 2012, 03:17:44 PM »
dawson, how can i get this photo printed off? i have a friend in it  darin

Darin - right click on the photo - save as (give photo a name) - then a destination (Desktop or a file). Boxer has greatly improved the original so I would save that one and save this one because it has the names. Good luck

Dawson

« Reply #886 on: February 03, 2012, 04:09:41 PM »
Hi peter still browsing  RAOB means Royal Antediluvan Order of Buffaloes that isnt on the sign i never remember any buffalo lodge sitting in any pub on the grosvenor road i apologize toany member if they did maybe 1920s plus but not when his photo was taken Sandy Row yes tell me the pub that didnt have a lodge or lodges sit in it now back to your sign raol is this something to do with an alcohol licence?                                             

Colin - the photo is obviously before our time. It looks very smart and in good condition. Don't remember any pub on the Grosvenor Road looking that good.

Dawson

« Reply #887 on: February 03, 2012, 04:13:59 PM »

Hugh Smyth is now an Alderman on the Belfast city council. Albert Boyle actually held a photo exhibition in the church hall beside the Shankill cemetery. The colour photo of Tommy Sleith, Albert Boyle and their good wives was taken up at the exhibition

Dawson

« Reply #888 on: February 03, 2012, 04:16:20 PM »
Peter whos who? would the third person from left be Jessie Maxwell from Pasia street?         
Colin - I don't know anyone in the photo. The names of the ladies from Willow Street were on a piece of paper that came with the photos.

Dawson

« Reply #889 on: February 03, 2012, 04:18:12 PM »
peter would this be the same family gorgina mc quillen from malt street her best friend lived there terrysomething?                     
Was there a girl called Terry (Teri) Hanna who lived in Malt Street a couple of doors up from the bike shop? ??? ?

Stevieshanks

« Reply #890 on: February 03, 2012, 04:36:56 PM »
Just been reading through these posts today. Really nice reading back on all the talented players who played with Clouds through the years. Apparently clouds started in 1963 - that was the flippin year I was born  ::)  I was fortunate enough to play drums with Clouds for a couple of years in the late eighties. What a great band to play in. The music we did I still love (I recently put a playlist of all the stuff we did together on my Spotify account - great feel good music and not easy to play!!). In the early - mid eighties I used to watch them every saturday in the Errigle before I even started playing drums and loved everything about them. I remember Gordy Thompson telling me all the stories about the band which started 25/26 years before I joined - I also remember him giving me two weeks notice for my first gig - no pressure!! ;) . It is a great honour to be part of that long history! I was so sad to hear that Davy had died - what a great guy and what a great voice he had! I play golf now and again with Ian Larmour who played drums (fantastically) before me and what a nice guy he is! My girl is a big 80s music fan and almost every time she mentions a song she liked back then I would say - we used to do that with Clouds lol. Totally fantastic times and what a great bunch of musicians! I play with Flash Harry these days (20 years now!) but I always look back with great memories at my time with Clouds :)

tommybeef

« Reply #891 on: February 03, 2012, 07:48:30 PM »
peter,mrs bingham is on the extreme right and mrs gordon is beside her.

colin randell

« Reply #892 on: February 03, 2012, 08:30:08 PM »
hi tommy long time no see thanks for putting the photo right the lady who was jessie maxwell is a ringer for her why i asked because jessie maxwell was gordon peoples grand mother and i though gordon or one of his family had put it in                                                                                       

Dawson

« Reply #893 on: February 03, 2012, 08:56:47 PM »
Thanks Tommy - another problem solved Colin. Where's Denis & Clarke this weather????????

