Author Topic: The Jampot  (Read 13710 times)

bob2

Re: The Jampot
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2013, 11:16:58 AM »
Also beaked off kelvin to play snooker better than hrs science with Mr Hewitt or woodwork with harry rubber hands lol

muckles

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2013, 12:23:55 PM »
See what I mean, you just don't know who you are going to meet that knows someone you do. That's amazing, funny I remember the name Vera & Earl but not Emma. I will have to let my sister Muriel know because she would have been closer in age I think. I think they were all married and moved before I came along.  :D

There is another member on here who lived just across the street from them, his name is McCusker and we were talking one day about playing ball and how your Grandma would sometimes take the ball and chase us. She would always give me the ball back as long as I went to the top of the street to play.  :D
Yes Val:   My mother was the eldest and probably left Norwood Street around 1936/37. and moved up to Soudan Street where I was born.

It's not enough that we do our best;
sometimes we have to do what's required.
Go n-eírí an bóthar leat is do chasán cóngaír

Val

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2013, 02:53:13 PM »
Jeez Muckles, that was way before my time.... :D if I remember correctly your grandparents lived on their own when I was young and the family had all moved on to married life.

muckles

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2013, 04:06:28 PM »
Jeez Muckles, that was way before my time.... :D if I remember correctly your grandparents lived on their own when I was young and the family had all moved on to married life.
That's correct Val.  I wasn't born until 1945.  My sisters and me used to stay at my Granny's when we were young and probably played with some of the kids on the street.  I may have met you.

Val

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2013, 05:24:52 AM »
That's correct Val.  I wasn't born until 1945.  My sisters and me used to stay at my Granny's when we were young and probably played with some of the kids on the street.  I may have met you.

Earl, you never know, I was born 1944.... ::) :D Your grandparents lived 3 doors up from us.  :)

muckles

« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2013, 01:22:43 PM »
Val:
Do you remember James Johnson.  The two brothers who had the butchers/grocery shop in sandy Row near the Boyne Bridge.  My mother used to do her messages (as she called her shopping) there, until the 60's even though we lived up the Donegall Rd.  he used to give me little treats.
When did you come to Canada? 

Val

« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2013, 03:19:16 PM »
Hi Muckles,

yes I remember Mr. Johnston and he would burst into song. :D My Aunts liked his meats so we had to go there for her but we shopped at Scott's the bucher at the corner of Wellwood/Sandy Row.   

We landed in Canada  Apr.4th 1966 we came by ship as my husband and our friends wanted a holiday. Some holiday, we hit heavy waves in the Atlantic and we thought we were all doomed. I just met a girl at the last Meet who came over on the same ship and was friends of our friends, Maureen & David. We recognised each other instantly, what a surprise that was.   ::)

muckles

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2013, 04:28:17 PM »
Hi Muckles,

yes I remember Mr. Johnston and he would burst into song. :D My Aunts liked his meats so we had to go there for her but we shopped at Scott's the bucher at the corner of Wellwood/Sandy Row.   

We landed in Canada  Apr.4th 1966 we came by ship as my husband and our friends wanted a holiday. Some holiday, we hit heavy waves in the Atlantic and we thought we were all doomed. I just met a girl at the last Meet who came over on the same ship and was friends of our friends, Maureen & David. We recognised each other instantly, what a surprise that was.   ::)
Yes, Mr. Johnson was quite a singer.  In fact he was a tenor and sang in Europe.  I have a cd of his that my cousin gave to me.  I landed on Dec 29th 1965 by plane.  What ship did you come in?  My wife came in 60 on the Saxonia.

Val

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2013, 12:33:36 AM »
Yes, Mr. Johnson was quite a singer.  In fact he was a tenor and sang in Europe.  I have a cd of his that my cousin gave to me.  I landed on Dec 29th 1965 by plane.  What ship did you come in?  My wife came in 60 on the Saxonia.

We came on the Cunard Line, "Carinthia".

Jonboy

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2017, 07:18:38 PM »
My dad was the jam pot snooker champion in late 1950s his name was tommy magee
I can't however find out more about this
Can anybody help me out
He was very proud of the fact he lived in sandy row and taught my English mum how to make champ. He moved to England early 60s

James corbett

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2019, 08:44:09 PM »
My daddy played wth him and he fanced my mum  :o arder corbett

James corbett

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2019, 08:47:59 PM »
And they used to go the plaza him an higgys..after the jam pot

goshawk

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2019, 11:33:58 AM »

That was good knowing that, i live in Lurgan and would love to have played in the Jampot i used to play like 10+ hours a day myself including a lot of play using the Advanced Lineup when Practising.
i am a member of the Mechanics Institute in Lurgan but no longer play the game as I've to wear glasses since i got Diabetes.

paul allen