Author Topic: Excise Street, Grosvenor Road.  (Read 737636 times)

Freda Astaire

Re: Excise Street, Grosvenor Road.
« Reply #11640 on: May 19, 2017, 02:02:34 PM »
Colin.  Did Joan Magee have a brother, Jim who died?  Jennifer Adgey mentioned this but it was the first time I had heard of it.  Was he older or younger than Joan?  What age was he when he died and what happened to him? 

Freda Astaire

« Reply #11641 on: May 19, 2017, 02:26:58 PM »
Joan Magee was one of the big girls and didn't often come out to play.  I thought it was great when her and Ann Beattie came out and played with us.  There's a photograph on the Grosvenor Rd. Sandy Row Facebook of Joan at Queen Victoria.  I didn't know that both Joan and Ann Beattie went there.  I think they were both at Kelvin when I knew them.  I couldn't remember Joan's face and it was lovely to see the photo of her.

Freda Astaire

« Reply #11642 on: May 19, 2017, 02:32:08 PM »
Dawson.  Would you lay a cross for James Norwood.  David Gourley will show you where.  Just say NEVER FORGOTTEN.   JANIS

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #11643 on: May 19, 2017, 03:18:51 PM »
https://tinyurl.com/lmljjyo

Right click on a picture to download and save it.

I would love someone to put names to these pics for me. I know Jimmy, Barbara, Ella, Pauline ans Ellen but I don't know or recall who the fellas are. It would be great to know, c'mon Janis and fill in the names from l-r in the photos if you know.

James James

« Reply #11644 on: May 19, 2017, 03:27:27 PM »
Good idea Lilian, provided that the people in the pictures didn't object to that being done publicly, although it could be done privately instead, via private message or email.

I was thinking of numbering each person for that purpose in case anyone wanted to do what you've suggested, but that would have taken a lot of time, and as I said, there is also a potential privacy issue, so I just numbered each picture post for that purpose. Perhaps though if anyone wants the individuals to be numbered Boxer might want to do that.

BTW Lilian et al If you right click on any of the pictures, and then you left or right click on...
Open image in new tab ... the picture will open full screen size in a new and separate tab/page, and if you right click on the picture you will be able to download and save it if you want to.

James James

« Reply #11645 on: May 19, 2017, 03:28:18 PM »
Dawson.  Would you lay a cross for James Norwood.  David Gourley will show you where.  Just say NEVER FORGOTTEN.   JANIS
Freda, is that this man. ? If it is, he doesn't have a grave, but he is commemorated on a memorial.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1643050/NORWOOD,%20JAMES

http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/88800/PLOEGSTEERT%20MEMORIAL

http://www.cwgc.org/dbImage.ashx?id=21513

If that is him, he is also listed here, and if you want to, you can register with that site for free and add your own message if you want to.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=12705093

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/find-a-grave-prod/photos/2013/41/12705093_136060031177.jpg

This is the registering page for that site.
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=nm&   

Dawson

« Reply #11646 on: May 19, 2017, 05:25:01 PM »
Freda (Janis) if I have the relevant details and I'm in that vicinity I will gladly do so.

Freda Astaire

« Reply #11647 on: May 19, 2017, 06:33:17 PM »
Yes James.  That's him.

Dawson. David Gourley will tell you all you need to know and where to leave the cross.  I knew all his brothers and sisters.  They were never able to pay any tribute to him and they would be pleased that over a hundred years later personal tribute is being paid to him.  They never forgot him.  He is remembered.

colin randell

« Reply #11648 on: May 19, 2017, 09:08:44 PM »
Colin.  Did Joan Magee have a brother, Jim who died?  Jennifer Adgey mentioned this but it was the first time I had heard of it.  Was he older or younger than Joan?  What age was he when he died and what happened to him?
Freda Love I can't answer that one I think Joan had a brother but he never played with anybody in the street  Have asked Denis to ask the Queen Bee she knows everything an other Suzie (lol)  Denis didn't know Joan had a brother so he has to phone big sister to find that one out           regards Colin

colin randell

« Reply #11649 on: May 19, 2017, 09:34:16 PM »
Joan Magee was one of the big girls and didn't often come out to play.  I thought it was great when her and Ann Beattie came out and played with us.  There's a photograph on the Grosvenor Rd. Sandy Row Facebook of Joan at Queen Victoria.  I didn't know that both Joan and Ann Beattie went there.  I think they were both at Kelvin when I knew them.  I couldn't remember Joan's face and it was lovely to see the photo of her.
Freda Love what your saying is true I don't think she or they were allowed out when the girls called for her she never came out and if they didn't knock the door she came out so they stopped calling for her.  If you go to page 73 there is a photo of Joan there refresh your memory she never changed but then I  was about 16 or about when that photo was taken she could have aged (lol)      Maybe L/R knows not sure                 regards  Colin   

colin randell

« Reply #11650 on: May 20, 2017, 09:15:27 AM »
HI Freda Love Ann Beattie went to Queen Victoria    Joan didn't she went to Tintop   our Meaureen and Ann went to Queen Victoria them two were mates from no age till Ann pasted away always kept in touch with each other I  never remember them two arguing.                   regards  Colin

colin randell

« Reply #11651 on: May 20, 2017, 11:03:16 AM »
Finally got money back from DVLA tax office please remember before you sell or buy a car road tax stops on the car when you sell it even months tax on it and the same if you buy one which has tax on it   THE TAX is Not in your Name so the police can do you for it they keep changing the law  They charged me 42-92p my tax was up 14/4/2017 I sold it 6/4/2017 and they charged me because of the work they had to do they took my money on the 3/4/2017 and returned 17/5/2017 3days to get here                   so just watch yourselfs              I'm not finished yet I like the challenge              regards  Colin

Freda Astaire

« Reply #11652 on: May 20, 2017, 01:39:38 PM »
How long is Ann Beattie dead and what did she die of?  Had she any children, Colin?
And the same questions for Joan Magee.  They can't have been that old.

Freda Astaire

« Reply #11653 on: May 20, 2017, 07:44:46 PM »
Lilian.  I'm not the person to help you.  I would say Dawson would know most people.
I can name:-
Jimmy
Dawson
Colin and Denis Randell
Val and Charlie Kilrow
Albert Boyle
And that's it.  I could point out the Lone Ranger but it's his secret, not mine to pass on.
If you want me to tell you who any of those people are I can. I don't really know who are Pauline Murray and Barbara Irvine are as I don't recognise their faces. 

colin randell

« Reply #11654 on: May 20, 2017, 08:24:41 PM »
How long is Ann Beattie dead and what did she die of?  Had she any children, Colin?
And the same questions for Joan Magee.  They can't have been that old.
[/quotn[/size]e]Freda Love Ann Beattie married name (Hunter) lived in Newtownabbey  that's me finished up to Denis to phone his sister    none of them knew or heard about  Joan they want me to tell them and I can't                       regards Colin