Author Topic: Bangor  (Read 33430 times)

bangorbiker

Re: Bangor
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2007, 06:57:46 PM »
Where did you drink in Bangor suse,you must have staggered at one point! Viking?

susieone6

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2007, 07:03:49 PM »
Many a good night was had in the Viking, used to go to parties in there when the O'Haras owned it, was the place to be seen. Went to the Helmsman many times and even in the very old days went to The Savoy, met my first serious boyfriend there. Remember my mother telling me to be careful no one put anything in my orange. ..as if. Used to go to The Windsor as well before it was all changed

bangorbiker

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2007, 07:18:50 PM »
I was there a brave few times meself and had the odd dance,very odd.Castle Arms was a favourite haunt of mine and was where I had my stag night.Ended up carrying an old rotten tree to my best man's house in Church Road/Avenue and my mate slept there by mistake while we all went on somewhere else.I think he had an incident with a Super Ser which caused him to lose most of his hair.I drank dark rum that night,never again.Sick as an old sea dog.Had a great chat with a hedge.Privet I think though might have griselina.Good hedge,still there.Am away for me dinner then see Corrie.

susieone6

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2007, 07:28:47 PM »
Did you dance round your handbag? Was only in the Castle Arms once that I remember. It has some pouncey name now doesn't it?

bangorbiker

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2007, 08:34:24 PM »
Not sure which bag I danced around.The Arms has some new name yes,and they cook fusion food,some change from the pies they used to do!

susieone6

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2007, 09:05:44 PM »
Don't think I was one of the bags you danced round (was I)? What about The Tonic? My ma's cousin was the cashier and we used to get in for nothing. Shame and disgrace when it was knocked down.

bangorbiker

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2007, 09:13:56 PM »
I would have remembered you suse,and you would have remembered my dancing,I need a big space! Have a load of slides somewhere showing the demise of the Tonic,or Odeon.Loved that cinema,got a snog in it.Have an old film reel can I rummaged from the ruins of it,the cinema,not the snog.The film was Salem's Lot.One of Stephen King's best books.

susieone6

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2007, 09:17:49 PM »
Many a snog I had up in the balcony with the first real love of my life. Love Salem's Lot, no matter how many times I watch, it always scares the c*** out of me. Isn't there anyone else on here remembers these things or are we the only sad gets in Bangor

giannineo

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2007, 09:24:51 PM »
My mates went to see an erotic dancer a bit of women wrestling type stuff in a pub in thon big main street running down the hill to the front circa 1975.
     Yir dancing wummin comes out and does a bit of fire eating but set fire to her hair....hee,hee,hee,and I missed it as I was out dating a wee bird and got nowhere with her ;D

susieone6

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2007, 09:30:38 PM »
What pub was that G? Biker will know the answer, he seems to know all the pubs round here

giannineo

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2007, 09:39:52 PM »
Suse, t'was on the lhs going down the hill and about halfway down....sorry cannot remember more than that.
     1974 ish we were drinking in a pub on the rhs of that street near the bottom when there was a huge BOOM. A bomb had gone off in a pub further up on the same side and on the corner of a street.Everyone paused for a second and then continued drinking. When we left, the other pub with the bomb was back in full swing.The windows were all blown out and the glass had been swept up into neat piles outside.The curtains were blowing out throught the gaps where the windows had been and it was a freezing cold wet night.There was raucous singing from the pub and it seemed to be an an attitude of "stuff the bombers, they're not ruining our Saturday night."Strange situation almost surreal and wonderful human resolve.
     Used to dance in the Queen's Court Hotel and try unsuccessfully to pick up birds there.

bangorbiker

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2007, 09:44:44 PM »
I only had the one snog and I must have been rubbish as I was dumped soon after! Never saw no erotic dancers in Bangor in 75,missed them.Was only 17 then so might not have been allowed in

bangorbiker

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2007, 09:45:50 PM »
Think it was the Imperial.  

aussietrekker

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2007, 12:09:42 AM »
Anyone remember an old bloke named John who used to feed the pigeons each afternoon by the McKee Clock? This would be in 1976 on my first trip back to Bangor. They used to fly from across the road and light all over him. I made friends with him and his pigeons, and his entourage of oul lads. It was a happy time.
"Never confuse religion with spirituality."
-Father Bob Maguire, South Melbourne. 2011.

MAgeeka

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2007, 04:39:44 AM »
Anyone from Bangor remember a boy in the early fifties ,named Jimmy Lee ?
He was swinging in an old shed, when he fell and foot went through the floor. Well, under the floor he found a box stuffed with old gold sovereigns .
He was cousin of my friend