Author Topic: The Bone  (Read 161592 times)

teap

Re: The Bone
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2007, 09:55:03 PM »

ok heres the odd numbers of Ardilea street in 1969

1 Russell Sam
3 Browne Joseph
5 McCann Joseph
7 Saunders Hugh
9 Saunders james
11 Molloy Charles
13 Sullivan Mrs ellen
15 Sheppard Mrs Margaret
17 Markey Patrick
19 Vacant
21 Oconnor daniel
23 Lovett Mrs Eliza J
27-35 Patterson ltd bakery
37 Kavanagh B
39 Mc Nearney James
41 Saunders Joseph
43 Occupied
45 Murphy Edward
47 Caulfield Mrs mary
49 McAlinden Mrs M S
51-59 St Gemmas Girls secondary School
61 Thomas Mrs Louise
63 Daly patrick
65 Caulfield Miss Mary
67  John Collins
69 Mc Kinstry T
71 Robert Coyle
73 Johnston Mrs Brigid
75 Grimley patrick
77 Maguire Thomas
79 Cousar William
81 Mulholland Mrs catherine
83 Thomas Mrs Agnes
85 J Mc Larnon
87 Clarke Miss Mary
89 Toner Patrick
91 John Watson
93 Clarke William
95 Doherty James
97 Doherty Patrick
99 James McAllister
101 Bennett Mrs Martha
103 Daly Mrs Esther
105 Murphy James
107 Walsh John
109 Donnelly Mrs Catherine
111 Carson John
113 Mulholland John
115 Hollyoak Fredrick
117 Bateson Daniel

Will now do the even side.

Colette

teap

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2007, 10:20:58 PM »
2 Rooney Mrs Lilian
4 Taylor James
6 Connoly John
8 Slavin Mrs Rosina
10 McCurdy George
12 Melarkey Mrs Elizabeth
14 Gorman Miss Alice
16 McIntyre Mrs Annie
18 Brennan Kevin
20 McAllister Patrick
22 McAllister John
24 Seawright Mrs Margaret
26 Boyle William
28 Rafferty J
30 Brogan Mrs Eileen
32 Occupied
34 Tyre Mrs Elizabeth
36 Gallagher John
38 Murry P
40 Mackin Mrs Kathleen
42 Hamill Francis
44 Hughes Mrs Mary
46 Stewart Charles
48 McKillen Mrs Bridget
50 Lappin Patrick
52 McAuley Thomas
54 McGowan James
56 Barnes Elizabeth
58 Kerr Mrs margaret
60 McVeagh Mrs Annie
62 OBrien William
64 Mahoney Samuel
66 Collins Alfred
Here is Glenpark Street
68-70 McClean H, Grocer
72 Caulfield Miss Mary
72a Gilmore Robert
74 Mccaughey Edward
74a McCabe Miss Rose
76 OBoyle Mrs Ellen
78 Quinn Mrs Annie
80 Smyth Thomas
82 Reynolds G
84 ONeill David
86a Vacant
88 Bloomfield J N
90 Bloomfield John
92 Bateson John
94 Davidson Mrs bridget
96 McCaffery Vincent
98 Somervi;;e John
100 Smyth Mrs Mary
102 McAllister G
104 Oneill James
106 occupied
108 Richards Mrs Mary
110 Quinn Patrick
112 McCallin William
114 Loughlin Mrs Rose
116 McKeown P
118 Clarke Henry
120 Doherty John
122 McLaughlin Thomas
124 Ireland Thomas
126 McGlade Mrs mary
128 McKillen Miss Rose
130 Killen Miss Catherine
132 Occupied
134 McKillin Miss frances
136 Larkin Patrick
138 Cullen P
140 McKee Mrs Mary
142 Bateson John
144 Gibson Francis
146 Hyndman Mrs Sarah
148 Armstrong P J

Plenty of Batesons in that street  ???

Hope this helps you

Colette

wellyrec

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2007, 10:37:12 PM »
this is fantastic. sitting here with these details lovely memories have just flooded through my brain . absolutely brilliant. i can see myself nigh on 40 years ago in this great street.  i can now put faces to the names.houses that i went into regularily as a kid. people i delivered papers to. some of the ones i went to school with. some of the ladies who wore "shawls". two bedroomed houses with 7or 8 in them. absolute magic. mrs caulfield . she should have been made a saint. really kind woman. thank you colette dont know what work you put into this but im sure it was plenty. when i get the even numbers i will get too emotional as a lot of friends and family were on the even side and a few have since passed on.thank you

teap

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2007, 10:44:34 PM »
Ack Welly im glad to have made you happy, and i have a 1969 street directory here it was just a matter of copying out of it so it was no trouble at all, its just im a slow typer  ;)  :)

Colette

wellyrec

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2007, 11:07:19 PM »
never knew really how heart tugging it would be to see these names again. more so that of my grandmother who passed away quite a few years ago. dear old mrs ,seawright an angel to everybody and an ambassador in her day for "the poor clares monastery. tommy smyth a fantastic human being. i really am going to have to go over the list and recall parts of my past and believe me my brain is in overdrive at the moment. thank you very much.

wellyrec

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
Hi .I grew up in Ardoyne and played football for local teams there on the Bone
pitches . There was a pitch called The Brickyard situated where St Gemmas SGirls School is now . There was also a cinder pitch at the old egg factory about where The Jamaica Inn is now .  I played for a team called Gracehill United from The Bone . I also played for St Gabriels from Ardoyne . There was always a great rivalry between Ardoyne and The Bone often fought out by teams at the Flax Street pitch that attracted huge crowds . The matches were played every Sunday from noon to nine thirty at night . The Bone had great football teams like Hearts , Parkview Rangers , Glendaragh , Diamond United and Prospect .
I had a friend  who was from the Bone . John Mc Geough and at 27 he started up a Judo school club called the Glenview Judo Club .  

