Author Topic: Excise Street, Grosvenor Road.  (Read 2070619 times)

brickie

Re: Excise Street, Grosvenor Road.
« Reply #13200 on: December 04, 2018, 07:55:31 AM »
New Grosvenor Road bears no resemblance to the old Grosvenor Road boxer. That’s progress I suppose.
haven't heard from L,R lately, I hope he's well.

Dawson

« Reply #13201 on: December 04, 2018, 08:25:45 PM »
haven't heard from L,R lately, I hope he's well.
He’s alive and well.

colin randell

« Reply #13202 on: December 05, 2018, 06:28:45 PM »
Wee McDonnell St run from Lesson St to the Grosvenor Rd the shop you see in the photo was Sloanes they had another shop at the other corner sold kids clothes at the other end of the just see Fuscos chippy
HI Boxer sorry I didn't doubt you just couldn't get my head around it till you pointed out Fusco's I run around with the Nelsons from the right hand side from Grosvenor road      was told Gerald Nelson had passed away years ago his brother went with a girl out of Kitchener street donegal road and his mate Billy ? from Gibson street moved to Broadway and still lives there                 regards  Colin

colin randell

« Reply #13203 on: December 05, 2018, 08:56:43 PM »
HI Boxer  would Billy Curran ring any bells with you he was the one from Gibson street very near the church no more than 6 doors away?   and Gerald Nelson if I remember right his brother was called Tommy ( not sure on this one )  The other one I knocked around  with was O HAGAN  from Lesson street   and Peter Molloy         regards  Colin 

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #13204 on: December 06, 2018, 02:35:22 PM »
Hello to ya all.Just to wish you all who know me & those who don't a great Christmas & a happy & healthy new year, I am still alive and progressing forward but it is a very slow job.

Dawson

« Reply #13205 on: December 06, 2018, 07:54:26 PM »
Lilian, good to hear from you again. Lots of health and happiness for next year.

Freda Astaire

« Reply #13206 on: December 06, 2018, 11:55:08 PM »
Yo Ho.  Lilian.  Good to hear from you.  Why are you sending us CHRISTmas and new year greetings now?  Surely you’ll be on before CHRISTmas.  It’s about three weeks away.  You always come on at CHRISTmas time.  No excuses now.  IOU a pm and I will write it. I don’t often have much news thank goodness but I have some tonight. 

In mid November my car was fully serviced and passed the MOT.  On Monday I came home and reversed the car into the garage. As I got out the engine fan was on.  I looked back at the car and saw a puff of smoke coming from under my bonnet.  I thought I don’t like that so I went up the back to a man in his forties who usually tells me what the problem is.  He doesn’t fix it but he tells me what’s wrong.  He said I CANT HELP YOU TONIGHT.  I GETTING CHEMOTHERAPY.  He had just found out last month he needed it.  Aw.  I felt so sorry.  I came back to my house and thick grey smoke was pouring out of the garage.  I went into the house and put the leads on my dogs and brought them into the living room in case we needed to get out quickly.  The window wrapped and someone shouted FREDA (you don’t call me Freda} GET THE DOGS AND GET OUT.  I went out the front door by myself to see if it was any worse.  I fully intended to get the hose and put the fire out myself but someone had rung the fire brigade and they had just arrived.  I was glad when I saw the thick dense dark grey smoke.  The men were excellent.  They brought the car out.  I said IS MY GARAGE DAMAGED.  They said they didn’t know until the smoke cleared.  They sucked the smoke out with equipment.  When it was over they said IF WE HAD ARRIVED ONE MINUTE LATER YOUR ROOF WOULD HAVE GONE ON FIRE.  THERE ARE THREE OIL TANKS SURROUNDING YOUR GARAGE WHICH WOULD HAVE GONE ON FIRE AND THEN YOUR HOUSE.  YOU WERE VERY BLESSED.  They said LUCKY.  I say BLESSED.  There was no warning.  No unusual noises, no lights came on.
I want you all to know how quickly this all happened.  A man once showed me a shop where a woman left her two children strapped in the car while she went in for milk.  When she came out the car was on fire.  One child was killed and the other child was scarred for life. 
BELIEVE ME IT HAPPENS FAST.  NEVER LEAVE A CHILD IN THE CAR ALONE FOR ONE SECOND.  When the electrics go the doors can jam.  My boot is locked shut and can’t be opened.  It’s only a tin can on wheels.  No one was hurt.  No structural damage done.  GOD blessed and protected me. My neighbours brought me 3 litres of milk, a bag of potatoes, a box of chocolates and a tin of biscuits.  People think when your engine goes on fire it gives you an appetite. 

Freda Astaire

« Reply #13207 on: December 07, 2018, 12:00:06 AM »
I doubt if this will work but I’ll send them to JJ and he’ll maybe help me.  Where are you anyway James?  Okay here goes. 

