Author Topic: Excise Street, Grosvenor Road.  (Read 1541411 times)

colin randell

Re: Excise Street, Grosvenor Road.
« Reply #12690 on: March 06, 2018, 10:24:01 PM »
Who remembers Grattan`s chip shop in the Village Broadway ok fine now how many remembers their other business up the Lisburn Road around the Marlborough area , they bought and sold and repaired the three wheeler blue only invalid vehicle with no steering wheel only a butterfly handle bar I supplied the Castrol Engine Oil to them many moons ago they were all around Belfast and other towns through out N. Ireland .
HI L/R Now was that building on the front of the road facing Marlborough park which became the COOP or was it down the steps beside that building   If I remember right your 3wheel cars were motor bikes for the disabled and there was an other part up facing the Kings Hall beside the toilet no seats standing only now that wasn't yesterday   I had a friend who lived in the street behind the COOP can't remember his second name his dad always walked the dog it was an alsatian dog  as we know them as German shepherd dog  lovely animal there was only about 8 or 9 houses in that block but the yard facing it they stored the three wheeler's  there then the council took that over for there handcarts   Billy McCoy if I remember right joined the army and went up the ranks very quickly                          regards   Colin

colin randell

« Reply #12691 on: March 06, 2018, 10:27:35 PM »
Unfortunately Billy Graham is no longer with us. I do remember the posters and the talk in our district that Billy Graham was coming to Windsor. Anyone in the group ever go to see him???
Yes Peter I was at Windsor park and the place he took over on the shore road not to far away from the Grove baths           regards  Colin

Dawson

« Reply #12692 on: March 09, 2018, 08:36:14 PM »
Colin, was it not Leslie Hale who had the church on York Road???

boxer1949

« Reply #12693 on: March 09, 2018, 09:02:19 PM »

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #12694 on: March 10, 2018, 11:23:56 AM »
What are yipou doing boxer me ,Denis Randell, john bell, sammy moore peter dawson, billy Bingham, brian and william dawson, edward Allison.

colin randell

« Reply #12695 on: March 10, 2018, 07:09:19 PM »
Colin, was it not Leslie Hale who had the church on York Road???
HI Peter sorry it was after I had posted it I remembered Leslie Hale took that shop over                        regards  Colin

colin randell

« Reply #12696 on: March 10, 2018, 07:11:35 PM »

Hi Peter you and the twins are looking well who else have you spotted?     Sorry again you got them all right         regards Colin 

colin randell

« Reply #12697 on: March 10, 2018, 07:54:48 PM »
Question my wife and I decided to try our grandson with piano lessons he was doing ever so well played in the church and in the school then all of a sudden he stopped playing did not want to know anymore , we paid for all his lessons and I even took him to piano exams to a piano centre in a church in Donegall Pass we felt so let down we coaxed him high and low to return to the piano but it was never going to happen , he just said he had loosed interest after we bought him a piano for his home it just lay there gathering dust he was only interested in football and a good player he is Ards took him to their club at 14 and he still plays for their academy , over the years we tried everything to get him to go back to the piano and even asked him what would it take for him to return to it he said nothing he has the talent no question what a waste , then out of the blue he rang us and said he needed a pair of football boots the very latest of course at 175.00 and if he got them he would return to the piano we got them under one condition that he remains with the piano no excuses he promised he would , the next day I called for to take him to school and Coming from the house was the sound of the piano well I was well pleased he played for me with a great big smile and said I wasn't trying to hold you to ransom granddad I just lost my way a little I said great my son I love you so much , was I wrong in the way I handled it was I really being blackmailed I like to think not I couldn't let such great talent go down the drain .
HI L/R It would surprise you how many from Northern Ireland plays in the London philharmonic orchestra so you never know your luck   If I can get you a name who looks after that orchestra will do so I worked with his dad in are machine shop  Will see at are next get together   regards  Colin

Dawson

« Reply #12698 on: March 13, 2018, 07:21:46 PM »
Colin, I can see Jimmy

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #12699 on: March 13, 2018, 09:29:17 PM »
Peter at the back,john bell,billy Bingham,me denis Randell, sammy moore .(selby st). You.front the twins and edward alison.our house is just on the left of the photo.

