Author Topic: United Ireland.  (Read 11216 times)

Biffo

United Ireland.
« on: February 11, 2010, 06:01:44 PM »
Do you think there will be a United Ireland inside the next hundred years ?    And, if so, who would benefit more - the North or the South ?

Loiste na mona

Re: United Ireland.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 06:04:27 PM »
Do you think there will be a United Ireland inside the next hundred years ?    And, if so, who would benefit more - the North or the South ?
Yes, everyone

EllCee

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 06:13:12 PM »
"Do you think there will be a United Ireland inside the next hundred years ?"

How do you mean "united"?  Politically, economically or personally/emotionally?

The EU will probably unite the island economically, which will be before there is political union, which will be long before there is personal/emotional unity.

Within 100 years?  Probably.

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

madness

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 06:32:45 PM »
yes, but not in the next hundred years. I see it in 6 years. That way it will be a British goverments present to Sinn Fein for the celebration of the 1916 rising

EllCee

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 06:36:30 PM »
yes, but not in the next hundred years. I see it in 6 years. That way it will be a British goverments present to Sinn Fein for the celebration of the 1916 rising

LOL

:smile: :party:
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

carbolicsoap

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 06:40:22 PM »
Northern Ireland would bankrupt the ROI.Something like 30% of the workforce is employed in the public sector.If the British government pulls out,who would employ all those people?

A united Ireland?...no chance.
The south don't want us anyway...we're too much trouble.

EllCee

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 06:43:08 PM »
The south don't want us anyway...we're too much trouble.

Hey, speak fer yerself, mate  .  :comando: :angel: ;)

Marye

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 06:43:44 PM »

Gerry said by 2016 but Marty is more optimistic, he reckons there will be a UI by 2014.

Under the GFA the Union is more secure.  That is why the UDA and UVF gave up their weapons.

EllCee

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 06:46:41 PM »

Gerry said by 2016 but Marty is more optimistic, he reckons there will be a UI by 2014.

Is that unity of the people on the island, or another sort of unity?  Economic unity/amalgamation through the EU, for example.

Does anyone really think that the people of North and South will be as one, i.e. united, in four to six years?

::)

pussy-galore

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 06:48:03 PM »
Yes, everyone

Hi LM  :D  I wonder could you tell me in what way having a "United Ireland" would benefit the average Joe?  :scratch_ones_head: :smile:

Jim B

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 06:50:25 PM »
After years of wanting to see a unified Ireland, I now  seriously ask myself, what is best for my kids, grandkids ? Who Can convince me of the betterment for their sakes ? The days of thinking with your heart rather than your head are for me, finished. To coin a phrase from John Hume "we can't eat flags " Borders are slowly but surely diminishing all around Europe. It is my believe, cultures and identities should and shall remain. No matter what, I am Irish, no matter where I go, I will always be Irish.
My battery was dead...

pussy-galore

• Account Closed
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 06:52:41 PM »
After years of wanting to see a unified Ireland, I now  seriously ask myself, what is best for my kids, grandkids ? Who Can convince me of the betterment for their sakes ? The days of thinking with your heart rather than your head are for me, finished. To coin a phrase from John Hume "we can't eat flags " Borders are slowly but surely diminishing all around Europe. It is my believe, cultures and identities should and shall remain. No matter what, I am Irish, no matter where I go, I will always be Irish.

:clapping:

bobdenn

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 07:15:16 PM »

There are no borders worth talking about and no matter where you live on the island of Ireland, we are all fellow Europeans being ruled by Brussels.

:scratch_ones_head:

delane

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 07:25:10 PM »
my granny said many times, it should have been done a 110,years, ago..as england wanted the docks, for herself?..cheers,..delane.
the older you get the worse you get..

BigAgiesMan

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 08:03:49 PM »
Currently the Dail has 166 members. If the north joined then it would have to increase by about 65 members, Suppose 60% were 'unionist', ie 40. It could well be that these 40 could hold the balance of power in elections for ever, given that nowadays there is usually a coalition government. Think of the ramifications of that  :swoon: . And of course there are the little matters of the huge public sector in Ulster, the numbers on DLA, the harmonisation of incomes, the health service/PSI. I can go on forever.... You really think the government of the ROI want all that?  :D . Bring it on  :good:
Bord na Móna