Author Topic: Botanic Bungalows  (Read 10918 times)

bjay

Re: Botanic Bungalows
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2013, 07:40:57 PM »
Boyds' lived in no.42.
Sammy was a very good footballer who went to Sunderland FC at one time.
He was the star of the botanic gardens kick- a - bouts.
He  later played for irish league team Glenavon.
He was shot dead at the start of the troubles.

Ellen Mcmullan. (Holmes)

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2013, 10:32:42 PM »
Can't really remember sammy but I remember Betty and Freddie Boyd, very to sorry to hear that sammy had been killed.
Regards
Ellen

Pat1956sy

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 11:15:05 PM »
Hello All,  Just found this and it brought back many happy memories!  My names was Patsy Hughes.  I lived at 27 Botanic Bungalows (with my grandparents, Jane and Charlie Jenkins) and moved away in 1968 (when I was 12)  to the United States with my mom.  My best friend in the Bungalows was Maura McAlevey.  We always loved to hang out at the Fountain at the entrance of the Botanic Gardens.  Can't remember for sure, but seemed like we may have been about 10 bungalows or so from that entrance.  Was so very long ago!

Pennywhistle

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2014, 03:41:47 AM »
 iIf it helps my dad was a very good piper!

Hiya "Belfast Boy" ,

By any chance was your Dad known as "Snowball " Reid?

Did your family  have relatives living in Blythe Street (Sandy Row) ?

Did you perhaps have a big sister (my head's hurting now, trying to remember back to the very early Fifties)  Joyce?

If you can tick all those boxes, I believe I have a very old photo of your Dad. The pic. kicked about our house and given the early hour, dare  not start a hoke for it!

The pic. is of "Snowball" in his full pipe- band regalia. Said gentleman was a great chum of my own Da; and as you say,(according to my Da) a great piper!

I don't have a scanner but in the event that  I can locate it, will capture the image on the cell phone and post it on.

Fingers crossed!!

Billy.
" Kitchen house reared and still,rough as Purdy Oaten ".

groomsport

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2014, 06:28:25 PM »
 :) just found this page  my brother Brian lived at no 24. i thought Nancy Muckell  was a twin and her sister was called Cathrine

joanne shaw (matchett)

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2014, 01:21:02 PM »
I lived in botanic bungalows with my mum, Josie, dad, Tommy, twin sister, Sharon and younger sister, margaret and our dog, bracken. Great memories of running free in botanic gardens and going to botanic school. Remember the campbell girls next door, the Thompson's on the other side, Mrs fusco and Joey. The Reid's, michelle, kimberley and Ashley; the boyds, the jones, ivan kirk, diane agnew, deidrea and Josie, the Jones and the holmes families.....wonderful memories.

st patrick

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2015, 01:26:09 PM »
hello pennywhistle i answer yes to all. best wishes from belfastboy now st patrick.  would be nice to see the pic of my dad.

SamG

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2015, 01:44:51 PM »
I remember the bungalows very well. Motor bikes being built and tuned and many happy innocent days in the late sixties. Does anyone remember my mate Davey Lowry?
Stop the ride, I want to get off and go back.

stranmillis v

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2015, 05:03:40 PM »
I remember the bungalows very well. Motor bikes being built and tuned and many happy innocent days in the late sixties. Does anyone remember my mate Davey Lowry?

yes I remember him I think he used to chum around with leslie nesbitt?  . was his dad called George a postie?
"This society believed it was looking towards a new future, yet we consistently find ourselves being dragged backwards."

Bigot's are ignored by me.

SamG

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2015, 09:19:49 AM »
Yes Davey and Colin Gabbey and Dickie Nesbitt, me and a few others all looking up to the clever and knowledgeable Leslie Nesbitt.  Sad to say Leslie was found dead in his house and the funeral on 8.1.14 at Roselawn produced quite a few old faces from those good times.

stranmillis v

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2015, 11:33:01 AM »
I was at Roberts funeral, his brother died a few years back knew them well lived in the same street.
"This society believed it was looking towards a new future, yet we consistently find ourselves being dragged backwards."

SamG

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2015, 09:44:26 PM »
I grew up with Alicia Ferguson and when asked I introduced Tommy to her when he was a lamplighter in our area for the gasworks.  I was at Alicia's funeral shortly after Leslie's as they died in the same week.
Eddie the Dad was a real tyrant as you will doubtless remember.

stranmillis v

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2015, 10:19:14 PM »
yes I used to love listening to the history of the street from him.

Colin O Neill

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2017, 08:17:23 PM »
I lived in the botanic bungalows hung out with the Kirks , Jim , Bobby also Ashley Reid the Boyds , Davy Lorry ,Jimmie Jones fond memories from the 60s .

jonesy578

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2020, 05:05:11 PM »
No. That would be Betty Boyd.