Dawson

« Reply #12700 on: March 14, 2018, 12:08:32 PM »
Jimmy, I could recognise you, John Bell, Denis, twins and me (scarey). Knew it was also outside your house. I must be getting old.

LONE RANGER

« Reply #12701 on: March 15, 2018, 11:06:51 AM »
HI L/R Now was that building on the front of the road facing Marlborough park which became the COOP or was it down the steps beside that building   If I remember right your 3wheel cars were motor bikes for the disabled and there was an other part up facing the Kings Hall beside the toilet no seats standing only now that wasn't yesterday   I had a friend who lived in the street behind the COOP can't remember his second name his dad always walked the dog it was an alsatian dog  as we know them as German shepherd dog  lovely animal there was only about 8 or 9 houses in that block but the yard facing it they stored the three wheeler's  there then the council took that over for there handcarts   Billy McCoy if I remember right joined the army and went up the ranks very quickly                          regards   Colin
            The building was down the street on the right hand side coming down from the Lisburn Road can`t remember the Street name no steps were involved , never delivered oil to the King`s Hall Branch infect don`t recall it at all who is Billy McCoy the Street were the repair shop was had large blue doors quite distinctive .  Kind Regard`s  L/R .   

LONE RANGER

« Reply #12702 on: March 15, 2018, 11:12:50 AM »
HI L/R It would surprise you how many from Northern Ireland plays in the London philharmonic orchestra so you never know your luck   If I can get you a name who looks after that orchestra will do so I worked with his dad in are machine shop  Will see at are next get together   regards  Colin
            Kind and thoughtful as usual Colin .

Dawson

« Reply #12703 on: March 17, 2018, 10:53:59 AM »
Need to win today. That's Ireland and Linfield. If you're celebrating today, take care and have a good one.

Freda Astaire

« Reply #12704 on: March 20, 2018, 02:18:18 AM »
This is so funny.  I’m crying I’ve been laughing so much.  It’s from Jill Stevens from Grosvenor Road, Sandy Row Facebook site.  Sorry Val.  But it’s so funny.  I hope it comes across   

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN GUILTY OF LOOKING AT OTHERS
YOUR OWN AGE AND THINKING, SURELY I CAN'T LOOK THAT OLD?
WELL. .YOU'LL LOVE THIS ONE!

MY NAME IS ALICE SMITH AND I WAS SITTING IN THE
WAITING ROOM FOR MY FIRST APPOINTMENT WITH A
NEW DENTIST. I NOTICED HIS DENTAL DIPLOMA,
WHICH BORE HIS FULL NAME.

SUDDENLY, I REMEMBERED A TALL, HANDSOME, DARK
HAIRED BOY WITH THE SAME NAME HAD BEEN IN MY
SECONDARY SCHOOL CLASS SOME 30-ODD YEARS AGO.

COULD HE BE THE SAME GUY THAT I HAD A SECRET
CRUSH ON, WAY BACK THEN?

UPON SEEING HIM, HOWEVER, I QUICKLY DISCARDED
ANY SUCH THOUGHT.

THIS BALDING, GREY HAIRED MAN WITH THE DEEPLY
LINED FACE WAS FAR TOO OLD TO HAVE BEEN MY
CLASSMATE. AFTER HE EXAMINED MY TEETH, I ASKED
HIM IF HE HAD ATTENDED MORGAN PARK SECONDARY SCHOOL .

'YES, YES I DID. I'M A MORGANNER! 'HE BEAMED WITH PRIDE.

'WHEN DID YOU LEAVE TO GO TO COLLEGE?' I ASKED

HE ANSWERED, IN 1989 WHY DO YOU ASK?

'YOU WERE IN MY CLASS!' I EXCLAIMED.

HE LOOKED AT ME CLOSELY.

THEN THE UGLY,

OLD,

BALD,

WRINKLED,

FAT ARSED,

GREY HAIRED,

DECREPIT,

BAS**RD  ASKED..