Author Topic: Woodstock Street  (Read 53575 times)

Laganvillage

Re: Woodstock Street
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2011, 07:19:20 PM »
Yep, I remember the sweet  shop at the picturedrome alright, and Gemmells must have made a fortune, I would say every house in the area got a pigs foot in it every week end

Yes that stretch of the Albert from Mountpottinger junction to the bridge was one of the best shopping roads in the town you could have bought anything and on a Saturday morning it was thronged with people. Harry James's shop with the rabbits, wood pigeons and other fowls hanging on display outside was a famous sight for Eastenders. Cecil Feeley's nearby, he would dress up as Santa at Christmas and you would get a wee present. There were also some stalls on the waste ground beside Paddy Hunt's pub The Bar Forty in my day. Sadly the troubles and redevelopement destroyed any sense of community there.  Now there is a souless and noisy expressway and they call it progress.

Laganvillage

« Reply #151 on: March 13, 2011, 07:31:10 PM »
YO ! MEMORIES, WE HAD PEACE THEN, WELL SORT OFF !

Anyone recall the big advertising hoarding at that corner of Woodstock St which looked onto the Woodstock Rd?
It was rght next to the Manchester and Midland TV shop. I was told that on the site of the hoarding there stood a pub called the Glen Bar (not to be confused with the Glentoran Bar) i think the Glen Bar was damaged in the blitz.

road hog

« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2011, 07:58:11 AM »
Great pics Laganvillage, are you sure you dont mean Jimmy feelty, instead of Cecil Feely? Do you remember the motor bike shop on the woodstock rd, many a saturday morming I would drool over those bikes. Ther was one I really liked, a 250 BSA starfire, 65, I was about 14 and hadnt got 10 bob, but dreams are dreams lol
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

Laganvillage

« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2011, 02:49:13 PM »

what agreat photo. i remember been at that bus stop waiting for a bus to the hollywood rd were some of my class at st augustines had work experance in a book shop ?! when half asleep the bus flys past and my class mates shouting waken up and laughing there heads of  :smile:

as for woodstock st. i alway found it strange it been named that and yet had nothing to do with the woodstock rd itself ?!  :unsure:

Woodstock St would just have been a continuation of the road, don't forget there was another row of buildings which stood on the open ground where the roundabout was. This formed numbers 2-18 Albertbridge Rd and part of Madrid St and Woodtock St. 20-22 Albertbridge was the Glen Bar facing the Primrose. Oddly enough Short Strand National School was on the Woodstock Rd this building later became a dancehall. Some of my own family lived in Madrid St just past Murray's shop.

Laganvillage

« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2011, 03:03:10 PM »
Great pics Laganvillage, are you sure you dont mean Jimmy feelty, instead of Cecil Feely? Do you remember the motor bike shop on the woodstock rd, many a saturday morming I would drool over those bikes. Ther was one I really liked, a 250 BSA starfire, 65, I was about 14 and hadnt got 10 bob, but dreams are dreams lol

We always knew him as Cecil Feeley (maybe my old memories going) anyway i thought he'd been dead donkeys years ago but he was interviewed some years back in a paper. Was the bike shop called Nelsons at the corner of Georges St? At the end it was run by two brothers who were like chalk and cheese. They had a fallout and the cheery one emigrated. While the other dour one continued the shop when it moved to the Raven due to the redevelopement (rape) of the area.

road hog

« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2011, 06:28:05 PM »
Lagan, Im surprised Jimmy Feelty is alive, and yes the bike shop was were you said. I remember the dour one,as you call him, coming outside to check on you when you were looking at the machines. Thanks for telling me their name
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

Laganvillage

« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2011, 09:18:27 PM »
Lagan, Im surprised Jimmy Feelty is alive, and yes the bike shop was were you said. I remember the dour one,as you call him, coming outside to check on you when you were looking at the machines. Thanks for telling me their name

Was in Linenhall Library today looking at there collection of street directories Jimmy Feeley is listed as a general dealer on Albertbridge Rd until about 1961 from when it is then listed under Cecil Feeley. Cecil may be dead now but he was interviewed in a paper about 10 years ago talking about the old Albert. The wee bookshop on the Mountpottinger was listed as R McCracken lending library in the early 60's.

spacetinker

« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2011, 06:18:40 PM »

Woodstock St would just have been a continuation of the road, don't forget there was another row of buildings which stood on the open ground where the roundabout was. This formed numbers 2-18 Albertbridge Rd and part of Madrid St and Woodtock St. 20-22 Albertbridge was the Glen Bar facing the Primrose. Oddly enough Short Strand National School was on the Woodstock Rd this building later became a dancehall. Some of my own family lived in Madrid St just past Murray's shop.

One more time.... :smile:

I always knew the wee toy shop as "Jimmy Feeley's" and it was indeed a great shopping road. "going up the Albert" was the expression we used at the bottom end.

Happy Trails

Tink

sophie9910

billh35

« Reply #159 on: April 18, 2011, 05:39:21 PM »
Anyone know the Malones from Thompson Street?

LeFrunk

« Reply #160 on: June 18, 2011, 07:55:10 PM »
Hello Micky bo , i remember standing watching you for hours doing your mural on the wall of Mrs Daltons shop Quinn st side , your right , it was the first mural round the district and i also remember the Irish news taking a photo of it . Then the years after that ALL the streets where doing the murals , ha ha ha , should have had a copy right .

mickybo

« Reply #161 on: June 18, 2011, 09:13:56 PM »
Hello Micky bo , i remember standing watching you for hours doing your mural on the wall of Mrs Daltons shop Quinn st side , your right , it was the first mural round the district and i also remember the Irish news taking a photo of it . Then the years after that ALL the streets where doing the murals , ha ha ha , should have had a copy right .
indeed lefrunk the quinn st mural, if only i drew it! some of the older ones were responsable, there is a wee thread about quinn st if u care to contribute, nice to here from folk from the old homestead!
Dont eat the yellow snow.

scully500

« Reply #162 on: August 29, 2011, 04:35:48 PM »
Well you  are very welcome for the memories ...this is Susan Mc Greevy.... what is your name ? they were great times

scully500

« Reply #163 on: August 29, 2011, 07:22:48 PM »

Aye Mickybo, I remember Liam, Anthony, Susan and Catherine they were all a wee bit older than me and lived further along the street. I've got a great photo of a street party in Chemical St with some of them in it, it was taken around 1975, I'll try & get one of the blokes in work to scan it onto the computer and post it onto the site. I also remember that Catherine and Susan along with Janet McCann used to organise & supervise us younger kids in the street games during the summer months, can't remember if they did it out a sense of duty to us wee ones or whether it was done out of boredom or some warped power trip! lol   :)

Whatever the intention it was great to know they took a genuine interest and looked after us like big sisters. 35 years later and they still invoke happy memories. Bless them all.
Oh my you are very welcome for the memories...this is susan mc greevy what is your name ?

« Reply #164 on: September 05, 2011, 10:42:07 PM »
i lived in cherryville street but I cannot for the life of me remember woodstock STREET.     can someone tell me was it right down the bottom just befor the albert bridge.    and please if anyone has pictures of cherryville st or  woodstock road I would love to see them