Author Topic: The Bone  (Read 165170 times)

breandan

The Bone
« on: March 23, 2007, 07:58:02 PM »
Hello all - my first post here so bear with me  ;)I am looking for information on an area in Belfast called the Bone. Can anyone help out? I can't seem to find anything online. Thanks  :)

MAgeeka

Re: The Bone
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 08:13:29 PM »
I think the bone is the Oldpark area but it has been so long

breandan

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 08:18:13 PM »
Thanks - are you from there? The Oldpark is a big area is it not?

Dylan

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 09:17:01 PM »
My older brother used to take me to the 'Bone' to watch football matches on a Sunday night (may have the day wrong) on [censored] pitches. We travelled across the city from east Belfast. This would've been in the mid 60s, I still remember stopping at the shops at Ardoyne to get sweets (well I was about 10 yrs old). I know an elderly Linfield supporter who now resides in Australlia who always goes on about the 'Bone' and another area called the 'Hammer', perhaps the latter was on or near the Shankill, I'm honestly not sure. Yet I do recall watching guys playing football in an area within Ardoyne (almost certain it wasn't in Oldpark, yet of course could be wrong) called the 'Bone'.

Positively 4th Street.
Desolation Row.
Highway 61.

breandan

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 09:45:01 PM »
So it was somewhere between the Oldpark and Ardoyne. It's a curious name - where did the name come from? Looking at the map, the Oldpark is in Ardoyne ???

MAgeeka

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 01:40:24 AM »
I am from the Falls breandon   Moved to London.   Tthen lived in N.Jersey then  NYC
Moved up north to the Hudson valley and fonally down to n.C.

quarefella

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 08:03:27 AM »
On the Oldpark road, roughly opposite the old cinema there was a large area of rough wasteland with a football pitch on it. The whole area was called the Bone, and the nearby streets on the Oldpark were said to be in the Bone, but I am not sure if that would be strictly true. The streets beyond the football pitch were definetely part of Ardoyne and if you were going to a football match via Ardoyne it would be easy to think that the Bone was in Ardoyne, I suppose it depends where you were coming from how you thought of it. My approach would always be via the Oldpark therefore Ardoyne seemed like somewhere beyond.

I havenít been up that way for years but looking at the map there is an area of green named Oldpark Playing Fields, that would be what we used to call the Bone.

It was also called the Marrowbone, maybe just a bit of local slang, and is there an old townland somewhere about there called "Ballybone"? Could be how it got its name.

breandan

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 08:23:00 AM »
I heard that it was called the Marrowbone because there was a shrine to Marie La Bonne there.  ???

quarefella

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 09:49:48 AM »
I just remembered that the Bone was often refererred to as the Skinfields. I have no idea where that came from.

breandan

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 02:27:47 PM »
Skin and bone?  ???

sammy toaster

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 07:01:37 PM »
I just remembered that the Bone was often refererred to as the Skinfields. I have no idea where that came from.
the bone  consisted of  afewstreets callrd glenview,parkview, mayfair. gracehill and ardilea. there was another called glenpark but it was burned down in the twenties or blowen down inthe forties. thefootball pitch was a cinder cover field  called flax st. pitch, balleybone  was an extension of the bone in the seventies . the area between the bone and ardoyne  used to be called the brickyard, two very different districts.

maggiemay

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 05:34:51 PM »
Hi Iwas born in Ardoyne.the oldpark Road was known as the Bone.There was a football pitch between Ardoyne and theBone.On sunday evenings there were hundreds of people who attended these matches.I remember there was a pitch and toss game.
The young lads from Ardoyne used to play football in the streets,suddenly they wre all running for their lives.The police were chasing them for playing football.If they were unlucky enough to be caugth they were fined 5 shillings.those were the days!!!!
Maggiemay

Mageeka

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 03:42:23 AM »
Hi MAggie
Where have you been
Good to see you back  Stick around more lady

maggiemay

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 10:49:01 AM »
Hi Mageeka
I've just had a hip replacement,and so I've been off the air for a while
How are you?
Regards
Maggiemay

mcscraic

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 07:32:05 AM »
Hi .I grew up in Ardoyne and played football for local teams there on the Bone
pitches . There was a pitch called The Brickyard situated where St Gemmas SGirls School is now . There was also a cinder pitch at the old egg factory about where The Jamaica Inn is now .  I played for a team called Gracehill United from The Bone . I also played for St Gabriels from Ardoyne . There was always a great rivalry between Ardoyne and The Bone often fought out by teams at the Flax Street pitch that attracted huge crowds . The matches were played every Sunday from noon to nine thirty at night . The Bone had great football teams like Hearts , Parkview Rangers , Glendaragh , Diamond United and Prospect .
I had a friend  who was from the Bone . John Mc Geough and at 27 he started up a Judo school club called the Glenview Judo Club .   

As a kid I went to the Park Picture house on the Oldpark Road just above the Marrowbone district . There are lots of people from the bone area I knew .
There was a publication called A District Called The Bone by Michael Liggett .
It was part of a Glenravel History Project . Of you interested yopu could could contact them at The Ashton Centre , 5 Churchill Street , Belfast BT15 2BP .