Author Topic: Promoting N Ireland abroad  (Read 1715 times)

Hindcaster

Promoting N Ireland abroad
« on: March 17, 2007, 04:31:24 PM »
If you were promoting N Ireland as a tourist venue overseas what would be it's 5 most important features or areas that stand out as making it a place to come to??

giannineo

Re: Promoting N Ireland abroad
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 05:52:18 PM »
Hind,Jeepers, a difficult one.  so here goes but not in any given order.The scenery,so much in so small a space,catering(food and drink), friendly welcome,and "you'll wish you had found us  before now" message.
    Each heading to be bold and then the detail to follow.
      The Perthshire tourist motto used to be ....no day too long.
   Somehow ,without over emphasis, might be the need to reassure that visitors are safe and secure these days.

kat61

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 06:03:05 PM »
I think first and formost the coast road,  there is nowhere in the world as far as I am concerned that could beat that natural beauty.
2. new castle and the mournes and all the ammenities available to the tourist ie walking tours and silent valley.
3. promotion of the shopping in downtown belfast and the outskirts.  so much has changed over the years.
4.ulster folk museum and the history and historical sites in the down district.
5.need more promotion of entertainment and dining in the evening hours, as most people from my experience as tourists are unaware of where to go and yes the safety issue from a tourist perspective.   I think more public relations dollars should be spent in this area as it is just not out there, at least I did not see it when I was over and would not know where to go unless friends or relatives told me.

kat

Hindcaster

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 06:08:43 PM »
Personally I woulde like to see the city of Belfast promoted much more,even on our local media.Might give people here a bit more pride in the great city it was and should be.Agree too about safety and giving local "hot spots" of trouble a bit of press so making tourists more aware of them.

Mooncoin

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 06:10:51 PM »
Spot on Kat, the Antrim coast road  is spectacular up to the Giants cause way and Dunluce castle.

The Ulster American folk museum near Omagh is a cracking day out too.

Newcstle, the Mournes and Tollymore also the Peace Maze at Castlewellan forest park is a good day out for the kids.

Enniskillen, the Loughs and Fermangh Countryside offer nice relaxing days out, quite near the Tyrone Crystal Factory too.

Belfast City - if our politicians can pull it off on 26 March we are supposed to be getting a substantial treasury package towards regeneration.

Also a little hidden gem if you a history buff or like a quiet drive is Nendrum Monastic site out by Comber.  Sorry I know you said 5 but NI has a lot to offer :)

kat61

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 06:14:27 PM »
yes M, I too went to the site at comber, took some great photos, the history there is absorbing. 
Also on my visit in summer of 2005 I went for the first time to the marble arche caves. Spectacular!
I was surprised how many of my friends and family who live there have never been.

My kids loved it and so did I.  Recommend highly!!!!

kat

Hindcaster

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 06:15:30 PM »
I know Nendrum Abbey well and it is a lovely place to go on a summer's day.The drive alone round Strangford is amazingly beautiful. Giant's Ring is another spectacular place.Oh and Helen's Tower should be open to the public.It is full of works of poetry etched on brass plates and they cover the walls of one of the rooms.

Mooncoin

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 06:21:28 PM »
Hind, Helens Tower was open last year, I'm nearly sure it was for Lady Dufferins b'day (but don't quote me on that)  maybe it has an open day every year.

Kat, marblearch is fantastic isn't it, I haven't been for a few years but would love to go back.

I know Bundoran isn't NI but its a great resort for the beach if you are in the Enniskillen area its only about an hours drive out.  There is a funfair now at the beach too.

MAgeeka

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 06:30:22 PM »
I would have to state

The music scene in Belfast

Fishing which can hardly be beaten

Need more emphasis on historic sites

Lough Erne Beleek areas, including Enniskillen.

Proni which would be very attrative to those from the USA

Hindcaster

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 06:30:44 PM »
Yep it was open for a walking tour in the estate. I was in it many times as a child,my uncle was a woodsman in Clandeboye Estate.Lady Dufferin was using it as a studio for a while so maybe that is why it has never been open to the public on a regular basis.

Christopher

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 06:31:52 PM »
1.  The Fermanagh Lakeland
2.  The Antrim Coast Road
3.  The Glens of Antrim
4.  The Sperrins
5= The Historic City of Armagh  
5= The Historic History of Derry

I'd tell them all about Belfast too and tell them to join the Belfast Forum to get a taste of the place as well as enniskillen.com as that's all about Fermanagh and the Lakeland.

Happy St Patrick's Day everyone from your Roving Ambassador,

Christopher
( www.enniskillen.com Genealogy boards Moderator). 

I thought, since this thread was about promoting N. Ireland, I'd do my bit and promote the Lakelands. If any members have any photos taken in Co. Fermanagh I'm sure that the members of the Enniskillen site and visitors to that site would love to see them.

kat61

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 06:34:28 PM »
Another thing, over here in canada we have advertisements frequently lately for Ireland.  They include northern ireland in that also.
One big thing that appeals to many canadians is the portrayl of this advertisements with the real traditional irish music in the pub settings.
It is a huge appeal.  Yet when you go over, you wouldnt have a clue where to go to experience it.  I would love it also but I wouldnt have a clue either.  

kat

MAgeeka

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 06:46:09 PM »
Try Virgin records Kat ;)

Seriously have not a clue either where to go in Belfast for Trad.  I found a trendous amount in and around most areas of Donegal
Ah  hold on .  Chris will be along in a minute.

Mooncoin

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 06:46:27 PM »
Kat, I know exactly what you mean.  Friends of ours lived in Roscommon for a while near a little village called Keadue (way out in the sticks) the "local" was an extension on to a local farmers house,  the pub didn't open until about 9pm to let him get cleared up on the farm, the pub never really came alive until about 11pm when some neighours would dander in with their instruments and strike up a tune, I swear to god it was like something out of the quiet man.  It was a real taste of Ireland and I don't know where if any place you could experience here in the North.

Hindcaster

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 06:51:22 PM »
There are quite a few pubs here with diddleydee music on during the week. Donegall Avenue is one area and they sometimes have folk nights in the docks area. Check local press for details! The What's On magazine given away free at the airports has great listings of live entertainment. Fealty's in Bangor used to have a great folk night on a Thursday but I think that has ceased a good while ago.