Author Topic: Street Directories.  (Read 330616 times)

polly

Re: Street Directories.
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2006, 02:31:58 AM »
Thank you Chris.   I appreciate the help.   Polly :)

Christopher

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2006, 01:40:34 PM »

moreland

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2006, 12:40:35 PM »
Hi Christopher,
Do you have a directory for 1930?
If so can you tell me if sydney street west is close to cranbrook gardens?
I think i may have found my great granddad Albert Moreland on the 1901 and 1911 census, he lived at sydney street west on both census although they must have moved in between as the house numbers differ (8 and 24) if it's my great granddad then i have also found my GG/granddad and my great aunts and uncles!!
The reason i ask is that my granddad grew up in cranbrook gardens in ardoyne and i wondered if the 2 streets were near!! I know it's a long shot but i don't want to pay for records of Albert Moreland if it's not him, i just would like a little more info before i decide to pay for birth and marriage records!! if i pay and it's not him at least i did enough research first to justify the fee's.
Let me know
Thanks
Stuart Moreland

Christopher

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2006, 05:41:47 PM »
Hello Stuart,

There's a list on the first page of this thread showing who has which directory. Sydney Street West runs between Snugville St and Cambrai Street somwhere between the Shankill and Crumlin Road. Ardoyne is off
the Crumlin Road which runs from Carlisle Circus to Ligoniel.

Chris 

independentsoul

Re: Street Directories. -MARYLENNON
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2006, 04:24:49 AM »
Hi- Marylennon,

would you look up in the 1923 and 1925 directories for Holywood Rd?  Last name would be Agnew.  May also be under the Ashfield Dairy. Thank you.

Dawn
Searching Surnames: Maternal side: Agnew, Campbell, Taylor, Thompson, Hutchinson, O'Neill.    Paternal side: Muller, Engelmann, Marshall, Corkran, Rev

Christopher

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2006, 02:15:21 AM »
Oh Mary you will be able to find out where her grave is in Milltown since you have a death and burial date  ;D I wonder if there is anyone else in the grave i found my grt grandmothers grave and there were 7 in it all together it cost me 15 to get it all typed out but i tell you i got a shock and a few surprises in it.

aint that right Christopher?

;D

Colette

You're always full of surprises, Colette :)

MaryLennon

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2006, 11:06:23 AM »
 :'( oops i missed these, sorry people, send me an email and I'll get to any look-ups asap, have had a crazy summer (visitor-wise) but back to normal now (whatever normal is in this house)
[email protected]
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk

Could someone please look up Methuen Street in 1890 for me (if its there) as its name changed to Methuen Street from Holywood Street and I'm not sure when it changed.
Garyo found that out for me in another thread.
If its still Holywood Street, would you check No. 33?
Looking for a McCann
many thanks in advance

bern

Ashe /Ashe belfast
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2006, 10:42:29 PM »
could anyone help with my search im looking for information on my g.grandmother eliabeth ash who i believe lived in hamill street i cant find any info in the west belfast census1911 on that street

ashe

MaryLennon

Ash / Ashe Belfast
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2006, 10:50:02 PM »
No Ash's in 1910 bern in Hamill Street, Ash's in alpha listing are
Ash, Robert, coachman, 74 Belmont Avenue
Ash, Thomas, bricklayer, 91 Louisa Street
Ash, William, grocer, 4 Huchinson Street
Ashe, Alex., store keeper, 29 Francis Street
Ashe, C. W. & Son., civil engineers, 7 Waring Street, res., C. W. Ashe, 183 Templemore Avenue
Ashe, R. J., foreman, 34 Ballymena Street
Ashe, William, carpenter, 12 Dundee Street

bern

Ashe /Ashe belfast
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2006, 11:06:29 PM »
Thanks for the help mary my g.granda was called alexander ashe his wife was ellen or elizabeth i think they were married in 1899 I found an elizabeth ashe when doing a grave search and she lived at 48 hamill street at the time of her death in 1920 . bernie

Christopher

Ash/Ashe Belfast
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2006, 11:13:05 PM »
Mary do you mean no Ashs born ??? You give a list of Ashs who lived in various streets but I'm wondering what source you used so that you were able to say "no Ashs born" I suppose bern's great grandmother could have been living at Hamill Street in a property where someone with a different surname was the head of the household. I'm wondering, since using street directories can provide information about the length of time a family lived in a house once you find them in a specific house and street, how we can use them for people who know their ancestors lived at a specific address but who do not appear in the directory. This seems to happen on many occasions. Would it be an idea to show all the residents in that street or would it be a better idea to ask the person to take a careful look at the Christian names to see if one of them looked like a surname and then have another look at the directory?

MaryLennon

Agnew
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2006, 11:22:36 PM »
Holywood Road
Sandymount
195. Agnew, Wm., waggon builder.  also 1925
211. Agnew, Hugh, builder & contractor   also 1925
Ashfield Cottage
397. Agnew, James, dairyman   also 1925

Mary

MaryLennon

Ash / Ashe Belfast
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2006, 11:29:16 PM »
 silly ;D bad punctuation on my part, No Ash's, Bern, etc etc
I should have said Bern. ..there are no Ash's in Hamill Street in the 1910 Street Directory.

Bern.   ::) I also checked the 1919 and 1923, sorry none there either, unless she was living with relatives at the time of her death, any other names I might look for?

Christopher

Agnew Family - Ashfield Dairies
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2006, 11:30:14 PM »
Holywood Road
Sandymount
195. Agnew, Wm., waggon builder.  also 1925
211. Agnew, Hugh, builder & contractor   also 1925
Ashfield Cottage
397. Agnew, James, dairyman   also 1925

Mary

Hiya Mary,

That's great information :D Are you about to post it on the Ashfield Dairy thread ???

Chris

MaryLennon

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2006, 11:32:36 PM »
Well I will now that I know there is one or are you yanking my leash  :P