Author Topic: Paris Bun  (Read 9121 times)

Bigali

Re: Paris Bun
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2020, 01:35:09 PM »
Paris Buns-have not seen one for years-we always got them from `The Breadserver`who called 3 times a week!!

I am sure they are still available in Home Bakeries somewhere in N.I. today.

jilly

My Dad was a breadman for Sunblest and on Saturday mornings after stocking the van up at the bakery for the big Saturday round he came back home at about 08:30/09:00 for the big Saturday family fry all made with fresh potato bread , sodas and pancakes fresh from the bakery and then as a treat us kids were allowed to go out to the van and pick a bun or pastry to have later , my brothers and sisters always went for the big cream buns but I always took a Paris Bun with its sparkling sugar crystals and had it later split in two and slathered thickly with good country butter  :nyam: :)
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

jillyfred

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2020, 11:44:35 AM »
My Dad was a breadman for Sunblest and on Saturday mornings after stocking the van up at the bakery for the big Saturday round he came back home at about 08:30/09:00 for the big Saturday family fry all made with fresh potato bread , sodas and pancakes fresh from the bakery and then as a treat us kids were allowed to go out to the van and pick a bun or pastry to have later , my brothers and sisters always went for the big cream buns but I always took a Paris Bun with its sparkling sugar crystals and had it later split in two and slathered thickly with good country butter  :nyam: :)
===
Ali -Saturday mornings when I was allowed to go and pick a bun from Bob`s big wooden tray which he pulled out and lifted me up to see all those buns-that memory stays with me to this day!

jilly x

pete57

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2020, 11:40:45 PM »
===
Ali -Saturday mornings when I was allowed to go and pick a bun from Bob`s big wooden tray which he pulled out and lifted me up to see all those buns-that memory stays with me to this day!

jilly x
I always ended up with the ' flies graveyard ' .. i think i was the black sheep of the family ...   ;) :)

oilyrag

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2020, 01:38:17 PM »
custard tarts weren't fresh unless there was a wasp swimming in the soft bits. :P

so drunk to hell I left the place , sometimes crawling sometimes walking

jillyfred

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2020, 01:29:41 PM »
Fresh Cream Custard Tarts-Manna from Heaven.

Bought them in Inglis`s shop in Castle Lane if memory serves me right!!

jilly

Mondo

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2021, 04:07:13 AM »
Was put off Paris buns for life when I went along with my Granny to a money lenders house in Albert St in the early seventies. The money lender in question was and old woman with warts that had hairs growing from them. During the financial negotiations that too place in her parlour a tea break was called. I watched transfixed in gastronomic horror as the old woman consumed a Paris Bun with no teeth,  slurping mouthfuls of tea to soften the the crumbling bun on her gums! Never had one since!

Bread Basket

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2021, 11:33:07 AM »
Was put off Paris buns for life when I went along with my Granny to a money lenders house in Albert St in the early seventies. The money lender in question was and old woman with warts that had hairs growing from them. During the financial negotiations that too place in her parlour a tea break was called. I watched transfixed in gastronomic horror as the old woman consumed a Paris Bun with no teeth,  slurping mouthfuls of tea to soften the the crumbling bun on her gums! Never had one since!

Did she take a wee pinch of snuff?

Mondo

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2021, 02:35:43 PM »
More than likely Bread basket. are you familiar with the woman in question?

Bread Basket

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2021, 02:44:16 PM »
More than likely Bread basket. are you familiar with the woman in question?

No, not directly but heard the stories.

syriana

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2021, 05:34:27 PM »
It's a warning not to French kiss someone who has just eaten a Paris Bun  :D
No answer is an answer.

pete57

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2021, 12:35:31 AM »
maybe so .. but how often did you return to the house on Albert st ..and did you eventually marry ?    ;) :)

Dub

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2021, 05:10:42 PM »
Fresh Cream Custard Tarts-Manna from Heaven.

Bought them in Inglis`s shop in Castle Lane if memory serves me right!!

jilly
     Jilly I made thousands of custard tarts and Paris buns when I was an apprentice baker in Inglis in the early sixties. The Paris buns were topped with nibbed sugar ( large sugar crystals ). Great memories.
                                                                                All the best, Dub.
If you don't read the papers,you are not informed.
When you do read the papers, you are misinformed.  ( Mark Twain. )

Mondo

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2021, 06:00:29 PM »
It's a warning not to French kiss someone who has just eaten a Paris Bun  :D
Yeah Syriana, that was known as a Paris tongue!

henrycluney

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2021, 10:22:58 PM »
My mammy worked in Inglis in Castle Lane so had them whenever...I miss Paris buns!
Mon Norn Iron!!

Cu Uladh

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2021, 08:44:45 PM »
Made them in a couple of home bakeries in Belfast a long time ago. Havenít made them in years... now youíve got me thinking... Iíll do them again. Yippee!!