Author Topic: The Jampot  (Read 14099 times)

muckles

Re: The Jampot
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 07:25:45 PM »
cecil wrote a couple of books for Alex and I am in them, seeing as Cecil is your brother in law just mention Georgie Kirkwood. You would most likely know my nephew Joe Kerr.

I have read most books on Higgie.  In fact, just finished Eye of the Hurrican but I didn't know Cecil wrote any. He's mentioned in it a couple of times. I'm in Canada and only see him periodically.
It's not enough that we do our best;
sometimes we have to do what's required.
Go n-eírí an bóthar leat is do chasán cóngaír

goshawk

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 09:44:12 AM »
Muscles I know Cecil Mason
i knew a man from soudan street called harry mason he is related
paul allen

gillespie

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 01:14:50 PM »
Hi Geordie
did you ever play in the bct club? .I new Joe Kerr when he was playing for the Dunmurry Club
he was a very good snooker player and also remember we Cecil Mason at the Windsor.His son Alan
was a good player late 70s early 80s. I came from Sandy Row,Majestic St when the Jampot was going in the 60s
I was to young to get in but used to watch from the open door in the entry. The sweety factory that started there was called the Golden Ball. I played Higgy in an exhibition match at the carreras club 1976 .My mate Tommy McCochoran was a good friend of Higgys and got us front row seats.Eddie Swaffield had just won the all Ireland
and was heading for the world amateurs in South Africa Alex asked the audience for a whip round to help fund
the trip as at that time there was no funding available im sure Eddie was grateful
Regards Jimbo

goshawk

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 02:15:27 PM »
is the jampot club still going,id love to look inside it,what other snooker clubs did alex higgins play in.
paul allen

pauline steel

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2010, 10:19:12 PM »
Jampot knocked  down years ago .The site is know Housing Executive Houses

goshawk

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2010, 10:21:30 PM »
Jampot knocked  down years ago .The site is know Housing Executive Houses
  thanks for the info was it knocked down many years ago i seem to remember reading about snooker still being played there,i played most of my snooker in the 1980's here in lurgan in the mechanics institute.
paul allen

pauline steel

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2010, 10:28:50 PM »
at least 25 years ago

goshawk

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2010, 10:34:19 PM »
at least 25 years ago
thanks what street was it in do you know the exact address
paul allen

pauline steel

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2010, 11:35:47 PM »
not of the top of my head but will try and find out for you .I know it was off the main Donegall Road.

gillespie

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2010, 11:13:02 AM »
Hi Goshawk
the jampot was in an entry that ran parallel to the Donegal Road.As Pauline has mentioned the area now has been redeveloped with new housing  but the front row of housing on the Donegal road is still there
Regards Jimbo

RabRow

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2010, 11:26:37 AM »
Can't remember a sweetie place there but I remember a lemonade place in the entry off the Donegall Road where the Jampot was. I think it was called McLellans, something like that.

goshawk

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2010, 11:42:41 AM »
thanks i had relatives who lived in soudan street was the jampot far from there,i remember going there as a young boy to visit them with my mother.id love to know what the actual door number the jampot was located,id like to know how to find the actual location where the jampot was.
paul allen

goshawk

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2010, 11:44:50 AM »
Hi Goshawk
the jampot was in an entry that ran parallel to the Donegal Road.As Pauline has mentioned the area now has been redeveloped with new housing  but the front row of housing on the Donegal road is still there
Regards Jimbo
[/quote thanks i had relatives who lived in soudan street was the jampot far from there,i remember going there as a young boy to visit them with my mother.id love to know what the actual door number the jampot was located,id like to know how to find the actual location where the jampot was.[/size]

paul allen

gillespie

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2010, 11:57:20 AM »
Hi Goshawk if you would like to visit the area give me a call 07779658766
Jimbo

goshawk

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2010, 12:02:40 PM »
Hi Goshawk if you would like to visit the area give me a call 07779658766
Jimbo
many thanks, will do that i will try and arrange that with you as i live in lurgan,any idea where i can get old photos of those streets like soudan street and where the jampot was from the 1950's to 1970's,i would love to get a photo of the jampot.
paul allen