Author Topic: Woodstock Street  (Read 53572 times)

Moorfield Street

Re: Woodstock Street
« Reply #165 on: September 07, 2011, 05:45:55 AM »
There are photos on this Post.   Or in the search space at top right hand corner, type in Cherryville St.

strandguy

« Reply #166 on: November 14, 2011, 12:53:50 PM »
Woodstock st was just an extension of Woodstock Road. It ran past the junction with Albertbridge Road and then formed a jucntion with Thompson St

« Reply #167 on: November 14, 2011, 02:33:15 PM »
thanks for your reply.   I can see it all now in my minds eye..irene

BUFFALOBURGER

« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2012, 11:17:26 PM »

Here's the pic I promised nearly a year ago!!! FINALLY!

road hog

« Reply #169 on: May 18, 2012, 04:14:51 PM »
Chemical St buffalo, any idea what year?
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

BUFFALOBURGER

« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2012, 04:47:10 PM »
I'm guessing some time around 1970-1976

road hog

« Reply #171 on: May 18, 2012, 07:25:22 PM »
know some of the faces buffalo, but the names escape me, great photo
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

billh35

« Reply #172 on: September 13, 2012, 03:33:24 PM »
where did this pic come from?

scully500

« Reply #173 on: November 28, 2012, 10:20:44 PM »
thank you so much ...memories

Ainerua

« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2017, 09:56:44 PM »
Mary Quirk got married in the early 70s and headed to Canada where she still lives. She has been back a few times on visits and to see family etc - I remember the stabbing incident liske yesterday. The guy who did it was a driver for Coca Cola and he arrived (after work) at the shop one evening fairly tanked up. We think he mistook Mary for another girl that used to work in the shop. Something happened and he pulled a knife and he stabbed her. I remember hearing the screams and my father Eddie Eccles went out to see what happened. Anyway there was a chase along Thompson St and Eddie and a couple of other men caught him and brought him back. The police arrived and the guy eventually did time. Mary was very lucky. Eddie ended up with his picture in the Telegraph weighing apples or something! Seems like yesterday!
I know this was posted a long time ago but I too remember that day. I remember your Dad well, he was friends with my Dad, John Creaney (#8 Woodstock Street) and I remember Grainne sp?) sitting outside the shop.  Cassie didn't want anyone else near her...memories.  Unfortunately after Jimmy passed there are no Creaneys in the Short Strand/St. Matthew's left since the middle of the 1800's!

strandguy

« Reply #175 on: October 06, 2017, 10:50:49 PM »
I remember John Creaney well.....he was very involved with local boxing and St Mathews parish. Also remember his son Jimmy...he did some boxing too....use to see him now and again walking back across Queens bridge from time to time. I think that might even be a photo of him earlier in this chain of messages!

Ainerua

« Reply #176 on: October 07, 2017, 04:38:59 PM »
Hello Strandguy, thanks so much for responding.  Sadly Jimmy passed away in March 2016 so my connection with the Short Strand has been severed!  My brother Tommy still lives in Downpatrick, visited him while in Ireland during the summer.  He is 82 now and doing well except for some issues with his legs.

At Jimmy's funeral in St. Matthew's, Ella McMahon told me about the FB page "Friends of Short Strand" so I have been in touch with a few folks on that page.

Hope all is well in your life.  We are enjoying a beautiful "Indian" summer here in NY after 6 weeks of "iffy" weather in Ireland.  Take care.

citybloke

« Reply #177 on: October 08, 2017, 03:13:52 PM »
I remember John Creaney well.....he was very involved with local boxing and St Mathews parish. Also remember his son Jimmy...he did some boxing too....use to see him now and again walking back across Queens bridge from time to time. I think that might even be a photo of him earlier in this chain of messages!

I remember quite a few people from Woodstock Street. I remember Jimmy Creaney and his sister Ann- also remember Eddie Eccles' Shop at one end and John Murray's Shop at the other end - other names I remember were  Jim Grimshaw, Sammy Price, Butch & Tucker Morrow, Paul & Martin Fallon, Paddy Connolly, Margaret and Kate O'Donnell.
I don't suppose Woodstock Street exists anymore.

Ainerua

« Reply #178 on: October 08, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »
This Jimmy's sister, Anne.  Jimmy passed away last year and quite a few came to the funeral (Joe Grimshaw, the Morrows, Lawrence Rooney are some I remember).   I do remember all the other folk mentioned with great memories.  I've heard from John Murray on FB and I try to keep up with Friends of the Short Strand on FB.  Does anyone have any info on Sammy Price?  I think his cousin Eugene Turley lives here in Queens but I've never met him.   Have a great Sunday everyone!

citybloke

« Reply #179 on: October 08, 2017, 04:09:30 PM »
Hello Anne - Lost contact with Sammy Price in the late 1960's/ early 1970's when I moved to England. I remember Eugene, Gerard and Margaret Turley from Thompson Street.
Nice to speak to you.