As a kid I went to the Park Picture house on the Oldpark Road just above the Marrowbone district . There are lots of people from the bone area I knew .
There was a publication called A District Called The Bone by Michael Liggett .
It was part of a Glenravel History Project . Of you interested yopu could could contact them at The Ashton Centre , 5 Churchill Street , Belfast BT15 2BP .

who run the gracehill team ? was it john barnes?. i had two brothers who i am sure played for  gracehill and also played for st. gabriels       i can remember some hearts players like joey saunders , finston mageinniss and his brother , paul hull, and one of the pavis brothers. can you name any others?

tox 2007

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2007, 10:17:42 PM »
Hi - just found this site whilst browsing tonight and as a Belfast and more importantly, a BoneMan born and bred, I might be able to help you guys with some of your questions if you're still interested. I was born in Glenview Street and grew up in the Bone through the 50's, 60's and part of the 70's. I think I even have a 53rd generation copy of Michael Liggett's history on the Bone. So if anyone want to get in touch, drop me an e-mail on [email protected]

glenb

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2007, 08:52:04 AM »
My Mother's family was from the Bone, Glenview st, I don't remember any other school other than the Sacred Heart which was directly in front of her house, you had the Hall which I believe was up in Ardilea St. At the top of Glenview at the corner of the Oldpark you had the Sacred Heart Chapel

The Brickyard separated Ardoyne from the Bone originally (all gone now). You had a football pitch on Flax st where football was played continually on the weekends from teams from all over the city. Then you had the hill with the "billiard table" at the top, which was a cinder pitch, directly across from that you had the Park Picture house. The "Bone" came from the "Marrowbone", Ballymoney streets and all the others on the other side of the Oldpark from Glenview, Adilea, Gracehill etc was never really considered the Bone  by people that lived there

SAM

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2007, 10:28:05 AM »
reading about the bone, someone told me there was an  AK AK gun there during the war, is this true ? also where does glenard start and finish.

wellyrec

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2007, 10:29:33 AM »
Hi - just found this site whilst browsing tonight and as a Belfast and more importantly, a BoneMan born and bred, I might be able to help you guys with some of your questions if you're still interested. I was born in Glenview Street and grew up in the Bone through the 50's, 60's and part of the 70's. I think I even have a 53rd generation copy of Michael Liggett's history on the Bone. So if anyone want to get in touch, drop me an e-mail on [email protected]
My Mother's family was from the Bone, Glenview st, I don't remember any other school other than the Sacred Heart which was directly in front of her house, you had the Hall which I believe was up in Ardilea St. At the top of Glenview at the corner of the Oldpark you had the Sacred Heart Chapel

The Brickyard separated Ardoyne from the Bone originally (all gone now). You had a football pitch on Flax st where football was played continually on the weekends from teams from all over the city. Then you had the hill with the "billiard table" at the top, which was a cinder pitch, directly across from that you had the Park Picture house. The "Bone" came from the "Marrowbone", Ballymoney streets and all the others on the other side of the Oldpark from Glenview, Adilea, Gracehill etc was never really considered the Bone  by people that lived there
                                                                                                                                                                        at last some people from the bone. good to hear  from you guys.   have asked before so will try again did any of you know the rennies in mayfair stree t or the smiths or ed mc cabe and tom mc cabe in ardilea street???     

glenb

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2007, 07:03:58 PM »
I didn't know the McCabes, but my Mother probably would, Rosie and Jimmy, lived in a Scotch house (one up one down), that would be their Granny and Granda more than likely

glenb

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2007, 07:15:45 PM »
Where does Glenard start and Finish? Questions like that can start an argument ;)

I would venture to say that Glenard starts at Brompton Park and ends at Alliance Ave, boarded by Ardoyne Road to the North and Berwick Road to the South

As for an Ak Ak gun in the Bone, don't know but can find out

Also, a never ending argument is the following"

Jamaica st wasn't the last street before heading over the Brickyard, Havana street was, depending on who you talked to either they considered it the Bone or Ardoyne, wherever their allegiances lied, I alway's considered it Ardoyne since it was in the other side of the Brickyard right after Jamaica st

pentio

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2007, 08:36:38 PM »
Wellyrec

I have merged The Bone with Ardilea Street as you requested.

regards

pentio.

tox 2007

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2007, 08:54:26 PM »
I knew the Rennies well - Danny, Thomas, John and Alice as well as their mum and dad who came originally from Cork. Old man Rennie was a taxi driver for Star taxis who were based on the Crumlin Road opposite Agnes Street and beside Houston Williamson the undertakers and they were right next door to Crumlin Road Jail. The Rennies lived at 49 Mayfair Street next door to my granny who was the official 'knocker upper' for the district. She was an insomniac and people used to pay her in snuff to get them up for work in the mornings by hammering like hell on their front doors - problem was she used to have knock so hard sometimes that she woke up half the street who didn't all want to be wakened up !!

tox 2007

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2007, 08:58:32 PM »
Sorry - forgot to say that in relation to the many football teams from around the Bone, I had a 2nd cousin Chris Mhoney who played for several of them including Gracehill, Hearts and Glenview.