colin randell

« Reply #894 on: February 03, 2012, 09:04:36 PM »
rollie billy farmer lived beside the grangers and they moved up roden street left hand side going up passed beit street a shop on the corner not jeanies from selby street the first house passed the shop were the farmers are now i dont know were they lived there is a new block there alan wilson last seen was working in gallahers it was barton street he lived was it beside the off license is jim mcgardle alans brother they lived in turin street never seen them from we left school the girl you mention would this be patsy robinson  ronnies sister? if it is peter has it in the thread that she has passed on which i was very deeply sorry to hear   i hope this can help clear a few things up for you    regards colin                                                             
Dawson I was in the 46 life boys but I cant picture the person your                          talking about I also went to the Drew memorial and Christ church. Where you lived in excise street was there was there a patty Robinson and another girl that went to oz land ,I remember Billy Farmer there was Alan Wilson who lived in Buckingham street I would be friendly with a guy Jim McCardle from insurance street robert caves and a couple of other names from burnaby st

Dawson

« Reply #895 on: February 03, 2012, 09:04:49 PM »
Just been reading through these posts today. Really nice reading back on all the talented players who played with Clouds through the years. Apparently clouds started in 1963 - that was the flippin year I was born  ::)  I was fortunate enough to play drums with Clouds for a couple of years in the late eighties. What a great band to play in. The music we did I still love (I recently put a playlist of all the stuff we did together on my Spotify account - great feel good music and not easy to play!!). In the early - mid eighties I used to watch them every saturday in the Errigle before I even started playing drums and loved everything about them. I remember Gordy Thompson telling me all the stories about the band which started 25/26 years before I joined - I also remember him giving me two weeks notice for my first gig - no pressure!! ;) . It is a great honour to be part of that long history! I was so sad to hear that Davy had died - what a great guy and what a great voice he had! I play golf now and again with Ian Larmour who played drums (fantastically) before me and what a nice guy he is! My girl is a big 80s music fan and almost every time she mentions a song she liked back then I would say - we used to do that with Clouds lol. Totally fantastic times and what a great bunch of musicians! I play with Flash Harry these days (20 years now!) but I always look back with great memories at my time with Clouds :)
Welcome stevieshanks - when you played in the Errigle Inn do you remember a group from the 80s who used to cover a lot of Foreigner numbers? The singer and guitarist was called David Hughes (Bootsie at Kelvin school) and he always wore a woollen hat (same sort of hat that Mike Nesmith from the Monkees wore) to hide his lack of hair. Last I heard Bootsie was working as a telephone engineer for BT and lives in the Belmont area of east Belfast. Glad to hear you are still playing (We Are The Champions)

Dawson

« Reply #896 on: February 03, 2012, 09:33:27 PM »
rollie billy farmer lived beside the grangers and they moved up roden street left hand side going up passed beit street a shop on the corner not jeanies from selby street the first house passed the shop were the farmers are now i dont know were they lived there is a new block there alan wilson last seen was working in gallahers it was barton street he lived was it beside the off license is jim mcgardle alans brother they lived in turin street never seen them from we left school the girl you mention would this be patsy robinson  ronnies sister? if it is peter has it in the thread that she has passed on which i was very deeply sorry to hear   i hope this can help clear a few things up for you    regards colin                                                             
Colin - Unfortunately Patsy is no longer with us. I know Patsy's husband very well and I was at her funeral. She was only 59 years old and had been badly affected by passive smoking. The shop in Roden Street you are talking about was the one at the corner of Roosevelt Street and behind it there was a tall building (used to be Roosevelt Street Boys Club) and I remember it because thats where boys with special needs went. As you went up Roden Street there was a fruit shop at the corner of Beit Street which was to become Dans Bar. Beit Street went from Roosevelt Street (parallel with the railway line) and came out at the top end of Roden Street. Haven't seen Jim or Alan McArdle from Turin Street for many a year but I think they might be living in North Belfast somewhere.
Just remembered something. I was having a drink with Patsy and her husband Jimmy in a club in east Belfast when Susan Beattie (Selby Street) came in looking for her husband. I think that Susan is married to someone called Algie (could be wrong again). I wonder what happened to Tom and Sammy Beattie? Also remember her sister Brenda and brother Billy???

Dawson

« Reply #897 on: February 04, 2012, 11:18:39 AM »

Dawson

« Reply #898 on: February 04, 2012, 11:24:56 AM »

Dawson

« Reply #899 on: February 04, 2012, 11:27:55 AM »