Author Topic: gaa football  (Read 2748 times)

glenb

Re: gaa football
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 11:36:14 PM »
Had a few pints up in Sarsfields a few weeks ago, hadn't been in there in ages, looks a bit run down

martyweeman

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 04:22:23 PM »
i played for sean martins before moving to st mals after the martins senior teams were no more

road hog

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 09:17:02 AM »
Played for the martins myself marty, minor and senior, tis a pity the football has ended, the club has a good catchment area, maybe a gael like yourself will revive it
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

martyweeman

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 05:21:48 PM »
road hog i agree area has a great catchment and mickey o hara and skin worked their socks off trying to keep it going, i dont live in the area anymore but was hoping maybe some of the younger lads like mickey o donnell would bring it back to former glorys but its hard to compete with the football , kids dont have the same intrest and i think myself and other lads were lucky at our age growing up to have a gael like hugh nugent to show us that gaa could provide as much fun as football

road hog

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 06:44:24 PM »
When I played marty, the player / manager was Danny Taggart. Other players were Dessie Bateson and his brother Thomas, John Carlisle, two brothers from Ardoyne named Turley,Tom and Alan Hughes The late Ricky Mc Cusker, his brother John, and others I cant remember. When I got married, I moved to lurgan and played for the great clann na gael, then the medals rolled in, so sad about the martins though. 
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

martyweeman

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 10:28:05 PM »
i knew danny taggert very well when i was young he was a good friend of my father and mother , my mother camoged for the club in the 40s when the pitch was at hollywood, as i said i dont live in the area anymore been in scotland for about 13yrs now , was lucky enough to win the county junior championship with the club when i played so not bad for a wee team from the east , lol

bridge ender

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 10:37:04 PM »
My dad played for the O'Neill Ogs which was the team from Ballymacarrett before the Sean Martins were formed .The majority of the players moved to the new team Sean Martins this was in the mid 40's.

BE
Life is lived forwards and understood backwards.

homebird 2

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 11:38:11 PM »
Marty i think i know you and played both against and with you and i was on the losing side that time you won the junior championship. I was still playing up until this year but have also been managing the mals now for 2 years

martyweeman

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 08:11:39 PM »
homebird im sure you did play for the same mals team as me , good to hear your looking after the youth teams is paddy nesson still taking to do with the club , he,s a good lad , mals have a good setup and good clubmen like liam martin sr

Mitcher

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 08:16:13 PM »
Is Sean Mullholland still involved with St Malachys?

martyweeman

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 09:32:14 PM »
i lost touch with sean jrn (my fault) not keeping in touch so have no idea if him or his dad are still there , will have to call up when im next home and get his number off his dad , two fantastic guys the both of them always made me welcome in their home and company