Author Topic: Belfast boundry  (Read 6583 times)

REP1

Re: Belfast boundry
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2010, 01:20:45 AM »
The town of Antrim has a council, but doesn't cover the whole county, all the other biggish towns have their own. I don't think there is a county council.
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

road hog

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2010, 07:33:44 AM »
This issue gets me really angry.  I live in Dundonald and my post code says Belfast, County Antrim.

!. County Down runs up to the east bank of the Lagan always has and always will
2. I live in Dundonald, NOT Belfast
3. While from the unionist side of the community I have always taken a certain pride when Down are doing well in the GAA.  I like to brag in work when the Armagh and Tyrone guys get going.

While I have no problem with people from Antrim (apart from the fact that they can't plat Gaelic Football) I want to keep my identity.  No matter how many times the [censored] on the phone tells me my postcode is Antrim I will always be a Down man.Good on you speedwobble. although I was born in down and played gaa football for a Down club,I moved to Co Armagh after I was married and continued to play football, but this time for a lurgan club, so I am now an adopted Armagh man. When ever you Down men are boasting about how many all Irelands you have, my answer to that is between us (Armagh ) and kerry, we have 37 :D
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

hicky

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2010, 11:18:32 PM »
         Sorry  posters i started this post thinking it would have a clear answer
          and nobody  has given a definative answer yet

REP1

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2010, 11:46:13 PM »
hicky. I think you email that question to the Talk Back team Radio Ulster. they may even get someone on to talk about it. its one we all would like to know the result of.
Would be good craic?
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

ned

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2010, 04:43:30 PM »
I was born on the Mountpottinger Rd which was in Co Down.  :smile:
Be careful out there folks because they aren't.

Kraffy

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2010, 10:49:04 PM »
I think you will find that Belfast Metro Area has it's own city boundary. Outside that boundary is Antrim & Down. The lagan is the boundary of the 2 counties OUTSIDE the Belfast area. It cant possibly be inside another jurisdiction.

tinaamdg

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2020, 07:12:35 AM »
  I am sure when i ask this question there will be those who know the answer and
    are amazed at those who dont know the answer especially when it is the city
   we live in  Q  where is the broundary between Belfast co Antrim &
                                              Belfast,co Down ??

This may be a bit political sounding, but my friend, who is an older resident who grew up in the Markets and later lived in Dublin for many years, says the historical and PROPER way to put the postal address was to put the actual address, ie Down if over that boundary, whether in Belfast or not.  So some addresses should say Belfast, Co Down, and some Belfast, Co Antrim.  She says there was an agreement for the post office to keep respecting the way the country did it

Kraffy

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2020, 08:39:28 AM »
I was born there in 1942 and it was always Belfast, N.I. postal address,  before the postcodes came in. Then after that my address at Castlereagh was Belfast 6, when the early codes came in.  Down or Antrim was never mentioned. I was also taught in school that Down or Antrim were never part of Belfast or vice verca except before Belfast was founded and local governments came in.  If one lives in Belfast you dont pay rates to Antrim or Down councils do you?

getzls

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2020, 07:37:46 AM »
Grays Lane on the Shore Road.
One side is Belfast BT15 and the other side is Newtownabbey BT36 so to me that is were Belfast ends and Newtownabbey begins.
As someone born in the independent state of Newtownabbey ( not North Belfast and never will be ) we claim it from there.