Author Topic: Excise Street, Grosvenor Road.  (Read 1713800 times)

Jimmy Patterson

Re: Excise Street, Grosvenor Road.
« Reply #14325 on: November 03, 2020, 09:59:44 AM »
Shocker melbourne cup day today peter loser big time but had a great day with my mates. Got complemented twice about my accent. Peter I love my accent no matter how long since you leave if you lose your accent you lose a part of who's you are .

brisamar

« Reply #14326 on: November 03, 2020, 12:02:15 PM »
Sorry to hear you lost a few dollars but Iím sure you had a good swallow. Nice to hear that someone likes the Ulster accent.

colin randell

« Reply #14327 on: November 10, 2020, 12:15:12 AM »
The column has been read 1700044 times and Dawson received the
Nobel prize in Literature.  The biggest shock of all was he took us out for dinner to celebrate.  Sorry the rest of you couldnít make it?
  HI Freda LOVE I didn't get an invite why not?     I hope your keeping well   I do keep looking in but nothing happening  I did hear about the Lone Ranger very sorry about him  I will have to get my laptop back it's still in PC World from before Christmas it was hacked into and emptied one off my bank accounts and my bank said I took it out myself my money is in South Africa so still fighting my bank on that one     Oh when I left my laptop in to get cleaned out the person who was working on it was going to Australia for Christmas with eveything going on he on lock down PC World wanted to reset my laptop and charge me again I said no I would wait and still waiting   Will be in touch with you later if you don't mind                                                             Goodnight Freda Love

brisamar

« Reply #14328 on: November 10, 2020, 11:32:03 AM »
Sorry to read about your troubles Denis. Hopefully youíll get everything sorted soon. Itís a lesson for us all thatís there's conmen everywhere. Be careful everyone

colin randell

« Reply #14329 on: November 11, 2020, 07:18:26 PM »
Sorry to read about your troubles Denis. Hopefully youíll get everything sorted soon. Itís a lesson for us all thatís there's conmen everywhere. Be careful everyone
HI brisamar  I'm not Denis his wee brother that's me      The reason why i'm here somebody is filling heads full of bunkum on face book Denis keeps coming on to me asking me questions looking if it's right or wrong  The last one he give me was about two Italian ice cream parlours on the bottom off the Grosvenor road the answer is Baldini and Marcari now was that area the Grosvenor or was it Collage square south  The Grosvenor started at Mosie Hunters and Scallys facing it my Dows in my time    The lower half the door numbers dropped from Durham street    The bottom half came the Grosvenor road about 1907 I think

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #14330 on: November 11, 2020, 08:35:07 PM »
Colin good to see you back on but you have confused me ( but then that's not hard to do)it's a wonder Freda hasn't come on like a shot after one of her favourite boys posted.

colin randell

« Reply #14331 on: November 11, 2020, 08:48:36 PM »
Sorry I forgot there was more ice cream saloons on the Grosvenor road  F Leighio was on the Grosvenor he had two shops there not at the same time just moved up the road abit  he moved in to 185 then J Morelli moved in after him     I have been trying to get in touch with John Leighio to see if it's the same person but still no answer Oh John's dad is Benny and the F is Benny's dad   They moved into Roden street about 1943 or about that The time with him missing he could have been in Newtownards that's where the family from but not sure yet

colin randell

« Reply #14332 on: November 11, 2020, 08:53:58 PM »
Colin good to see you back on but you have confused me ( but then that's not hard to do)it's a wonder Freda hasn't come on like a shot after one of her favourite boys posted.
HI Jimmy i'm playing with my phone sooner I get my laptop back the better  a lot better than this  Hope it isn't the bottom half of the Grosvenor I have a jotter in this house somewhere with info I had put in it  Keeping alright I hope Jimmy

brisamar

« Reply #14333 on: November 12, 2020, 10:28:43 AM »
HI brisamar  I'm not Denis his wee brother that's me      The reason why i'm here somebody is filling heads full of bunkum on face book Denis keeps coming on to me asking me questions looking if it's right or wrong  The last one he give me was about two Italian ice cream parlours on the bottom off the Grosvenor road the answer is Baldini and Marcari now was that area the Grosvenor or was it Collage square south  The Grosvenor started at Mosie Hunters and Scallys facing it my Dows in my time    The lower half the door numbers dropped from Durham street    The bottom half came the Grosvenor road about 1907 I think

Sorry Colin. I posted the info about the ice cream parlours on the Grosvenor Road. At that time the Grosvenor Road started at the Granville Hotel (Now Juryís and before that the Ritz/ABC). Youíre right about the Grosvenor starting at Durham Street but the info about the ice cream parlours relates to the Grosvenor Road as we knew it.

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #14334 on: November 22, 2020, 06:20:09 PM »
I havent been on here for ages and was just reading about the ice cream parlours.  what about Tony Fuscos on the next corner of Devonshire Street, the opposite corner of Rogers Stores ( a great shop) my daddy used to give us a ten bob note to go to the sweet shop (next door up) from Tony's with mum's big baking bowl to get loads of Tony's ice cream with wafers and lime and raspberry syrup some bottles of cream soda, before that the sweetie shop for Butter Brazils,chocolate limes,butter mints,toasted torpedoes and god knows what else, but loads were bought for ten bob, oh coconut mushrooms too.That was on Saturday night  Then Sheila McConnell would come round and the TV would go on and we would indulge in all that sugar, its a miracle I still have all my teeth.My daddy had a sweet tooth, we all have but I usually only have some choccy at the weekend.Oh he loved wee buns too. My arteries are probably blocked as i had a stroke at the same age as my dad, he had a few really bad ones until they gradually killed him at 67, but he was a brilliant daddy to his two wee girls and Sheila was like a sister, she is about the same age as Margaret so they were more mates. I have had a lovely childhood but mum would take no backchat daddy wasn't strict at all, up until this bl**dy stroke my life was lovely although divorce wasn't fun or my hubby being at deaths door a few times, he is a good kind man to me.

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #14335 on: November 22, 2020, 06:28:28 PM »
Sorry to hear you lost a few dollars but Iím sure you had a good swallow. Nice to hear that someone likes the Ulster accent.
Do you know (probably not but I will tell you anyway) I just cannot talk with a Belfast accent, I first got fed up with people taking me off, or trying to! Or they couldn't understand me but I have been away about 56 years so it comes back a wee bit when I hear it. I still use some of the slang though and my man knows what I am on about!!

brisamar

« Reply #14336 on: November 22, 2020, 07:16:59 PM »
Nice to hear from you Lilian and read about your sweet tooth and happy memories. The post about ice cream parlours only related to the stretch of road between Durham Street and Fisherwick Place. There was none there in my time but they were there at the start of the 20th century. The NI accent appears to heard more on tv and radio nowadays. My memories of our accent is Z Cars. James Ellis must have been the first and I cringed because it seemed so out of place but people have told me they like to listen to it. As youíre living in Lincolnshire do you call your husband ďduck?Ē

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #14337 on: November 23, 2020, 01:25:29 AM »
They love my accent over here peter and I love it I would never try to lose ie

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #14338 on: November 23, 2020, 01:25:55 AM »
That should be lose it.

brisamar

« Reply #14339 on: November 23, 2020, 08:28:35 AM »
Some people do like it and others donít Jimmy. I personally like all accents. Iím glad we all donít sound the same. Variety is the spice of life.