Author Topic: Why did you leave Northern Ireland during the Troubles?  (Read 18214 times)

lauren-mcc

Why did you leave Northern Ireland during the Troubles?
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:20:54 PM »
Hi,

Im a university student doing a dissertation on emigration during the Troubles and am wanting to find out why people left during this period? Was it mainly economic/personal reasons (that might have existed before the 70's), or was it a response to the problems in Northern Ireland at the time? Basically, to what extent did the Troubles influence your decision to emigrate?

Thanks for any responses!

barry

Re: Why did you leave Northern Ireland during the Troubles?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
NOW  is;nt  that  a  good  topic,   :scratch_ones_head: :unsure: :unsure:
THAT'S  THE  WAY  I  SEE  IT, THAT'S  THE  WAY I  TELL  IT.

David (Joe) Martin

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 03:16:00 AM »
I came from a traditional "loyalist" family and worked in "the yard".  I married one of the "others".  In the early days of the conflict and shortly after my daughter was born I was approached by 3 gentleman that I didn't know.  They had a list of names and they showed me some hardwear and offered me 20 minutes to clear out of the yard.  I went home and immediatly contacted Australia House to escape.  Some of the workers travelling from Lisburn down through Andersonstown must have spied me catching a bus and put 2 and 2 together and proclaimed me one of the enemy.  My mates in the yard suggested that I get back to work and they would look after me.  As if they could! I though that no matter how much I loved Belfast it was reason to clear out.   :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

twocoats

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 04:16:22 AM »
Hi,

Im a university student doing a dissertation on emigration during the Troubles and am wanting to find out why people left during this period? Was it mainly economic/personal reasons (that might have existed before the 70's), or was it a response to the problems in Northern Ireland at the time? Basically, to what extent did the Troubles influence your decision to emigrate?

Lauren: Perhaps you could let us know more details about yourself.

Where do you live?..What University are you attending? etc. etc.

You are asking members on here to give you information about themselves not knowing anything about you.

A Thread like this has been on here before.

Hope you understand. ..Twocoats
Homophobia, racism, sexism, bigotry and sectarianism is still alive..

Burnsy

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 04:27:45 AM »

Lauren: Perhaps you could let us know more details about yourself.

Where do you live?..What University are you attending? etc. etc.

You are asking members on here to give you information about themselves not knowing anything about you.

A Thread like this has been on here before.

Hope you understand. ..Twocoats

:good:
It's Nice to be Nice.!!

lauren-mcc

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 08:38:24 AM »

:good:

Sure, well I am a student at Newcastle University and I am living here at the moment. I was born and brought up in Edinburgh in Scotland, but moved here for University. The reason I'm interested in doing this is that my dad emigrated in 1974 to Birmingham, and the more I looked into this period the more it seems nothing has really been written about it. The 1970's wasn't a period of high emigration for Southern Ireland, and this seems to have clouded the fact that in Northern Ireland emigration did noticably increase during the Troubles. I have spoken to my dad and also a couple of family members who left, but I was hoping this forum could give me a broader picture of why people left.

twocoats

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 05:37:59 PM »
Sure, well I am a student at Newcastle University and I am living here at the moment. I was born and brought up in Edinburgh in Scotland, but moved here for University. The reason I'm interested in doing this is that my dad emigrated in 1974 to Birmingham, and the more I looked into this period the more it seems nothing has really been written about it. The 1970's wasn't a period of high emigration for Southern Ireland, and this seems to have clouded the fact that in Northern Ireland emigration did noticably increase during the Troubles. I have spoken to my dad and also a couple of family members who left, but I was hoping this forum could give me a broader picture of why people left.

Thanks Lauren for your Prompt reply....

I would agree with you that Emigration from Northern Ireland probably did increase during the early seventies and the Troubles.

There are some stories already on here in the Exiles Section.

Good luck with your research.

Perhaps folk could PM you as well.

Take care....TC
Homophobia, racism, sexism, bigotry and sectarianism is still alive..

tboy

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 11:22:31 PM »
i was always   myself mr. paisley. :D

Crow

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 01:06:36 AM »
Sometimes replies are best via PM.  PM me and I'll give you my story, warts and all, if you're interested.

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 10:52:25 PM »
Hi,

hi lauren, while searching for another thread i came across your thread.. on the bf this subject is very touchy..most of us exciles are from all parts of n.ireland and have become friends on here.. we all imagrated for our own reasons, some for safety reasons, some for no work.  i came in 74 and that was a bad time, i had a job but left it to come  here.. that is all i'm saying..i have many friends on here now that i would not have met back home, maybe..but i'm glad i've met them here... :smile:
sixtyniner

mcd

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 05:29:03 PM »
Lauren  I will  share our reasons as to why we left Northern Ireland in 1971 ,don't want to cause any hurt to anyone here on the forum as those dark days are gone forever ,if your interested PM me
Light travels faster than sound, This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

IrishDigger

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 12:28:38 AM »
This probably will not help the student's research paper but thankfully I left long before the so called troubles -- I saw the writing on the wall. ;)

Cheers.

barry

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 12:56:49 AM »
This probably will not help the student's research paper but thankfully I left long before the so called troubles -- I saw the writing on the wall. ;)       GEE   IRISHDIGGER  u  must  be  like   1000 yrs  old,  or  more,   :smile: :smile:   sorry  could'nt  resist  that,   cheers  barry.

Cheers.
THAT'S  THE  WAY  I  SEE  IT, THAT'S  THE  WAY I  TELL  IT.

IrishDigger

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 08:30:06 AM »

G'day Barry, yeah, I was thinking that myself ( Jeez thank goodness my English Teacher is not around)

I guess when you talk of the troubles in Northern Ireland, you need to actually make reference to the century. :smile:

Cheers.

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 04:08:29 PM »

G'day Barry, yeah, I was thinking that myself ( Jeez thank goodness my English Teacher is not around)

I guess when you talk of the troubles in Northern Ireland, you need to actually make reference to the century. :smile:

Cheers.
:D
sixtyniner