Author Topic: St James Road  (Read 14798 times)

chesterroad

Re: St James Road
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2013, 05:15:30 AM »
My aunt Patricia and uncle Paddy O'Callaghan lived at number 44 St James Road all their married life.They both have passed away.

limbo

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2013, 10:50:37 AM »
john doran owned the shop on the donegall rd. i remember the murals. greyhound men on it

toon army

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2013, 05:19:17 PM »
john doran owned the shop on the donegall rd. i remember the murals. greyhound men on it
                                                                      Hi limbo,welcome to the forum.Was that Terence and Kevin Kelly you lived next door to?.

doare.

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2013, 04:46:15 AM »
hi, I knew the 2 guys that painted those, they used my face on one of the guys with the greyhound on a leish, lol,, they were identical twins from the art college in York st , nice guys, they would come into mc ginleys and have tea breaks with the workers.i knew john fairly well in those days, there was a club in that spot beside johns shop, we used to deliver booze into it.

"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

Belfasthen

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2013, 11:53:58 AM »
I used to have a major crush on Gerard Kelly :-*

twinnyted

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2013, 02:08:03 AM »
Any of my old neighbours out there? We lived at No 139
Hi, I used to live in 163. We were the "Maguires" I'm a twin. Lindsays were next door, then the Kellys. You must live very close to the logans and the Morgans!! I live in Canada. How are things in the old homestead. I still miss St.James's very much. Your name is!!!

twinnyted

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2013, 02:26:30 AM »
There were two lindsays familys in st.James's rd. one lived at 169 and the other @ 165 with the Kellys  between them @ 167. I lived @ 163 next to the Lindsays. I miss St. James's rd. very much.  I knew most of all in the lower end. I was a twin. my name was Maguire.Most of the Dawsons went to Americs. they lived at159. John Gurly who lived with the Mccrystals just died two weeks ago. (r.i.p.) if anyone knew of him

eros

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2013, 09:22:18 AM »
twinnyted, I ran about with some of the Dawsons and Manuel McCrystal,when I lived there  I lived at 177
and welcome to the forum    Eros aka Emmanuel Flanagan
Lest we Forget

Tipperdarby

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2013, 09:15:57 PM »
Thanks Tipperdarby, I have 4 sisters living in Hamilton, Canada. Colette would know them all, Anne, Renee, Phyllis & Patricia. I think Renee was the main one she shummed around with.
I hope you see this post Jnr. I spoke to Colette today and she was thrilled to hear I had been in touch with you. She said it was Phyllis she chummed around with the most. She said to tell you that Brian Gray lives around the corner from her in Ladybrook. She's not that well at the moment but she's a real trooper. I don't know if you remember, she was very ill in 1965 and had a lung removed. She has been getting a lot of chest infections this past year and is very breathless, she can't even go out these days. However we had a long chat today and she said I cheered her up so that was good :)

geri d

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2015, 03:38:21 AM »
I remember Margaret Taggart, Margaret Doyle, Bernadette Burns, Marie Dawson, Margaret McGuiness, Geraldine Donnelly, all from St James Road Lily Brennan Lily Goodall and Perpetual Carleton  from the Crescent, Ann Lenagan, Mary Cahil from the Gardens, Teresa Branagh, Kathleen Boyle from St Katherines Road, to name a few. I was in the same class as most of them. I lived in the Place, and then at 65a St James's Road when I got married, next to Dan's shop (originally Leesons) I worked in it too when Roy was the owner. Sadly he was electrocuted  Breige Janet and Irene Jenkins Florence + Brenda Perry Dolores Donaghy Bernie Dolan were my neighbours and great friends growing up as were many of those I have mentioned. Ann Maguire Frankie Burns Julia Donnelly, Margaret Kelly were from the Parade. Kathleen O Callaghan lived at the top of St James Road, also my chums.  All great people, some sadly deceased. I wonder where they all are now. Funny I can remember so many of my friends growing up and yet I forget the names of folk I have worked with in later years. Well I hope to get some response, in the meantime. Slainte.

eros

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2015, 11:47:48 AM »
St James's road at one time was a great place to live ,not sure what it is like now.  Eros :-\

I used to see Mary Cahil  in Antrim haven't see her in a while ;)
Lest we Forget

GandT

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2015, 07:48:33 PM »
St James's road at one time was a great place to live ,not sure what it is like now.  Eros :-\

Not sure what it is like to live there now but sadly have been to a couple of funerals there very recently. Looks the same as always but, as with all things, the memories of youth are not always to be matched by present reality. The streets look smaller than I remembered, St James's Park is not so like Arcadia as I recalled and the surrounds of Celtic Park are long gone.  One of the funerals took place on a sunny day and another on a miserable rainy day - the appearance of the place was in sympathy with the mood of the weather. The people I met though were the same decent people they were long ago!

stiofan

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2015, 12:31:36 AM »
Not directly on topic. My father grew up in St James's (not sure which street) until the whole family moved to Castleton Gardens in the early 1940s. His sister, Maire, married Frankie Ellis and, as far as I know, they still live in St James's - Gardens or Crescent, I think.

Dommo

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2015, 12:38:54 AM »
Not directly on topic. My father grew up in St James's (not sure which street) until the whole family moved to Castleton Gardens in the early 1940s. His sister, Maire, married Frankie Ellis and, as far as I know, they still live in St James's - Gardens or Crescent, I think.
i knew a wee boy back in the 60's, Mickey Ellis from around there
if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

geri d

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2015, 01:20:09 AM »
Yes Rep 1 I know the Jenkins Family well, they were my old neighbours and I chummed about with them and am still in touch. Which of them do you know?