Author Topic: Woodstock Street  (Read 48588 times)

strandguy

Woodstock Street
« on: January 01, 2010, 11:10:02 PM »
Hi

Looking for any photos of Woodstock street - my father (Eddie Eccles) had a  shop at the corner of Woodstock Street and Thompson Street until about 1972.

Would love to turn something up!

Moorfield Street

Re: Woodstock Street
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 12:38:29 AM »
strandguy.    Here is an old photo looking towards Woodstock St. from the Alberbridge, along Madrid St., I downloaded from Belfast Forum, sometime ago, I forget the details so cannot remember, who posted it.

Gerard Mcg

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 09:31:32 PM »
Hi

Looking for any photos of Woodstock street - my father (Eddie Eccles) had a  shop at the corner of Woodstock Street and Thompson Street until about 1972.

There is a photo of Woodstock St.elsewhere on the forum(one of the Shory Strand threads).Unfortunately,it is of John Murray's shop at the other end of the street.

Gerard Mcg

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 09:48:48 PM »
Hi

Have you any idea what happened to the tall girl from Lisbon St. who used to work in your shop?...Mary Quirk???.She's the one who got stabbed so many times.

Gerard Mcg

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 09:51:03 PM »

victor1

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 01:33:11 PM »
No Photo I'm afraid but i remember Eddie Eccles shop like it was yesterday, I loved that wee shop as a kid, it sold just about everything, with Maggie Keenies on the other corner, memories are flooding back here, thanks !

Jim B

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 05:38:54 PM »
Jimmy Burns had his shop there later and Tucker Morrow had the Chippy next door
My battery was dead...

Gerard Mcg

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 11:20:52 PM »
No Photo I'm afraid but i remember Eddie Eccles shop like it was yesterday, I loved that wee shop as a kid, it sold just about everything, with Maggie Keenies on the other corner, memories are flooding back here, thanks !
Don't forget about Alfie McDonaghs or Susie Donnelly(cnr of Thomson + Lisbon Sts.)

victor1

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 07:35:03 AM »
Susie Donnelly would attack ya with a brush pole if she thought ya were gonna knick from her, even when ya wern't, she was a foookin rocket !

olelad

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 11:04:45 AM »
strandguy.    Here is an old photo looking towards Woodstock St. from the Alberbridge, along Madrid St., I downloaded from Belfast Forum, sometime ago, I forget the details so cannot remember, who posted it.

what agreat photo. i remember been at that bus stop waiting for a bus to the hollywood rd were some of my class at st augustines had work experance in a book shop ?! when half asleep the bus flys past and my class mates shouting waken up and laughing there heads of  :smile:

as for woodstock st. i alway found it strange it been named that and yet had nothing to do with the woodstock rd itself ?!  :unsure:

Gerard Mcg

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 10:07:25 PM »
Susie Donnelly would attack ya with a brush pole if she thought ya were gonna knick from her, even when ya wern't, she was a foookin rocket !

How come none of us were frightened to ask Maggie Keenie(Evil one-eye) for a penny drink?

victor1

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 07:39:05 AM »
Maggie hypnotised ya with her good looks, a bit like Iris Robinson lol

strandguy

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 11:52:09 AM »
Mary Quirk got married in the early 70s and headed to Canada where she still lives. She has been back a few times on visits and to see family etc - I remember the stabbing incident liske yesterday. The guy who did it was a driver for Coca Cola and he arrived (after work) at the shop one evening fairly tanked up. We think he mistook Mary for another girl that used to work in the shop. Something happened and he pulled a knife and he stabbed her. I remember hearing the screams and my father Eddie Eccles went out to see what happened. Anyway there was a chase along Thompson St and Eddie and a couple of other men caught him and brought him back. The police arrived and the guy eventually did time. Mary was very lucky. Eddie ended up with his picture in the Telegraph weighing apples or something! Seems like yesterday!

spacetinker

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 01:11:52 PM »
Jimmy Burns had his shop there later and Tucker Morrow had the Chippy next door

And before Eddie E....shop was run for years by a man called Rogers.

Looking down Woodstock Street ....in the "good ol' days".
cheers. ....Tink

John East

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 02:10:17 PM »
Thanks for sharing your pictues folks.