Author Topic: The Bone  (Read 175030 times)

wellyrec

Re: The Bone
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2007, 10:02:32 PM »
I knew the Rennies well - Danny, Thomas, John and Alice as well as their mum and dad who came originally from Cork. Old man Rennie was a taxi driver for Star taxis who were based on the Crumlin Road opposite Agnes Street and beside Houston Williamson the undertakers and they were right next door to Crumlin Road Jail. The Rennies lived at 49 Mayfair Street next door to my granny who was the official 'knocker upper' for the district. She was an insomniac and people used to pay her in snuff to get them up for work in the mornings by hammering like hell on their front doors - problem was she used to have knock so hard sometimes that she woke up half the street who didn't all want to be wakened up !!
        thanks for that.  was told 2nite that the family went to south africa alot of years ago . didnt big tom mc cabe live  near them in mayfair street ? your granny and my granny probably got their gallaghers snuff from the paper shop on the oldpark road facing the chapel. think it was called " morgan's " did your gran work in the mill at the bottom of ardilea street ?

wellyrec

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2007, 10:09:24 PM »
Sorry - forgot to say that in relation to the many football teams from around the Bone, I had a 2nd cousin Chris Mhoney who played for several of them including Gracehill, Hearts and Glenview.
                                                  sam mahoney in ardilea street had if i remember rite two/three  boys and a girl  chris and alec   cos  mainly my brothers  played for gracehill over the years. wonder if that is same person!

wellyrec

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2007, 10:25:33 PM »
My Mother's family was from the Bone, Glenview st, I don't remember any other school other than the Sacred Heart which was directly in front of her house, you had the Hall which I believe was up in Ardilea St. At the top of Glenview at the corner of the Oldpark you had the Sacred Heart Chapel

The Brickyard separated Ardoyne from the Bone originally (all gone now). You had a football pitch on Flax st where football was played continually on the weekends from teams from all over the city. Then you had the hill with the "billiard table" at the top, which was a cinder pitch, directly across from that you had the Park Picture house. The "Bone" came from the "Marrowbone", Ballymoney streets and all the others on the other side of the Oldpark from Glenview, Adilea, Gracehill etc was never really considered the Bone  by people that lived there
                                                                                                                                                     "the hall" was it not at the top of gracehill street. doubled as a school dance hall bingo etc etc. that wee school ie sacred heart was none other than st. columbanus primary., but alot of people could not  get the pronounciation correctly and so the sacred heart stuck.  head master was mr. murray who lived at the top of the oldpark road.  i was taught by a mr o gorman. their was one other male teacher who was of the la di da generation and two female teachers mrs mc cann was one cant remember the other. anyone know the names of these teachers???????? the boundaries of the bone are  up for debate as they have been for decades. 

tox 2007

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2007, 10:28:18 PM »
Yes - John Rennie went to S Africa and came home after a year or two and persuaded the rest of the family to emigrate there but I heard that most of them came back after a couple of years, Certainly Alice did because I know she became a nun in a convent near Dublin. Yrp, granny got her quarte ounce of Gallahers fro Morgans but she also bought it in another shop in Louisa Street - can't remember the name of it. My cousin wasn't one of the Mahoneys fro Ardilaea Street - he lived in no.6 Gracehill Street almost directly opposite the Parochial Hall.

I knew big Tom McCabe well - used to play football with him - he lived about halfway up Mayfair Street - I'll take a guess and say it was no. 35 !!

wellyrec

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2007, 10:30:49 PM »
I didn't know the McCabes, but my Mother probably would, Rosie and Jimmy, lived in a Scotch house (one up one down), that would be their Granny and Granda more than likely
   yes that them .  also had the megaughey family downstairs.

tox 2007

« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2007, 10:31:16 PM »
Can help you with the school Welly ! The other teacher was Mr Farnham - very posh guy !! The female teacher was Miss Gibbons.Mr Murray's son Gerry was in the same class as me and Mr O'Gorman taught me as well - his Christian name was Aidan and my mother thought he was real gent !

