Author Topic: The Bone  (Read 175706 times)

wellyrec

Re: The Bone
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2007, 12:03:42 AM »
I went to Barney with a couple of guys from there
Flacks, Davis and Carson
Any bells ringing ?
[ /quote]                                        tox2007 mite be able to help you out .  his memory re the people in the bone is seriously good.

glenb

« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2007, 05:13:30 PM »
No, the Sacred Heart was in Glenview street, you could have shot a marley from my Grannies front door into the school,  can't remember St.Columbanus at all. Here's one for the Bone crew, Diamonds pub? Minnie Reed, Glenpark st, the wee holy shop

Donnelly's fruit and veg shop in Glenview St (well there was a couple of cabbages in the window anyway) right next door to Sacred Heart

The shop in Louisa street with King Billy on the Wall the next street over (the first Mural I saw as a child, was there all through the 60's)

glenb

« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2007, 05:22:12 PM »
Ach, now that we're on the Bone, what about the pawn shop across the Oldpark from the Chapel?

Michael Liggett, their family wasn't from the Bone, they lived there, but you had to have good credentials to claim the Bone and they would be severely contested if you didn't have the proof. He mentioned my family in that pamphlet he put out,

The Hunters, Felix Docherty, Saunders, Mulvennas, Danny Crawford, Virgil Muldoon, Reeds, McGlades, Ferrins, Clarkes (aka Nailer), Kearneys from Glenview

Brings chills up my spine writing those names, imagine meeting them in a dark alley

glenb

« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2007, 05:28:44 PM »
Havana St was in the Bone because they read the name of the street out in Mass??? are you nuts/  My family would walk through Ardoyne and go to mass in the Bone even though we were registered to Ardoyne Chapel (my Granny scrubbed the chapel every weekend even though the priest had home help (remember the dark house he lived in right next to the Chapel in Glenview st), remember the entry behind Glenview st? I loved that Chapel (still do even though Glenview is unrecognizable)

glenb

« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2007, 05:38:33 PM »
Yes, correct the Hall was at the top of Gracehill st, my uncle played darts in there, my uncles all played for Glenview in the 40s and 50s, some players I can tell you...I was lucky to have Ardoyne, the Bone, and the New Lodge all connected to my family and proud of it, the Ardoyne was clickish, but nothing like the Bone, they should have had a Bone passport because everyone there considered it a different, separate and independent part of the world

tox 2007

« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2007, 06:44:13 PM »
The Sacred Heart School at the bottom of Glenview St. WAS St.Columbanus Primary School - it was one and the same school. The Parochial Hall in Gracehill Street was used as an extension for the school.  St Coumbanus was the only school in the Bone - the nearest other school was Finiston Primary on the Oldpark Road itself almost opposite Ardoyne Avenue.

glenb

« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2007, 06:52:42 PM »
Ok, I take your word on the school,  but never heard it called that EVER, wasn't St Gemmas the closest school after the Sacred Heart?

Tox you must have known the Crawfords, Hunters, Kearneys if you're from Glenview St. You must also remember Donnelly's Fruit shop, Louisa st, Diamonds, Minnie and John Reed, Mawhinney's, etc etc

tox 2007

« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2007, 08:30:43 PM »
Glenb - St Gemma's wasn't built until the late 60's or early 70's, I think. I remember Hughie Donnelly's shop well - but it wasn't primarily a fruit and veg shop - more of a corner grocer's. The main fruit & veg shops in the Bone were on the main Oldpark Road. There was Sean Madden's directly opposite the chapel and next door to McGrand's the newsagent. It was two doors up from Ernie Mitchell's pawnshop which you mentioned and next door to it was The Reliance Dry Cleaners. And the last shop in that block was Maggie Keenan's sweet shop.The other fruit shop was Reids which was directly opposite Mayfair Street corner across the road from Rooney' butchers. Do you remember The Earlscourt chip shop beside Rooneys ?

tox 2007

« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2007, 08:33:43 PM »
Forgot to say - wasn't Harry Diamond's pub the one on the corner of Glenpark St and Antigua St ? I know that Harry bought the Horseshoe Bar on the old road to Aldergrove Airport after that.

glenb

« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2007, 07:20:53 PM »
Yes that's the same Diamonds, and I remember the Fish shop, remember the shop in Louisa st

tox 2007

« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2007, 08:12:22 PM »
I remember the chippy in Louisa Street - Lily's. What was the name of the grocery shop diagonally opposite it - was it called Milligan's ?

glenb

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2007, 09:19:32 PM »
Can't remember the name of the shop, but it was there in the 60's, if you went pass Donnelly's down Glenview made a left onto Louisa st, the shop was almost if front of you on the other side. Next street over had the big "King  Billy" mural.

My brother told me of a pub down there in the early to mid sixties, said it was one of the roughest places around back then

tox 2007

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2007, 09:23:29 PM »
I think it was called Milligan's - you're right about the location, it was on the corner of Louisa St and Walton St. I know the pub you're talking aout but can't remember it's name.

AL CAPONE

« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »
what about the feely wall?

pentio

« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2007, 10:01:39 AM »
I remember the chippy in Louisa Street - Lily's. What was the name of the grocery shop diagonally opposite it - was it called Milligan's ?
tox

The name of the shop facing Lilly's chippy in Louisa street was Armstrongs. It was on the corner of Druse Street.