Author Topic: Woodstock Street  (Read 43093 times)

Jim B

Re: Woodstock Street
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 06:38:48 PM »

And before Eddie E....shop was run for years by a man called Rogers.

Looking down Woodstock Street ....in the "good ol' days".
cheers. ....Tink
If I remember right, thats John Murrays car, He owned the shop you see in pic.
My battery was dead...

victor1

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 07:45:10 AM »
Your right it is John Murrays car, I remember it well. I always admired the shine he had on the wooden facias on the car, they were polished like mirrors.

victor1

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 08:34:55 PM »
That looks very like Bill Curran in the picture, anyone remember Bill ? He always dressed well and reminded me of an English Toff lol

redrooster

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 09:54:39 PM »
 :( Eddie Eccles God he was an absolute monster didnt 1 of his lads join the RUC?

strandguy

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 01:11:46 PM »
That is one super picture! Amazing - any more like that one?

Thanks

strandguy

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 01:12:34 PM »
Did he have a son right enough who joined the RUC?

strandguy

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 01:14:27 PM »
Definitely John Murray's car - he always drove Morris Minor Estates - any ideas when the pic was taken? 69?

noots123

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 06:21:25 PM »
You will most likely find photos of woodstock street on Frankie Quinns site he has a lot work taken by JB Brady these pictures appear every year in a calender produced by a few local men and are the talk of the Strand  and beyond

colin murray

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 12:39:41 AM »
Think it was 72 Ken !

road hog

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 12:12:32 PM »
Mary Quirk got married in the early 70s and headed to Canada where she still lives. She has been back a few times on visits and to see family etc - I remember the stabbing incident liske yesterday. The guy who did it was a driver for Coca Cola and he arrived (after work) at the shop one evening fairly tanked up. We think he mistook Mary for another girl that used to work in the shop. Something happened and he pulled a knife and he stabbed her. I remember hearing the screams and my father Eddie Eccles went out to see what happened. Anyway there was a chase along Thompson St and Eddie and a couple of other men caught him and brought him back. The police arrived and the guy eventually did time. Mary was very lucky. Eddie ended up with his picture in the Telegraph weighing apples or something! Seems like yesterday!
strandguy, what year did that happen,I remember a big fellow called Quirk,coming to the sean martins to play football, he was huge, would have made a great mid fielder, but he was no good, that must have been his sister
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

road hog

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 05:10:23 PM »
No Photo I'm afraid but i remember Eddie Eccles shop like it was yesterday, I loved that wee shop as a kid, it sold just about everything, with Maggie Keenies on the other corner, memories are flooding back here, thanks !
VICTOR1, where was maggie keenies
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

victor1

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 05:17:06 PM »
The corner of Thomson street and Thomson place Bill.

Gerard Mcg

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 06:05:01 PM »
strandguy, what year did that happen,I remember a big fellow called Quirk,coming to the sean martins to play football, he was huge, would have made a great mid fielder, but he was no good, that must have been his sister
Must have been 65/66.I think.I remember there was blood everywhere.We were only kids so it may not have been quite as bad as all that.Having said that,she was stabbed several times in the face and neck.

strandguy

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 06:38:17 PM »
Mary Quirk had two brothers - Jim and Tony - both very tall - probably was one of them who tried out the football alright!

strandguy

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 06:46:22 PM »
Re Mary Quirk stabbing - it was pretty bad and she was very lucky - you are right - she was stabbed several times around the face and neck and there awsa lot of blood - that said, the guy that did it got 'clipped' a few times when he was caught and ended up bleeding a bit before the police etc arrived.