Author Topic: Bangor  (Read 34609 times)

Christopher

Re: Bangor
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2007, 02:47:05 AM »
Did any of you Bangorians know John Mullan ???
He was active in the Ballyholme Yacht Club.
He died some years ago while still a young man.

ardieB

« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2007, 11:59:44 AM »
Sorry Christopher,the name doesnt ring a bell with me though I am not into yachting or boating.The only name I know associated with the yacht club is Kenneth Halliwell.
ardie

CJC

« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2007, 02:09:18 PM »
(transferred from Sweet thread)

Yeah, I noticed that the old Silverstream shops were gone, and were being replaced with some hideous townhouses. So I took some photos before the damage was done. I even have some slides in storage, of the shops and the farm paddocks behind... complete with the endless blackberry walls. Speaking of burns, do you remember as far back as the little stream and the island? It got bulldozed for the ring road. Sacred territory the lot, and now it's all gone. :'(

Aussie, the shops at Silverstream were my stomping ground as a child, all indeed gone, the grocery shop and sweet shop both owned by Mr and Mrs Whitley who lived in the flat above, both now deceased, they did in fact own all 4 shops. The wool shop was run by Mrs Grant who was the first person I ever knew of to have a knitting machine, she too lived above the shop. More recently the grocery shop was a caravan accesory shop and the sweet shop was a video rental shop. The hairdressers relocated to Ballymaconnell Road in Ballyholme. Then came the bulldozers and another era gone.

CJC

« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2007, 02:48:26 PM »
Did any of you Bangorians know John Mullan ???
He was active in the Ballyholme Yacht Club.
He died some years ago while still a young man.

Only Yacht Club members I knew of where the O'Haras that owned the Royal Hotel, sorry

ardieB

« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2007, 02:52:39 PM »
Went to school with Bill O'Hara.Never see him about Bangor tho

CJC

« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2007, 03:02:08 PM »
Far as I know when the hotel was sold to Paul Donegan the O'Haras moved away, they lived on Raglan Road and their house was recently for sale with planning permission for conversion to apartments

ardieB

« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2007, 03:09:35 PM »
Good info there CJC.
Doesnt Donegan own the Windsor?? And wasnt there a Donegans pub on High Street or maybe there still is? 

CJC

« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2007, 03:15:29 PM »
Paul Donegan took over the running of The Windsor from his father some years ago and modernised the whole place. He also owns the flats above the pub. Not sure about Donegans in High Street, maybe another member could answer that for you, probably wrong but think it is now known by another name.

CJC

« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2007, 09:28:33 AM »
Can anyone from Bangor help me out here, just been speaking to one of our patients and we were trying to remember the name of the barber on the Clandeboye Road, very religious wee man. Bugging me now that I can't remember.

ardieB

« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2007, 11:12:39 AM »
Hmmm, ::)I know the barber you mean,he had photos all round the place of different hair styles. John Henry??? Robert Henry???

ardieB

« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2007, 11:13:56 AM »
Or was his last name Roberts???

CJC

« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2007, 11:43:25 AM »
Thanks ArdieB, have remembered, his hame was Roy, can't get the shop name, thanks again. Never left without a gospel track

Christopher

« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2007, 02:32:26 PM »
The 1969 Spectator Directory of Bangor's not much help ... no Henry or Roberts on Clandeboye Road.

BTW did you know William David Trimble was born in 1944 in Bangor ???

CJC

« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2007, 03:35:41 PM »
Thanks Christopher, the shop was known locally as "Roys", he gave up recently due to ill health and the premises is now sold. Wasn't under his ownership in 1969.

I heard that somewhere recently about William David Trimble

aussietrekker

« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2007, 10:50:11 PM »
Who is William David Trimble?
"Never confuse religion with spirituality."
-Father Bob Maguire, South Melbourne. 2011.