wellyrec

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2007, 10:38:18 PM »
Yes - John Rennie went to S Africa and came home after a year or two and persuaded the rest of the family to emigrate there but I heard that most of them came back after a couple of years, Certainly Alice did because I know she became a nun in a convent near Dublin. Yrp, granny got her quarte ounce of Gallahers fro Morgans but she also bought it in another shop in Louisa Street - can't remember the name of it. My cousin wasn't one of the Mahoneys fro Ardilaea Street - he lived in no.6 Gracehill Street almost directly opposite the Parochial Hall.

I knew big Tom McCabe well - used to play football with him - he lived about halfway up Mayfair Street - I'll take a guess and say it was no. 35 !!
                                                                                                                                                           did you play down and connor with big tom cos i played a few matches with tom  and also big ed mc cabe in the league other than that we played football at the waste ground where st . louisas is now. thanks for info re the rennies 

tox 2007

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2007, 10:41:03 PM »
Didn't reply on the mill question because I couldn't rememeber the name of it but it might have been called Thompsons Mill ( the famous Galloper Thompson applies ). Don't think my granny worked in that one but she certainly worked in most of the others on the Crumlin Road as did my mum and my aunts.

wellyrec

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2007, 10:47:12 PM »
Can help you with the school Welly ! The other teacher was Mr Farnham - very posh guy !! The female teacher was Miss Gibbons.Mr Murray's son Gerry was in the same class as me and Mr O'Gorman taught me as well - his Christian name was Aidan and my mother thought he was real gent !
              boy is  your memory good .   must be same class etc etc as the son had a birthmark on his face. is that correct. old farnham was on a different   planet,  wee Miss gibbons and good old aidan gorman. could never remember his first name i used to make his tea and get two digestives .lol

tox 2007

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2007, 10:54:09 PM »
Gave you a bit of duff info on the Rennies - it wasn't Alice who became a nun. It was the eldest daughter Sally and she became a nun just before they moved to S Africa.

tox 2007

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2007, 10:56:38 PM »
Aye - ould Farnham was a summer resident on Pluto, I think. Miss Gibbons was a wicked wee witch - used to pull the leg of your short trousers up and give you a right ols slap on the thigh !! Think aidan gave everybody 2 digestives but he was a great guy. Yo got it right about Gerry Murray's birthmark.

wellyrec

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2007, 10:59:48 PM »
Aye - ould Farnham was a summer resident on Pluto, I think. Miss Gibbons was a wicked wee witch - used to pull the leg of your short trousers up and give you a right ols slap on the thigh !! Think aidan gave everybody 2 digestives but he was a great guy. Yo got it right about Gerry Murray's birthmark.
                                                                   was so engrossed did not see you pm .

tox 2007

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2007, 11:15:48 PM »
Another flashback ! The paper shop on the Oldpark Road opposite the Sacred Heart wasn't called Morgan's - it was called McGrands !

wellyrec

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2007, 11:24:50 PM »
    ruddy nora.     1oz of gallaghers , the irish news and a sherbert  dip.

wellyrec

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2007, 11:38:04 PM »
Where does Glenard start and Finish? Questions like that can start an argument ;)

I would venture to say that Glenard starts at Brompton Park and ends at Alliance Ave, boarded by Ardoyne Road to the North and Berwick Road to the South

As for an Ak Ak gun in the Bone, don't know but can find out

Also, a never ending argument is the following"

Jamaica st wasn't the last street before heading over the Brickyard, Havana street was, depending on who you talked to either they considered it the Bone or Ardoyne, wherever their allegiances lied, I alway's considered it Ardoyne since it was in the other side of the Brickyard right after Jamaica st
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           at the end of mass on sundays the streetb names were called out with the amounts that were collected and       " havana street" was on the list so it was in "the sacred heart parish " and therefore in " the bone" unless anyone begs to differ.   lol