Can you fix it James.  I’ll try to send photos to you to put on for me.  That may not work either. 

Freda Astaire

« Reply #13208 on: December 07, 2018, 12:08:54 AM »
boxer.  I sent some photos to you as well.  James hasn’t been on for a while.  Could either of you put photos on for me? 

RebeccaK

« Reply #13209 on: December 07, 2018, 02:31:54 PM »
Yo Ho.  Lilian.  Good to hear from you.  Why are you sending us CHRISTmas and new year greetings now?  Surely you’ll be on before CHRISTmas.  It’s about three weeks away.  You always come on at CHRISTmas time.  No excuses now.  IOU a pm and I will write it. I don’t often have much news thank goodness but I have some tonight. 

In mid November my car was fully serviced and passed the MOT.  On Monday I came home and reversed the car into the garage. As I got out the engine fan was on.  I looked back at the car and saw a puff of smoke coming from under my bonnet.  I thought I don’t like that so I went up the back to a man in his forties who usually tells me what the problem is.  He doesn’t fix it but he tells me what’s wrong.  He said I CANT HELP YOU TONIGHT.  I GETTING CHEMOTHERAPY.  He had just found out last month he needed it.  Aw.  I felt so sorry.  I came back to my house and thick grey smoke was pouring out of the garage.  I went into the house and put the leads on my dogs and brought them into the living room in case we needed to get out quickly.  The window wrapped and someone shouted FREDA (you don’t call me Freda} GET THE DOGS AND GET OUT.  I went out the front door by myself to see if it was any worse.  I fully intended to get the hose and put the fire out myself but someone had rung the fire brigade and they had just arrived.  I was glad when I saw the thick dense dark grey smoke.  The men were excellent.  They brought the car out.  I said IS MY GARAGE DAMAGED.  They said they didn’t know until the smoke cleared.  They sucked the smoke out with equipment.  When it was over they said IF WE HAD ARRIVED ONE MINUTE LATER YOUR ROOF WOULD HAVE GONE ON FIRE.  THERE ARE THREE OIL TANKS SURROUNDING YOUR GARAGE WHICH WOULD HAVE GONE ON FIRE AND THEN YOUR HOUSE.  YOU WERE VERY BLESSED.  They said LUCKY.  I say BLESSED.  There was no warning.  No unusual noises, no lights came on.
I want you all to know how quickly this all happened.  A man once showed me a shop where a woman left her two children strapped in the car while she went in for milk.  When she came out the car was on fire.  One child was killed and the other child was scarred for life. 
BELIEVE ME IT HAPPENS FAST.  NEVER LEAVE A CHILD IN THE CAR ALONE FOR ONE SECOND.  When the electrics go the doors can jam.  My boot is locked shut and can’t be opened.  It’s only a tin can on wheels.  No one was hurt.  No structural damage done.  GOD blessed and protected me. My neighbours brought me 3 litres of milk, a bag of potatoes, a box of chocolates and a tin of biscuits.  People think when your engine goes on fire it gives you an appetite.

Oh my goodness Freda, that's awful, I'm glad you're okay! That must have been quite the shock!

Freda Astaire

« Reply #13210 on: December 07, 2018, 02:51:16 PM »
No one hurt Rebecca and no structural damage done.  I wish I could show you photos of the car.  GOD was good to me that day.

boxer1949

« Reply #13211 on: December 07, 2018, 08:37:45 PM »
HI Boxer  would Billy Curran ring any bells with you he was the one from Gibson street very near the church no more than 6 doors away?   and Gerald Nelson if I remember right his brother was called Tommy ( not sure on this one )  The other one I knocked around  with was O HAGAN  from Lesson street   and Peter Molloy         regards  Colin
Colin Tommy Nelson RIP died about over 20 years ago with blue jumper on i think thats his brother beside him Tony O Hagan used to work with him at the roofing many moons ago

Dawson

« Reply #13212 on: December 07, 2018, 09:29:51 PM »

Lucky lady indeed. Do the lottery.

Freda Astaire

« Reply #13213 on: December 08, 2018, 06:35:17 PM »
JJs very quiet these days.   

Rebecca.  Did you make contact with him further back?  He hasn’t been on since early November.  I’ll put a call out for him
JJ.    JJ.               JAMES          :clapping:  JAMES :clapping:   I’ll get on the jungle drums

James.  Can you put my photographs on?

RebeccaK

« Reply #13214 on: December 08, 2018, 07:18:36 PM »
JJs very quiet these days.   

Rebecca.  Did you make contact with him further back?  He hasn’t been on since early November.  I’ll put a call out for him
JJ.    JJ.               JAMES          :clapping:  JAMES :clapping:   I’ll get on the jungle drums

James.  Can you put my photographs on?

I’ve tried, but he has been having connection issues. If anyone could give him a call and check if he’s okay that would be much appreciated!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy