Author Topic: The Bone  (Read 175675 times)

glenb

Re: The Bone
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2007, 02:38:26 PM »
Forgot all about the Feely wall and the bakery also

pentio

« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2007, 05:52:01 PM »
tox..glenb

I was searching the net for photos of Belfast and found this one of the Oldpark Road. It was taken after a riot in 1971, the place looks a right mess.

tox 2007

« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2007, 11:45:47 PM »
Nice one Pentio - thanks for the memory-jogger. Who mentioned the Feely Wall ??? Many's the time    . !!

rattler101

« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2007, 01:43:30 PM »
 8)the school in glenview street was & is called St. Columbans not Columbanus O0

Hendy

« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2007, 07:52:39 PM »
remember crossing that way in the 60s, can't remember where I was heading to, could it have been solitude to watch the Blues play Cliftonville?

Anyway, I remember my Grandad telling me that he was watching a football game being played at the bone and the referee was having a nightmare. The crowd weren't very happy with him and nearing the end of the match he bolted and boarded a tram where upon reaching the top deck blew the final whistle.

rattler101

« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2007, 12:21:59 PM »
what about the feely wall?
::) Ahh the feely wall over which all differences were sorted  ::)

wellyrec

« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2007, 10:53:57 AM »
8)the school in glenview street was & is called St. Columbans not Columbanus O0
                                                                                                                                                         hi rattler101. was reading on another thread that you went to st columbans. tox2007 and i  were in the same class. were you taught by aidan o gorman ? st columbanus was in my head as i was reading a posting by christopher re st .columbanus.

smythy

« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2007, 12:31:21 PM »
hi brendan.  yes the Oldpark is "the bone"  it is beside Ardoyne but ARdoyne is not the bone.  The local schools in the area is Sacred Heart Primary and Cliftonville Primary.  some of the street are Oldpark Avenue and the cliftonville road.  i work in the area and if you require any more information i will try to help you :D

AL CAPONE

« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2007, 02:52:11 PM »
What about the Glenpark? :) Great pint of harp. :)

smythy

« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2007, 03:16:40 PM »
Yes glenpark still there and pint of carlsberg.  the old school ct columbans is now sacred heart primary school and if anyone remembers Miss sharkey now (Mrs goodfellow ) she is still teaching, however left sacred heart 3 years ago but she is still fighting fit!! ;)

glenb

« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2007, 06:33:35 PM »
Just got off the phone with my Mother. She moved to Glenview St in 1923, at 3 years old both her and Maggie Hunter were the last wounded in the 20's trouble in the Bone. I was corrected by her, it was St. Columbans as many have said here, she scolded me and said "fer gods sake it's in cement", she also told me that it became a National School in 1927 (she's in her 80's so give or take a few years). Also, in Louisa St, Mr's Miller owned the Chip Shop and the wee shop on the corner (Marnells?) was originally Diamonds pub, and to confuse the matter the dangerous pub around the corner from that was Diamonds, and to confuse the matter Diamonds ended up on the corner of Antigua st and Glenpark St. She remembers many residents of Antigua st, she said most of that area was burned in the 1920s. Also remembers the people from Gracehill st that was killed in the Blitz etc. Want to know about the Bone, my god I don't even know my neighbours, she remembers them all, their families, where the came from, and if they're really Bone people or not. Interesting was that when they moved to the Bone when she was just born 1920, they moved into Glenview St. The house was originally occupied by the Savages, she remembers early years as the house being pockmarked  by bullet holes, and my Granda putting up a big Iron Bar across the front door to keep out the murder gangs, and he was a WW1 veteran of the British Army with one brother killed in Ypres, facinating stuff

tox 2007

« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2007, 09:51:42 PM »
Marnells shop was on the corner of Ardilea St. and Glenpark St. just a bit along Ardilea Street and on the opposite side from the City Bakery. Diamond's pub was at the opposite end of Glenpark St. As for the school in Glenview St. it had 5 different names. As well as S. Columbanus and Sacred Heart, it has also been named as Antigua street National School, St. Patrick's National school fro 1890 to 1895, St. Macanisius's  National school from1895 to 1921. It then became St. Columbanus.  What about the ghosts from the Bone ?? The Green Lady, Johnny the Bombthrower, Galloper Thompson, not to mentionThe Banshee of course ?? My granny used to scare me [censored]*less with these stories when I was a kid !

rattler101

« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2007, 12:39:20 AM »
 re; PUB ON CORNER OF GLENPARK/ANTIGUA STREETS, I SEEM TO REMEMBER IT AS ROCKS OR THE ROCK BAR.

TOX as the lady says it's written in cement, ST. COLUMBANS.

tox 2007

« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2007, 10:29:08 AM »
Rattler - it was indeed St. Columbans - it's the dyslexia. The pub was known as Rock's Bar. I think it was owned at one stage by Harry Diamond and then Jimmy Rocks took it over - I think !

glenb

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2007, 04:33:37 PM »
Rattler, replied to your PM, my Mother knew your Mother and Father very well, especially your Mother.

Tox I think you're right on the pub also. I can't believe you mentioned "Johnny the Bomb thrower" Christ I havent' heard that in years, grew up with the story....There was supposed to be a ghost around the Feely wall also. Crossing the Brickyard at night used to be a scary experience, pitch black and riddled with ghosts :)