Author Topic: The Slush or Slosh dance  (Read 20563 times)

denmagic

The Slush or Slosh dance
« on: March 09, 2007, 11:36:58 AM »
I am doing a bit of research for the dance known as 'The Slush'.  A dance very similar to today's line dancing.  It is mainly known and done by the older generation.

Can anyone out there tell me anything about it.  Is it just a Belfast dance?  What songs can you do it to? etc.

I do know one of the songs that was popular for this dance was 'rivers of babylon - Boney M'

My mum tells me it was popular many years ago and after extensive googling on the net I am no better informed.

(_8())
..It's a Kind of Magic!

Bogeyman

Re: The Slush
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 02:01:27 PM »
This may have been a slow dance for those that liked to wear hush puppies?
If it was'nt for venetian blinds it would be curtains for everybody!

Christopher

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 02:20:35 PM »
Hiya Den,

I came across Roger Waters website with Slush Lyrics .. Browse our entire collection of SLUSH SONG LYRICS for free! I regret it also contains the following message ... We're sorry but the artist has decided not to disclose the lyrics for this song.

I'll go back to the drawing board and see what I can find for you. I think it was a popular dance in the sixties but it may have been a decade later.

Chris

giannineo

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 07:36:04 PM »
Dundonians dance the "Slosh" at functions.It is the same as the "Slush".I had never heard of it until I went o a wedding'do' in Dundee.

denmagic

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 07:48:25 PM »
 Giannineo - you're a star.

I think it is spelt -  Slosh.  D'oh! - I feel so [censored] stupid now. 

That's why I could find no info.  Good news is that I have found some info while searching for slosh.   ;D

It is described on a dancing site as a from of line dancing - just as I thought.

(_8())
..It's a Kind of Magic!

Bogeyman

Re: The Slush or Slosh dance
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 08:08:18 PM »
Would that have anything to do with the phrase "getting sloshed"?

giannineo

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 09:15:52 PM »
Den, it is a real fave in Dundee as is line dancing. Someone told me that Line Dancing originated in mining and railroad or lumberjack camps in North America.The guys were supposed to be too embarrassed to dance with each other in the absence of women and stood in a line to dance with themselves....cannot confirm that story .
        The old Dundee East of Scotland CO-OP was known as the SOSH. .and at the wedding 'do'; I was at there were a few ex Sosh employees dancing the Slosh.I wasn't long in this area at the time and wondered what on earth I had arrived amongst....still do.I work mostly in Dundee but live elsewhere.

Christopher

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 09:26:56 PM »
I'm certain there was a dance called The Slush in Belfast .. it followed on from the Hucklebuck (recorded by the Royal Showband in 1965 and a minor hit for Chubby Checker in 1960) and La Yenka (recorded by Dean and the Freshmen in 1965).

denmagic

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 09:32:54 PM »
I work some nights as a mobile DJ and when I mention the 'slosh' over the mic and play a few tracks I get the floor filled with older women who dance sidewards - just like line dancing.  It is fascinating to watch them get on like this.

As a 32 year old, some of the older audiences are surprised I know what this dance is and what tunes to play.

I only know a few track to play and I have became interested in where this dance has came from.

Your points are very interesting and I believe that is the origin. I've read that it is a Scottish thing and since they are our neighbours, that is possibly how it came to here.  

Christophers last post is interesting. Gee he's a encylopedia.  ;)  Could be where I got slush from instead of slosh.  Perhaps the local slush is an irish-scots version of the scots slosh.

Everyday on this forum is like a day at school.  :)

(_8())
..It's a Kind of Magic!

giannineo

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 09:34:37 PM »
"Do the Hucklebuck, do the Hucklebuck,
   If you don't know how to do it,
    Then you're out of luck,
     Shove your baby in,
      Twist her all around,
        Then you start to moving and a grooving all around,
          Wriggle like a snake,
            Waddle like a duck,
              That's what you do,  
                When you do THE HUCKLEBUCK".
  Follow up disc was "Don't lose, your Hucklebuck Shoes....will be pleased to demonstrate the Hucklebuck with Colette or Stewie on Mageeka's big night out.
       I remember reading how the Royal Showband Co. Waterford were second only to the Beatles in the earnings stakes and and ahead of the Rolling Stones.Superb Band, so versatile as were most of the showbands.

Christopher

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 09:36:43 PM »
Google frequently helps me. I feel the credit should go to Google 8) I rarely use other search engines.

stewie

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 09:38:31 PM »
"Do the Hucklebuck, do the Hucklebuck,
   If you don't know how to do it,
    Then you're out of luck,
     Shove your baby in,
      Twist her all around,
        Then you start to moving and a grooving all around,
          Wriggle like a snake,
            Waddle like a duck,
              That's what you do,  
                When you do THE HUCKLEBUCK".
  Follow up disc was "Don't lose, your Hucklebuck Shoes....will be pleased to demonstrate the Hucklebuck with Colette or Stewie on Mageeka's big night out.
       I remember reading how the Royal Showband Co. Waterford were second only to the Beatles in the earnings stakes and and ahead of the Rolling Stones.Superb Band, so versatile as were most of the showbands.

ahh G remember it well :D im still quite quick on me feet ;D im looking forward to Ms big night out now ;)

Bogeyman

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 10:05:06 PM »
I remember trying to skate to the Hucklebuck in the Kings hall when it had an ice rink in the early 60,s. 

giannineo

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 10:35:16 PM »
Can you do La Yenka also Stewie?."Everybody come and do La Yenka, backwards forwards,one,two three..you can do it, anyone can do it, come and do La Yenka just like me."I have the original vinyl version by two eejits  from Spain with the dance moves on the sleeve.
      Jeez Bogey , The Hucklebuck on ice, did you get over your rupture or rupchirr like they say in Belshaft?.

teap

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 12:28:49 PM »
Im to young for that G  ;D you may just make do with the stewie  ;)