Author Topic: Move to Belfast  (Read 13794 times)

France

Move to Belfast
« on: February 10, 2010, 08:48:31 AM »
Hi, I'm living in Galway and wish to move to Belfast city. Could anyone tell me about how primary schools work (free or not) , the cost of living etc…
Thanks a lot

victor1

Re: Move to Belfast
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 08:52:36 AM »
Why would anyone leave a wonderful city like Galway to live ib Belfast, if I could persuade my wife I would gladly swop places with you !

France

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:02:43 AM »
Well… Let's say Galway is a bit far away from everything that interests me ! A family place, for sure ! But since you are still in Belfast, would you tell me more about the city and why would you would like to leave it ?

victor1

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 10:36:43 AM »
Well… Let's say Galway is a bit far away from everything that interests me ! A family place, for sure ! But since you are still in Belfast, would you tell me more about the city and why would you would like to leave it ?

Well were to start lol

Ok lets start with the obvious, the hatred/bigotry and racism, Belast is riddled with all three, leading to problems to visitors/foriegners and locals alike, usually violent in nature.

The troubles/conflict/war...to coin a phrase "haven't gone away ya know" they are on the back burner waiting for the spark ! Although not just a Belfast thing, it is however not the place to be if it all kicks off again !

Employment. .What employment ? The unemployment figure are increasing daily, almost all industry in Belfast has been decimated, finding a job in Belfast is becoming near impossible, on top of that if you are lucky enough to find a suitable job, you'll be surprised at the take home pay at the end of the week as the wage structure in Blefast or the North is atrocious !

Housing...apart from your problem of finding a suitable home in Belfast, house prices here have gone beyond the pale, I can give you an example here, I bought my own home in Belfast in 1999 a three bedroom terraced, it's current value just over 10 yrs later 180 thousand, thats crazy !

My son spent the last 4yrs  studying at Galway university, he is home now having graduated with top grades in History...he currently works as a bar man in a night club 6 nights a week, trying to save enough money to get the hell out of this place, and who can blame him ! His degree has had no impact on getting him a decent job here, there isn't any !

Give your decision on moving some considerable thought, but for me as a born and bred Belfastman....look elsewhere !

France

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 11:57:38 AM »
Oh oh oh… that's sounds like a nightmare !!!
Galway is a fine city, specially for students, but life is very very expensive. I pay €860 for a tiny 2 beds apartment not even in the center and the social life is…poor.
I hesitate between Belfast and Dublin, Dublin is very very very expensive though. I went once to Belfast, i just fell in love with the architecture, the accent and found people funny and welcoming. Also, I just love the Northern Irish cinema and this is my field. But, as you can see with my name, i'm french and will give a second thought to my project, following your advice.
My grand parents were from Northern Ireland (Devlin), this is why….  :smile:

I think racism is everywhere, in Galway too that recently discovered Polish and black people. Or so they say and complain, the immigrant I mean… And recession strikes everywhere…
But I do believe you the "drowsy" war/conflict, and you just answered a question I had in my mind, as this matter interests me a lot. My genetical heritage, perhaps…

I think I should come and spend a few days in Belfast before making up my mind.

What about the school system ? Is the National Curriculum good? And is it free ?, because here it is very good and free…

Thank you for this chat

David (Joe) Martin

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 12:05:54 PM »
Victor stop beating about the bush and being a sweety mouth, say what you really mean.  Seriously Victor I was hoping that things were on the mend as I am making a trip home for the first time.  I left the second time for Australia in 1970 and never regretted it for a minute possibly for all the reasons you mentioned.
 :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

France

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 12:18:25 PM »
 :scratch_ones_head:

victor1

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 12:54:40 PM »
Victor stop beating about the bush and being a sweety mouth, say what you really mean.  Seriously Victor I was hoping that things were on the mend as I am making a trip home for the first time.  I left the second time for Australia in 1970 and never regretted it for a minute possibly for all the reasons you mentioned.
 :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

On the mend David, more like hidden beneath the surface, I hope and pray I am wrong, but the conflict is not ever it is in temporary suspension, my brother went to Australia around 10 yrs ago, he recently intimated to me that he was coming home, I persuaded him to rethink, nothing has changed here in terms of the mindset, all the old bigotry is simmering and as I said earlier, it is just awaiting the spark...July maybe ?

David (Joe) Martin

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 11:20:23 PM »
Sad to hear Victor as I have been planning the trip for a few years.  I am looking at August so if what you assume might happen I will have to stay away from Belfast and that will be a shame.  If you were at Botanic at the same time as me you may know Marilyn Martin, Rae Mehaffy and Emily Donald. I have been it contact with them plus some others from the Maritime & Jazz Club and I was looking forward to catching up with them.  Keep well.     :cray:

Giannineo

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 09:07:51 AM »
david joe,I go over about twice a year.....no problems and you would be straining to see any security forces on the street.....I would avoid the July time , not for the marching /potential trouble...just for the disruption caused by the hols..I often go in  June or May...don't be put off....you will only find trouble if you go looking for it.

McNamee

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 01:22:38 PM »
David Come on ahead, this is a great wee country.  You will enjoy your stay here.  We may even arrange a night in the Crown.   :good: :good:

bobdenn

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 07:42:21 PM »
David Come on ahead, this is a great wee country.  You will enjoy your stay here. We may even arrange a night in the Crown.   :good: :good:

[censored]...

:D

BigAgiesMan

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 09:23:35 PM »
Well were to start lol

Ok lets start with the obvious, the hatred/bigotry and racism, Belast is riddled with all three, leading to problems to visitors/foriegners and locals alike, usually violent in nature.

The troubles/conflict/war...to coin a phrase "haven't gone away ya know" they are on the back burner waiting for the spark ! Although not just a Belfast thing, it is however not the place to be if it all kicks off again !

Employment. .What employment ? The unemployment figure are increasing daily, almost all industry in Belfast has been decimated, finding a job in Belfast is becoming near impossible, on top of that if you are lucky enough to find a suitable job, you'll be surprised at the take home pay at the end of the week as the wage structure in Blefast or the North is atrocious !

Housing...apart from your problem of finding a suitable home in Belfast, house prices here have gone beyond the pale, I can give you an example here, I bought my own home in Belfast in 1999 a three bedroom terraced, it's current value just over 10 yrs later 180 thousand, thats crazy !

My son spent the last 4yrs  studying at Galway university, he is home now having graduated with top grades in History...he currently works as a bar man in a night club 6 nights a week, trying to save enough money to get the hell out of this place, and who can blame him ! His degree has had no impact on getting him a decent job here, there isn't any !

Give your decision on moving some considerable thought, but for me as a born and bred Belfastman....look elsewhere !

What a load of nonsense. You ever been outside Belfast?
Bord na Móna

Giannineo

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 10:54:43 PM »
"look elsewhere"..is that what you have done Viccie boy?    do you practice what you preach? ;) :D :air_kiss: :air_kiss:

victor1

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 07:28:21 AM »
"look elsewhere"..is that what you have done Viccie boy?    do you practice what you preach? ;) :D :air_kiss: :air_kiss:

If you had cared to read my first post you would have found your answer Gi I would be out of this dump in the morning if I could persuade my wife to do likewise !