Author Topic: The Bone  (Read 171599 times)

sammy toaster

Re: The Bone
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 10:16:03 PM »
in that district called the bone,where the boys can hold their own,theres an army called the army of unemployed, and for   sake d'ont mention work in that sweet little district called      the bone.

wellyrec

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 12:47:58 PM »
the bone  was mainly from glenview street where the chapel is . included was parkview street gracehill street  mayfair street ardilea street also up the oldpark road to the park picture house . where the playing fields are now used to be a large hilled  area where kids played football. the main football was played at the bottom of this area on a cinder pitch . teams from the bone included the glenview and the hearts. they sometimes walked from there changing "hut" up past ardilea street  over the" brickyard" and like gladiators down into the colosseum to play against shankill strollers or boville.flax street mill and street in front of jamaica st seemed to be the boundary between ardoyne and " the bone"

wellyrec

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 01:18:45 PM »
the primary school in glenview street was called  st. columbanus. not sure if it still there . great memories there. then there used to be a 6ft  wall which run along the back of lower ardilea st. and further which hid an area of grassland where kids played. used to play handball against gable wall in mayfair street on sunday nights  and also bloke called ronnie used to play guitar at that corner  ( beside mooneys butchers i think)also on sunday night while someone kept watch for the "peelers".also on sundays in the pit in the "brickyard" there was "Illegal" gambling lol called " pitch and toss" to the shouts of "heads  a  dollar " and " no tails it" also in the bone there was inglis bakery  in ardilea street and the back of it was in the brickyard. used to wait at the back gate for the returning vans to leave their unsold returns in the bins at the back gate and getting some bread at knockdown prices.the bakery shop used to sell beautiful freshbaked fare and staff were second to none.

rattler101

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 11:48:15 PM »
 8) St. Columbans school is still there in Glenveiw St.
 I started school there primary about 1953 thenmoved to Sacred heart hall which also doubled as pre secondary  O0

wellyrec

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2007, 09:13:49 AM »
take it that was the school  in gracehill street that doubled up then. what was the name of the two streets that if you came out of "marnells shop" in ardilea street and went down the road towards glenview st. was one glenpark street??

Mageeka

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 03:14:57 AM »
I went to Barney with a couple of guys from there
Flacks, Davis and Carson
Any bells ringing ?

wellyrec

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 01:21:04 PM »
was born in ardoyne but "REARED IN THE BONE".  anyone know the rennies in mayfair street or the smiths or mc cabes in ardilea street used to play football with these lads in down and connor league. anyone from the bone on this site??? any memory , yarn or bit of news would be  nice. thanks

wellyrec

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2007, 09:37:49 PM »
hi christopher , trying to recollect names of people in ardilea street in 1969. can picture the faces  and where they lived but with age i cant get the names . do you have any listings please. thanks. .

Christopher

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2007, 08:35:20 PM »
Hiya wellyrec,

teap (Colette) should be able to help out there as she has a 1969 directory.

Christopher

wellyrec

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2007, 08:48:52 PM »
hello " teap"

Christopher

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2007, 08:58:35 PM »
hello " teap"

The matter's well under control, wellyrec

I've sent Colette a PM which she'll receive the next time she logs on to the site.

Christopher

wellyrec

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2007, 09:05:12 PM »
thank you

teap

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2007, 09:24:39 PM »
Hi Wellyrec just got Christophers Pm. How can i help you?   :)

Colette

wellyrec

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2007, 09:34:43 PM »
thanks for quick reply. had relations and friends in ardilea street  around1964 to 1969 . can remember some of the faces but was wanting a list or street directorary to jolt my memory. have posted re the bone but alas not many members seem to be from there. some names that spring to mind are smiyths mc cabe  thomas,maguires mc alinden and a few others

teap

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2007, 09:37:41 PM »
okie doke bare with me its a big street  ;D