Author Topic: Why did you leave Northern Ireland during the Troubles?  (Read 36219 times)

SIXTYNINER

Re: Why did you leave Northern Ireland during the Troubles?
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 12:46:16 AM »
hi alaun,  good  point, i  agree  we  do  change,  i  guess  when  you  leave ( any  country)  you  have  to  change  some  what, but  i  think  we( I  HOPE )  keep  our  sense  of  humor,   cheers  barry.
hi barry, after last night's meet, i think we can say that we never do .. :D
sixtyniner

Alaun

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 01:48:15 AM »
I can never get enough of the NI humour, I crack up at some of things that they say even here on BF. Dave Allen was asked were all Irish people naturally funny, he said only the ones from the North, they have the best sense of humour in the world. This quote from a master

barry

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 02:19:32 AM »
I can never get enough of the NI humour, I crack up at some of things that they say even here on BF. Dave Allen was asked were all Irish people naturally funny, he said only the ones from the North, they have the best sense of humour in the world. This quote from a master
                                                                                             :smile:    :smile: :smile:                                                           
THAT'S  THE  WAY  I  SEE  IT, THAT'S  THE  WAY I  TELL  IT.

poogle

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 11:13:47 PM »
Too many friends hurt,too many friends killed,too much hate,too much unemployment and no silver lining on this cloud.

jmac

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2010, 11:36:17 PM »
Too many friends hurt,too many friends killed,too much hate,too much unemployment and no silver lining on this cloud.
Hi poogle, I still live in old place, I along with thousands of others have had friends & relatives senslessly murdered & injured, discriminated against & left struggling to make ends meet,but we have to have faith & believe that there is a silver lining to our cloud, :smile: :smile: :smile: god willing the cups half full & not half empty :smile:
Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2010, 11:38:23 PM »
hi poogle, you sound so down hearted..where did you move too..i came to canada in 74.  been home a few times..but all my family is still over there.. :(
sixtyniner

poogle

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2010, 01:15:11 AM »
    Apologises,not at all down hearted,I love Belfast and it's colourful characters.But whenever,I am ask why did I leave-it brings me back in time and as a teenager back in the late seventies looking forward to a future of more of the same didn't look very appealing and it also appeared like nothing was going to change anytime soon-no silver lining showing back then.Thank God,all that has changed over the last decade.(I moved to the US- midwest in 1981.)   

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2010, 10:55:20 PM »
    Apologises,not at all down hearted,I love Belfast and it's colourful characters.But whenever,I am ask why did I leave-it brings me back in time and as a teenager back in the late seventies looking forward to a future of more of the same didn't look very appealing and it also appeared like nothing was going to change anytime soon-no silver lining showing back then.Thank God,all that has changed over the last decade.(I moved to the US- midwest in 1981.)
hi poogle, no need for apoligies, i think that's how a lot of us thought but i got married in april and my husband, now ex, moved to ont. at the end of may  where his sister was living..i found it very strange from our way of living and the people so different..but i'm still here althought when my kids were small i thought of going back again.. how about you..where abouts in the us are you, sorry i have to ask but i was never good at geography.. ::) ::)
sixtyniner

poogle

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2010, 09:32:05 PM »
Sixtyniner,
          Live in a small town just south of Indianapolis,absolutely love it.Last time I was in Belfast was 4 yrs ago and couldn't believe how it was changed and changing-nice to see.

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2010, 10:16:15 PM »
Sixtyniner,
          Live in a small town just south of Indianapolis,absolutely love it.Last time I was in Belfast was 4 yrs ago and couldn't believe how it was changed and changing-nice to see.
hi poogle, it's been about 8/9yrs since i've been over. last time  i went with my daughter and we did a few of the castles which she wanted to see but i could not get over the change in down town..even all over the place.. i would have gotten lost if i'd been by myself..people still the same.. :air_kiss:
sixtyniner

poogle

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2010, 05:36:02 AM »
Sixtyniner,
       The people will never change,good craic,great characters and that undying sense of humor.

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2010, 03:44:28 PM »
Sixtyniner,
       The people will never change,good craic,great characters and that undying sense of humor.
good morning poogle, i say hear hear.. that's why when we had out meet, it was like meeting old friends and everyone just jumped in right away..people we had never met in person just on the bf..it's the same all over the world..if you meet someone from belfast it's like meeting a friend,  you just stand and chat.. :air_kiss:
sixtyniner

kraftcheese

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2010, 08:33:38 AM »
good morning poogle, i say hear hear.. that's why when we had out meet, it was like meeting old friends and everyone just jumped in right away..people we had never met in person just on the bf..it's the same all over the world..if you meet someone from belfast it's like meeting a friend,  you just stand and chat.. :air_kiss:

69er, Wish I could have been there!  I haven't been to Belfast since 1992 and am looking forward so much to going next year.  My youngest sister (aged 52 - a mere youngster!) has just - last night - gone back home for her first visit in 34 years, (she was only 9 yrs old when we emigrated, and only 18 when she last went home with our mum), and I'm sad that I couldn't go with her just at this time.  In 1992, I visited Sketrick Castle, Castle Archdale, Carrickfergus castle and others.  At 'Carrick' I played 'giant chess' with my elder sister (who still lives in Belfast) and we dressed up in old-fashioned clothes and played like big kids.  We had a ball and the best laughs.  I can't wait until next year!  :( :smile: :smile:
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2010, 04:29:07 PM »

69er, Wish I could have been there!  I haven't been to Belfast since 1992 and am looking forward so much to going next year.  My youngest sister (aged 52 - a mere youngster!) has just - last night - gone back home for her first visit in 34 years, (she was only 9 yrs old when we emigrated, and only 18 when she last went home with our mum), and I'm sad that I couldn't go with her just at this time.  In 1992, I visited Sketrick Castle, Castle Archdale, Carrickfergus castle and others.  At 'Carrick' I played 'giant chess' with my elder sister (who still lives in Belfast) and we dressed up in old-fashioned clothes and played like big kids.  We had a ball and the best laughs.  I can't wait until next year!  :( :smile: :smile:
hi kc, we did the carrickfergus castle and it's amazing when you're standing up on the "turrets"?  it's like standing in a piece of history.. we saw a few others although we did not go in. but i've been to blarney many moons ago..we did not have the time to do that.. i bet your sister will have a good time..she will find such a difference in the place..
you know kc, when we had out meet we all thought of people who could not be there but we had their spirits with us..who would have guessed when we first talked about having one that so many would come..they are talking about the next one i think some time in the fall.. :air_kiss: :air_kiss:
sixtyniner

kraftcheese

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2010, 01:59:25 AM »
hi kc, we did the carrickfergus castle and it's amazing when you're standing up on the "turrets"?  it's like standing in a piece of history.. we saw a few others although we did not go in. but i've been to blarney many moons ago..we did not have the time to do that.. i bet your sister will have a good time..she will find such a difference in the place..
you know kc, when we had out meet we all thought of people who could not be there but we had their spirits with us..who would have guessed when we first talked about having one that so many would come..they are talking about the next one i think some time in the fall.. :air_kiss: :air_kiss:

Aw thanks 69er.  It's great that so many of you got together.  Good luck with the one in the fall - I hope it's just as successful!  :air_kiss: :air_kiss:   
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy