Author Topic: Why did you leave Northern Ireland during the Troubles?  (Read 36219 times)

barry

Re: Why did you leave Northern Ireland during the Troubles?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 10:15:09 PM »

G'day Barry, yeah, I was thinking that myself ( Jeez thank goodness my English Teacher is not around)

I guess when you talk of the troubles in Northern Ireland, you need to actually make reference to the century. :smile:   YA  IRISHDIGGER, unfortunately,  thats the  sad  truth,  cheers  barry.

Cheers.
THAT'S  THE  WAY  I  SEE  IT, THAT'S  THE  WAY I  TELL  IT.

cyprusrose

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 11:00:03 PM »
I agree, but i left Belfast in 1970 because i feel women in our family were just expected to marry the boy next door and have 12 children just like my mother did. women were repressed it had nothing to do with the troubles i was home sick for years and kept going back and forward still do....but my life turned out so different that it would have if i had stay in Belfast.
Lauren  I will  share our reasons as to why we left Northern Ireland in 1971 ,don't want to cause any hurt to anyone here on the forum as those dark days are gone forever ,if your interested PM me

mcd

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 11:19:31 PM »
I agree, but i left Belfast in 1970 because i feel women in our family were just expected to marry the boy next door and have 12 children just like my mother did. women were repressed it had nothing to do with the troubles i was home sick for years and kept going back and forward still do....but my life turned out so different that it would have if i had stay in Belfast.

I am very glad to hear that, you obviously made the right decision for you  good for you . ;)
Light travels faster than sound, This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

David (Joe) Martin

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 03:26:25 AM »
I believe that if you ask the people who left around that period they would almost all feel that they were right to go.  Almost all of us will still have great feelings for our homeland and that will never change.  We had great development potential that was sabotaged by a few for their own agenda. :( :( :(

barry

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 05:29:22 AM »
I believe that if you ask the people who left around that period they would almost all feel that they were right to go.  Almost all of us will still have great feelings for our homeland and that will never change.  We had great development potential that was sabotaged by a few for their own agenda. :( :( :(
     HEAR  YA  there  i  had  3  reasons  2 boys   n   a   girl,  never  would  have  left   otherwise ,   cheers  barry.

David (Joe) Martin

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 06:18:35 AM »
Right on Barry.  My first child was born and I had to make a decision but I was lucky and knew what to expect as my family had already been to Australia and we returned after 3 years.  wasn't a big stretch for me.  My Son was born in Australia and I am so proud of how they have both have grown to be wonderful people.   Do you ever have a quite time when you just sit and think of what could have been if our forebearers had the sense to change things and throw out the rubbish.  I have mentioned in another thread that I will make a trip home in August this year and I have no idea of what to expect.  My expectations and great Belfast memories may be shattered forever.  As they say sometime "abcess makes the fart go honda"     

mcd

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 04:41:41 PM »
 :girl_cray: :girl_cray:

for us it was the right thing to do at the time.... But i left my heart in Northern Ireland the day we left. .a very sad day   :girl_cray: :girl_cray:
Light travels faster than sound, This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

tboy

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 09:40:14 PM »
i left my little wooden leg  hanging on a metal peg in dublin zoo. you would cry too :D

David (Joe) Martin

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 12:39:10 AM »
mcd I am sure that you speak for the majority of exiles.  The older I get the more I miss the place and the more I relate to cultural things.  In my upbringing I missed out on the real history of Ireland, the music and the things that now seem to be growing important to me.    :cray:   

barry

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 01:09:09 AM »
hi  david  j  martin,  im  not  to  sure  how  long  ago  u  left  ire,  but when  you've  been  away,  it's  never  the  same ( sorry  dont  mean  to  put  a  damper  on  your  plans )  i  think  we need  to  go  back, kinda  get  out  of  your  system,  i  sincerly  hope  in  your  case  its  the  exception  to  the  rule,  i   honestly  mean  that,  yours  truly  barry.

David (Joe) Martin

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 02:15:31 AM »
I know what you mean Barry.  We left in 61 for Aust and returned in 63. When I got married i  left NI in 1970 and not had a trip back in that time.  I may well be living on memories as you say, and I do need to clear the head before it's too late.    :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

robertnoel

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 09:04:21 PM »
There wasn't enough room left in the house for me and my girl friend was Scottish so I thought I would escape the sectarian stuff and move to Scotland. Little did I know!!!!

robertnoel

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2010, 09:13:51 PM »
Couldn't agree more than Joe Martin. It was right for me at the time but the older I get the more I think of all the good aspects of Belfast. Particulary the humour but also music and dance.

Alaun

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2010, 03:01:08 AM »
We left N.Ireland in 1973 for the same reason as most people would, the troubles and mixed marriage. We came to Australia with five children, who have all done well in their lives. I have been back twice before my husband died here in 1990 and ten times since. The place has changed beyond recognition, and I can see it every time I go back. Even though the place has changed, the people dont, they are still the same, but we change, and they dont, so keep that in mind, whenever you go back. I still love the place.

barry

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2010, 03:04:03 PM »
hi alaun,  good  point, i  agree  we  do  change,  i  guess  when  you  leave ( any  country)  you  have  to  change  some  what, but  i  think  we( I  HOPE )  keep  our  sense  of  humor,   cheers  barry.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy