Author Topic: Anyone remember the Strandville club  (Read 7103 times)

REP1

Anyone remember the Strandville club
« on: December 09, 2009, 06:21:51 PM »
Anyone remember the Strandville club, in the Short Strand it was in Thompson Place.
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

sydenhambetty

Re: Anyone remember the Strandville club
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 06:54:22 PM »
REP1 was that St. Mathews club?
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.  Oscar Wilde

REP1

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 07:02:57 PM »
Your in the same street, it was a very small club opposite the door of Saint Matthews old club. It was a parlour house knocked into one. It had a great atmosphere mostly filled with cigarette smoke.
some great sing alongs, no one was allowed to talk whenever a singer started.

GandT

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 07:46:26 PM »
Anyone remember the Strandville club, in the Short Strand it was in Thompson Place.

Remember it vividly [well, as vividly as great age allows]. My father was a member and I recall watching football [1950s FA Cup Final - Man City versus Somebody - Preston?? in the match when Bert Trautmann played on with a broken neck] on a black and white television. Seems that I also watched Hungary destroy England at Wembley although I may have this mixed up with watching newsreel. I remember the smell - actually very welcoming - smoke etc. I think I remember going there as a kid to get a present from Santa and I can still recall names of some 'old' guys there (vaguely) like Jack McNamara, Barney McLarnon, Dinny Thompson etc. It must have been an old parlour house knocked into one as it ran parallel to the other houses in the street but to a child it always seemed very large and intriguing. Amazing how many memories it brings

bealfeirste

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 07:56:03 PM »
A great wee club and legal as well,great committe Vincent Dawson,John Donaldson et all. What was the name of the club that was in Nobles Field in the 50s.

REP1

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 08:06:52 PM »
I think you are talking about the Sean Martin club. later GAA

REP1

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 09:23:32 PM »
members were Patsy Morgan Vincent Dawson Barney McClarnon Touser Thompsom John White Paddy O'Neil Tucker Morrow Jimmy Burns Jim Logue Jim Dulligan Joe Halfpenny Charley Macken John McNally Eddie Carlin Jimmy Fitzsimmons Jack Renagh Jackie Murphy Joe Lowe Alec Lundy Lorno Devlin. I'm sure there are many more feel free to add the ones you know.

shiv602

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 09:35:16 PM »
a bit too young for me to remember it but i remember everyone talking about it and have seen pics of it.....know a few of the members too, Tucker morrow and jimmy ftzsimons....

noots123

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 11:01:08 AM »
HI EVERYONE HAVE'NT BEEN ON HERE FOR A LONG TIME. WE WERE JUST TALKING ABOUT THAT AT A FAMILY WAKE AT THE WEEKEND THE STRANDVILLE WAS ACTUALLY A STORE THAT WAS USED BY THE ENGINEERING WORKS ACROSS THE STREET THAT LATER BECAME ST MATTHEWS BIG HALL. THE BEST CLUB IN BELFAST IN THE LATE SEVENTIES EARLY EIGHTIES.

GandT

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 11:43:10 AM »
My aunts once lived right next to the Strandville Club and my father was a member who only had to walk next door! But I am confused by the history of Thompson Place. I only ever remember a blank wall with a door opposite the house (no 16). I do not recall any St Matthew's Club there prior to 1970s or during 1950s / early-mid 1960s. Did I miss all of this or was it that the club had existed before 1950s and a new one constructed there during the 1970s?

road hog

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 12:45:54 PM »
I used to go there on friday nights to the disco,Jim Logue ran it, he used to keep a close eye on me, maybe it was becuase I was such a good dancer Lol
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

REP1

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 04:42:13 PM »
noots123. you are mixing up St Matthews that began around 1971 with Strandville which was on the opposite side of Thompson Place. it was a parlour house knocked into one, Some people called it Patsy's named after Patsy Morgan. one of the founder members. the had football team and Celtic supporters club.
Though you are right about ST matthews being a store and was once Sam Watsons Black smith yard

road hog

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 05:06:40 PM »
rep1, you havnt done much rep/ing today big lad, what are you doing home at this time?and before you ask what I have done; nowt,my oldest grandchild and I have been looking after the wild life in Lurgan park,ie: feeding the ducks and geese, what a life, hope this weather keeps up, Lol

REP1

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 05:25:39 PM »
still working always something to do sorting out emails, saving the world? Sounds good to me, you have it made.

road hog

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 06:00:25 PM »
The most vivid memory of the strandville club, is, wheelbase never played there, horah, Lol