Author Topic: Bangor  (Read 39896 times)

giannineo

Re: Bangor
« Reply #165 on: April 22, 2007, 11:14:16 AM »
Cheers Les, I was wrongly under the impression that Nelson's boat yard was at the Quarry Hole and beside the Marina..
    Great site provided by Rotary.We used to play putting at the Commons and tennis.
     In my early twenties I would pitch a tent just past the Quarry going towards the Commons and have a grand weekend with evening visits to Grace Neill's.We arrived late one Friday evening, stowed the tent in a boat and headed for Grace Neill's. No way were we going to pitch a tent in the dark after an evening in the pub.  .rolled out tent and we used it as a massive waterproof banket.....woke up refreshed under a sunny sky....marvellous.

aussietrekker

« Reply #166 on: April 22, 2007, 01:08:09 PM »
That is one good pub.
"Never confuse religion with spirituality."
-Father Bob Maguire, South Melbourne. 2011.

giannineo

« Reply #167 on: April 22, 2007, 02:24:39 PM »
Hi Oz, you are dead right.I spent many a great evening there,guitars and a big sing song with old guys coming in and reciting funny poems....craic at its best.

debisioux

« Reply #168 on: April 25, 2007, 06:39:52 PM »
Hi folks. Just had a read through the thread here as my other half's from Bangor. I asked him about Jerry and Julie and he remembers them very fondly, said something about Julie being Scottish.
I know Quinton Nelson , been on one of his lifeboats for a wee sail and he's a great guy.

Mooncoin

« Reply #169 on: April 25, 2007, 09:59:53 PM »
Hi Debi

I remember Jerry and Julie alright, whatever happened to them, I heard they ended up in Scotland but don't know whether its true or not.

debisioux

« Reply #170 on: April 25, 2007, 10:07:04 PM »
I asked himself if he remembered them and this big smile came over his face, he's no idea what became of them , but remembered that Jerry had been a teacher when him & Julie met. Julie was Scottish so there could be truth in the rumour that they went to Scotland.He remembers a lot of the faces  from then as his family had a shop in the town. I asked another mate there now on the phone and he heard they're both passed away.

Duffy

« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2007, 12:24:22 PM »
Hi
Another ex Bangorian here.  Nice to know that there are other Bangorians on this site.

Left Bangor about 15 years ago but have been back a few times.  Now living in England.

Any one fancy a chat, see u on here.

Christopher

« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
Hi
Another ex Bangorian here.  Nice to know that there are other Bangorians on this site.

Left Bangor about 15 years ago but have been back a few times.  Now living in England.

Any one fancy a chat, see u on here.

Welcome to the Forum, Duffy. Would you be kind enough to spread the word about this site to your Norn Iron friends. A letter mentioning the site was published in the Mourne Observer yesterday. We won't object if you are able to get a letter onto the letters page in your local paper in England telling Belfast and Norn Iron people in your area about the Forum. Letters to the press are free 8) There's just the little problem of making them sufficiently interesting so that the Editor includes them. 

Mooncoin

« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2007, 04:07:27 PM »
Hi Duffy and welcome to the forum, there are a few people from Bangor on here, hope to see you posting.

aussietrekker

« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2007, 12:55:29 AM »
Hi Duffy, I went to primary school in Bangor with a Marion Duffy, is she one of yours?

Duffy

« Reply #175 on: April 27, 2007, 12:17:29 PM »
Hi Aussietrekker

No I am not related to Marion Duffy.  Duffy is my nickname.  BTW what schools did you go to.

This is a great topic as I have seen some of the pics posted on here and I remember the scenes so well.  A lot of the place mentioned I have been to in my wild and misspent youth.  I remember The Savoy, Queen's Court. Helmsman, Wolsey,s when it was the Trident and before that the International. All the old pubs, clubs and dancehalls (discos).  I worked in the Royal part time years ago and I remember Donny the assistant chef.

Oh Happy Days.

Jerry and Julie what characters. 

Well I hope to get to know everyone well and reminise about our hometown. :)

gthomp045

« Reply #176 on: April 27, 2007, 04:52:15 PM »
Now living in Castlereagh but brought up in Silverstream Bangor. Went to Clandeboye Primary and BGS but turned out normal.

Still a biker of sorts at age 48 and I remember the Paddock at the pier, the Tonic, the Trident (before the Wolseys bought Bangor) and Minnie Deleno with her big bunch of keys in Barry's.

The Queen's cinema and the free Saturday tickets sent to the schools where we had a riot at the matinees. The poor staff! Once the film broke down and no one appeared to be there to fix it. Nothing happened so we just played in the dark.

Nice to hear you all out there!

Duffy

« Reply #177 on: April 28, 2007, 01:12:18 PM »
Hi gthomp045.

Funny how all those places you mentioned come flooding back.  If you went to Clandeboye you might remember some oul pupils.  The Lightbodys from Whitehill, McDowell, Ricky Flood, and the Miskellys.  I remember quite a few from BGS as well, altho being female obviously I didn't go there.

I remember Bill Wolsey when he was at Ballyholme PS.  His da was the Town Clerk if I recall.

Chat soon

aussietrekker

« Reply #178 on: April 29, 2007, 11:11:32 PM »
Hi Duffy, I only went to St. Comgall's as my family moved to Australia when I was 9. I went to high school in Melbourne.

Hi Gthomp, I also lived in Silverstream, (Park) and there was another girl on the forum from Silverstream Crescent. She dropped lots of names that I remembered, even after 40+ years. I knew most of the Silverstream kids who went to Clandeboye, did many of them go to BGS?

giannineo

« Reply #179 on: April 29, 2007, 11:13:49 PM »
I meet lods of people in Scotland who had coach holidays to N.I. before "the troubles"...they mostly stayed at the Savoy and loved it. They speak of an evening entertainer but can never remember the name.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy