Author Topic: St James Road  (Read 14791 times)

mona lisa

Re: St James Road
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2013, 04:39:05 PM »
celtdumm so did i .so do i know you

celtdunm

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2013, 05:20:44 PM »
Don't know. I've pm you.

Belfasthen

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2013, 03:44:52 PM »
My Great Gran's house was at the bottom of St James RD the family name was Flynn, my gran lived there and my sister and I were there most weekends. I wanted to transfer to the school cause I like the brown and yellow uniform. I remember the Kelly's, and Roonies, and Mrs Young who used to live next door. I remember the sweet shop in the street behind.  :)  miss those days even though some were tough with the troubles

eros

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2013, 03:50:50 PM »
belfasthen, I lived just 3 doors up from the Flynn's   young's ,mcavoy then us  Flanagan   the Gribbons were the last house in that row  Eros
Lest we Forget

Dommo

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2013, 07:22:40 PM »
Any of my old neighbours out there? We lived at No 139
I am from la sale,but I likely delivered your newspaper!
if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

celtdunm

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2013, 07:34:53 PM »
177 Flanigans, 179 McEvoys, 181 Youngs

Belfasthen

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2013, 06:38:28 AM »
that's the name I could not remember tks Eros I am Noreen Coleman nee yellop Julie and I were there most weekends Maureen Flynn was my grandma Eileen was her daughter . Mrs Gibbons used to have a sowing room under the stairs. Mr Gibbons used to creep me out he was so quiet. I miss home and the old days so much

mona lisa

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2013, 04:30:40 PM »
i went to school with mary gribben they were a quiet family and kept very much to themselves.

toon army

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2013, 05:44:41 PM »
belfasthen, I lived just 3 doors up from the Flynn's   young's ,mcavoy then us  Flanagan   the Gribbons were the last house in that row  Eros
                                      belfasthen,that wee shop would have been Vinty Boyles in St Kats RD.There were 4 shops in the St James area,Mrs Leasons next to the school gates,Jacks by the enterance to the match factory and Jims next to the tie factory.Went many a time to Vintys to get 2oz of hard cheese for my da's piece :)

eros

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2013, 06:04:43 PM »
the shop beside the tie factory used to belong to an old dear  (can't remember her name ) but we used to wrap a halfpenny in silver parer from a chocolate bar and pass it on as a shilling  she had very bad eyesight  and I used to chum around with Tom as pointed out they were a very quiet but lovely  family Eros  :)
Lest we Forget

toon army

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2013, 06:24:51 PM »
the shop beside the tie factory used to belong to an old dear  (can't remember her name ) but we used to wrap a halfpenny in silver parer from a chocolate bar and pass it on as a shilling  she had very bad eyesight  and I used to chum around with Tom as pointed out they were a very quiet but lovely  family Eros  :)
                                        Sorry eros it wasnt Jims it was John Dorans shop,this was in the 60s.I cant remember the ol dear but wouldnt have tried that with John.A Dan Trainor took over Mrs Leasons shop and he used to give you 3d for a farthing.  .happy days.

eros

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2013, 09:48:57 PM »
toon army would that be Leesons   I do remember those people but I left before the Leesons give up the shop  and John Doran used to sell the cigs loose he caught me pinching a ciggy one night gave me a slap  I never told my parents  but it stopped pinching  for ever  :D Eros
Lest we Forget

toon army

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2013, 04:39:05 PM »
toon army would that be Leesons   I do remember those people but I left before the Leesons give up the shop  and John Doran used to sell the cigs loose he caught me pinching a ciggy one night gave me a slap  I never told my parents  but it stopped pinching  for ever  :D Eros
                                                          Yes eros it was the Leesons,Dan worked for Mrs Leeson then took over the shop I think he was a relative.Know what you mean,you didnt mess with john but a really decent man.

limbo

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2013, 10:54:22 PM »
we lived in 169 our nxt door next door was kellys 167 and huddleston 171

doare.

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2013, 01:09:29 AM »
I knew john doran in the 70s early eighties, a good man, is he still around?, anyone remember the murals on the walls of the match factory( mc kenna & mcginleys in side them ) watched the students paint them, tha was when I worked for mc ginleys.

"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..